what is the best way to get a cheap tele?

Say Ocean

• Members

No idea about a Fender neck on an SX tele. I've heard that the neck pocket is wider on the SX so the Fender will fit, but it will be sloppy. No personal experience.

I seriously love the neck on these guitars, that's why I bought this model. The bound satin finished maple neck and jumbo frets are SMOOTH. No reason in my eyes to change the neck unless you just want it to look and have the same radius as a Fender. I see it like this- it's a great guitar and it is an SX- period. It's not a Fender.

Sorry for the rant at the end there.

Lou

Thanks for the info.

No worries about the rant, I hear ya. Thing is for me I have been wanting to get a "Pagey" vibed Tele going as of late. That contoured body would be perfect for that if it had a rosewood board. Not that Page's Tele had the contours but an ash contoured Tele body would be nice and comfy and fit the bill.

• Members

for the record a fender neck will fit the GFS / Xaviere bodies that are sold seperatley but will NOT fit a Xaviere that was sold as a complete guitar...

the Xaviere guitar body has the neck pocket cut for a 22 fret neck with the heel extending all the way to the 22nd fret... fender necks the heel is at around the 21st fret and if its got a 22nd the fretboard is extended...

tried swapping the neck in my xv-620... wasn't even close to being in the right spot..

• Members

Prol' already been asked but do those Rondo bodies take other type necks easy enough? Fender, warmoth,etc?

yep. I have an SX neck on my Fender. That's a contemporary Strat.

CONT5.jpg

I hear ya LouDogg. No rant. It's an SX. They're different, but I like them.

The closest cheap neck to a Fender that I've found is the New York Pro Deluxe. Satin finish w/ vintage size frets. Nicely made.

The Xaviere's are nice too. Look at the neck. If you like the amber color and glossy finish, you'll like them.

• Members

Squier Affinity - $169.

Damn fine for the money - heck, pretty dang nice regardless of price.

Go to Guitar Center and find a winner, and you'll be in good shape. The butterscotch is particularly nice, probably because with the finish they have to use at least relatively nice pieces of wood for the body.

This. I have the butterscotch blonde which has a 3-piece alder body. I bought it sight unseen from MF and it came perfectly set up and in tune. Plus, the cust. service guy called me personally to tell me there was a blizzard so shipping would be delayed one day...he then offered me a 20% coupon. MF gets a bad rap around here, but I just don't see it.

My only prob is I love the sound of a Strat neck pup, and the Tele is a little weak. Other than that, I challenge you to find a better Tele for the money.

• Members

Lots of good choices in the cheap tele category...

But the CV tele wins.

Yeah, I change my vote. I went from wanting an Xaviere, to now wanting a Classic Vibe Tele. I just wish it came in different colors, but it looks cool enough! :)

Good luck with your Tele purchase...enjoy!

• Members

Classic Vibe all the way to the bank. Love mine. Played quite a few MIM's first. I was dying for a tele and just couldn't find one i liked. I played a CV strat at a store and it felt nice so i figured i'd pull the trigger on the tele , sight unseen. Glad i did, LOVE that guitar. who'd a thunk a squier would kick hiney.

• Members

how often does that classic vibe come up used? not seeing any used on ebay

I've seen a few as scratch and dents at musiciansfriend.com, where they go for 260$. That's where I got my classic vibe strat. But you gotta be anally persistant cause ppl scour those scratch and dents and snatch them up mega fast.

• Members

Another vote for CV tele. Nothing comes close (at least not that I've played) Absolutely nothing needs to be upgraded. Mine took only one strip of aluminum tape on the back of the pickguard to make it virtually noiseless at all but high gain settings which is amazing since the pups are not noiseless pups. The color is great too. Looks much better in person than it does in any of the pics I've seen.

• Members

All of you Squier CV Tele fanboys are bastards :mad:

I just pulled the trigger :facepalm:

I have been holding my finger over the button for months...since I recently sold my Squier VM Thinline to go with a Nashville, then couldn't justify it.

I just got a Squier Deluxe Strat that is awesome.

All this continued talk of the CV Tele pushed me over the edge :rolleyes:

BTW, I ordered it as a blem from M123. They (and WWBW) still have it at the pre-increase price of $299.00. AMS also still has it at $299, but they are backordered until end of March.

Hurry!

• Members

squier classic vibe tele is the price you're looking for

This is such a no-brainer! Best bang for the buck, I've owned many tele's and this one is as good as anything in the sub-1000$ price range.

And if you don't believe my words, listen to it:

[YOUTUBE]tG5-kwGHhBM[/YOUTUBE]

And absolutely NO MODS needed!

• Members

I scored a few really good LITTLE guitars (just for blingdogg
:thu:
)
for great prices there. Most of the time they are just returned because someone didn't like the color or there is a very small blemish. I have yet to see any major damage or flaw from a blemished/returned item I've bought. It'll be in better condition than 99% of used stuff and probably 75% of the stuff you'd buy off the rack that has been played.

MIM is a real good way to go too. But for biggest bang for the buck it would be the CV if I was shopping.

haha :lol: I'll never get used to people saying that. It'll always make me cringe, I can't stand it!!!. :p

• 6 months later...

Archived