What happens if you don't oil your fretboard?

Mr Songwriter

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The fingerboard will not feel greasy at all.

Lemon Oil is OK for cleaning, but does nothing to help the wood. You can also use naphta for cleaning. I use Formby's Build-up Remover.

For conditioning the fingerboard I use Roche-Thomas Premium Bore Oil. It's cheap and works great. The 2 oz. bottle will last me a few years.

what about that "fret doctor" stuff? i've been thinking of getting some.

i use lemon oil on all of my guitars at least a few times a year. it never feels "greasy" or anything afterwards- you're supposed to wipe the excess up/off. it does feel and look a little better though.

• Members

what about that "fret doctor" stuff? i've been thinking of getting some.

i use lemon oil on all of my guitars at least a few times a year. it never feels "greasy" or anything afterwards- you're supposed to wipe the excess up/off. it does feel and look a little better though.

I'm sure that Fret Doctor is good, but IMO it is way overpriced. The Roche-Thomas seems to be pretty similar, and I think I paid $2.95 for a bottle.

I just ordered the Doctor's wax. From what I've read their products are quite good.

• Members

I'm sure that Fret Doctor is good, but IMO it is way overpriced. The Roche-Thomas seems to be pretty similar, and I think I paid $2.95 for a bottle.

I just ordered the Doctor's wax. From what I've read their products are quite good.

shit i'll have to look into that- thanks.

man somebody showed me some old jackson he had with a rosewood fretboard a few weeks ago- a bass player- the fretboard looked so dried out and you could see these little cracks in it all over the place it looked horrible. poor guy i didn't have the heart to tell him it looked like shit :lol:

god i dont want to let that happen to any of my guitars lol

• Members

Go to GC and check out some of the cheaper guitars. Look for ones that have
spots of white in the grain towards the edges of the fretboard. That's what it looks like if you never oil it.
Let it go for even longer like that and you run the risk of the wood cracking.

My Gibson L00 was made in 192? and has never been oiled. These spots should be along any day now i'm guessing. :rolleyes:

• Members

did it to one guitar and it seemed to be oily forever.
:(
Never did it again and they were all fine even after many years....

How much did you use? :confused:

None of the fingerboards I've worked on have felt oily at all. A few drops go a long way.

• Members

I oiol my fretboard everytime I change my strings, which isn't that often. I have a very light touch and I clean my strings after playing, so they last a long time. I use Gibson fretboard conditioner usually,

250111.jpg

but sometimes I use this:

251242.jpg

both work, well..

• Members

The fingerboard will not feel greasy at all.

Lemon Oil
is OK for cleaning, but does nothing to help the wood. You can also use naphta for cleaning. I use Formby's Build-up Remover.

For conditioning the fingerboard I use Roche-Thomas Premium
Bore Oil
. It's cheap and works great. The 2 oz. bottle will last me a few years.

Same stuff-mineral oil. Seriously.:)

• Members

I think oiling is only necessary if the guitar needs it (well obviously). I've had and seen guitars that were in dire need of fretboard oil (my drummer has a LP cherry faded that the fretboard turned very dry and light beige until I oiled it.... drummers :facepalm:). Your fretboard might not ever need it, however if a fretboard looks very dry and unhealthy, oil it! Probably has a lot to do with how you store your guit-fiddles, my drummer keeps his on a stand in a deep basement.

Archived