How to access your subconscious more?

Phait

• Members

I really ought to do this more often.

I went to sleep a few hours ago and was half awake/half asleep and a sudden memory came of this movie that I had a real dark association with, something that I'd found scary as a kid. I knew it was an older movies, 70s or 80s and it involved a person or two in yellow raincoats with the hood. I didn't remember any faces, but I do remember rainy scenes with this raincoat person or people.

So I just Googled and found it might be Alice, Sweet Alice. If anyone has seen it, do you recall a rainy scene? Here's a fanmade trailer, I definitely have to watch this now

More interseting: a remake is set for this year? according to Wiki article...

alicesweetalice12879470.jpg

Anyway, I found this very interesting because I have not remembered this movie since I saw parts of it in my childhood. It's like I was almost in dream state and it came out of nowhere from my subconscious -- and I now wonder, what other memories do I have hidden away there?

It reminds me of a subconscious flashback in high school, which I haven't had since. I was mentally adrift sitting in biology before class really began, and I had this flux of old memories I had forgotten just stream on through. And it made me happy if only for the fact that they were really forgotten or buried, and being uncovered again. I was thinking as this happened, "I must write this down!" but was too entranced to do anything. With every portion of the seconds that passed as I thought this, they faded away and I do not remember what they were.

• Members

Phait, you accessed that memory when you were in a hynogogic state.

At that time, your brainwaves were beating at either Low Alpha (7 or 8 hertz) or deeper, into your Theta brainwave state (4hZ---7hZ).

Alpha and Theta (and, to a degree, Delta) are where your creativity, visualizations and connection to cosmic consciousness lie.

And you can access them regularly and on demand, if you so choose.

You need to buy yourself a SOUND AND LIGHT MACHINE. They come in all prices, but all do variations of the same thing: use pulsations of light and sound to entrain your brain and "drop it" into whatever frequency range you choose. This is not sleeping; you won't fall asleep. Rather you'll drop into the healthful meditative frequencies that artists and Buddhist monks have accessed for aeons, and you can stay hovering in these frequencies for as long as you like.

PDPROTbigdev.jpg

Then: while you're down in Alpha or Theta, hold in your hand a tiny digital voice recorder and speak into it your thoughts and ideas and impressions.

Later, when you listen to it, it will blow your mind. Promise.

• Members

Actually Phait; you don't have to buy anything. You just need to learn how to meditate. There are many books and tapes on the subject. Most major libraries have "The Silva Method" on tape and if you get the book and actually do the exercises you will indeed learn how to meditate, and then you have to practice. And the more you do it the better you will get at it and this will give you access to your subconscious mind.

Good luck.

Try not to think about it too much. :D

Seriously, when presented with a particular problem or creative challenge, I'll think about it for a while, and if an answer doesn't quickly spring to mind, sometimes I will just stop actively trying to "solve" it, and let the answer spring to mind later - in a dream, or "out of the blue" when I'm not actively thinking about it.

That's something I picked up from one of my doctors after I had my head trauma accident in the 1990s. Amnesia is a PITB, and they told me as I was in the recovery process that if I tried too hard to remember things, I would become frustrated, and that it would be counter-productive to continue to plow through things at that point, so they recommended that I go on to something else and return to it later.

It's similar to trying to recall a name or quote or whatever and having it "on the tip of your tongue", but still just out of reach of your conscious mind. The harder you try to remember, the more elusive it often is. But when you set it aside and move on to something else, a lot of the time, your subconscious gets busy working on the problem you presented it with via your conscious mind, and BAM - it springs to mind.

• Members

Actually Phait; you don't have to buy anything. You just need to learn how to meditate. There are many books and tapes on the subject. Most major libraries have "The Silva Method" on tape and if you get the book and actually do the exercises you will indeed learn how to meditate, and then you have to practice. And the more you do it the better you will get at it and this will give you access to your subconscious mind.

Good luck.

I agree. I don't even think you need to do any reading or listening to tapes. It's as simple as:

1. Sit comfortably with eyes closed

2. Breathe slowly and steadily

3. Put all your concentration on your breathing

4. Continue doing that until thoughts stop intruding on the calm

5. Once you've achieved the calmness of mind, keep meditating a while

6. Repeat often

This is yoga meditation. It's remarkably useful for organizing your thoughts and mind.

• Members

You may not want to know everything that's in your subconscious.

I assume that there's a reason we are constructed with a limited consciousness - some sort of generally positive function is served. Some things are placed in the subconscious for a functional reason, and the conscious mind dips into that well sporadically and somewhat randomly for it's own purposes. There's a sort of back-and-forth between the two aspects of our nature that seems to work.

That's not to say that some active spelunking into the subconscious cannot be beneficial. I've done a good bit. And I'm a big proponent of enlightened consciousness-expansion. But I guess what I'm saying is that it seems some folks assume that, as far as drawing up whatever you can out of the subconscious goes, that more is always better.

I don't share that assumption.

And I think we've got two strands of thought going here - meditation on one hand and subconscious-spelunking on the other. Meditation does seem to get one closer to one's "center" (whatever that is). But I think it extremely unlikely that one's "center" is the same thing as one's subconscious.

nat whilk ii

• Members
Meditation does seem to get one closer to one's "center" (whatever that is). But I think it extremely unlikely that one's "center" is the same thing as one's subconscious. nat whilk ii

There are many ways to access ones subconscious, and meditation is only one. Ones center and ones subconscious are not the same thing although they share the same path. We will usually only be able to integrate the parts of our subconscious that come up in a a passive meditation that we are capable of integrating. Meditation is not like therapy or a guided exercise. If we can be stil and center ourselves we will get an opening. What we do with that opening is up to us.

• Members

You may not want to know
everything
that's in your subconscious.

Man! That's the truth. Personal neuroses, unspeakable sexual kinks, violent impulses, racism, awareness of your own ineluctable death...... they all dwell there.

Mature indeed is the adult who can successfully integrate his subconscious into his waking ego.

Journals help.

• Members

Man! That's the truth. Personal neuroses, unspeakable sexual kinks, violent impulses, racism, awareness of your own ineluctable death...... they all dwell there.

Mature indeed is the adult who can successfully integrate his subconscious into his waking ego.

Journals help.

Also there's the phenomenon of the experiment changing the results of the experiment. Meaning, say that in the subconscious there are a host of (figurative) demons and angels held in some sort of psychic tension. And that tension serves some overall purpose for the individual - balance, fear of extremes, warning signs, energy - who knows what-all.

But if you reach in the subconscious bag and just pull out this or that, you are seeing the "thing" you pulled out in an unnatural state - as an objective thing, out of context, unbalanced by it's opposite.

And furthermore, you've converted a subconscious item to a partially conscious item, and I speculate that it might change the operation of that item in the overall psychic configuration. You might, for example, assign a status of reality to the item that is unwarranted and either scare yourself or flatter yourself (paranoia or megalomania).

An example might be the possible creation of false memories. And then those false memories are as it were inserted into the program, and off you go somewhere nature and rationality didn't intend.

Anyway...too much self-tinkering is I think a real danger. We all know hypochondriacs and neurotic navel-gazers and other sorts whose psychic kites have gotten loose in the winds of chaos. We are all amatuers in self-knowledge.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Mature indeed is the adult who can
successfully integrate his subconscious into his waking ego

This is where I try to stay. And some professionals would say that we are actually prisoners of our own ego which dictates most of our actions without our conscious input. I don't completely agree, but I do see some truth there. I just don't see ego as the enemy. The truth is most people's subconscious is probably playing second fiddle to their ego. In fact, their ego is probably so strong, it is in constant battle to suppress the their subconscious.

I would even venture a thought that the trick is to find balance. Rather than integrating the subconscious into the waking ego, one should find out how to harness the power of both.

• Members
I would even venture a thought that the trick is to find balance. Rather than integrating the subconscious into the waking ego, one should find out how to harness the power of both.

And that is exactly what a good therapist, and therapy attempt to do.

• Members

This is where I try to stay. And some professionals would say that we are actually prisoners of our own ego which dictates most of our actions without our conscious input. I don't completely agree, but I do see some truth there. I just don't see ego as the enemy. The truth is most people's subconscious is probably playing second fiddle to their ego. In fact, their ego is probably so strong, it is in constant battle to suppress the their subconscious.

Actually the ego is an illusion, sort of a false front or facade covering up who we really are. We do get caught up in the illusion though, so much so as to have psychological problems.

Steve

• Members

Things like this don't go away because they are so disturbing. They sneak up on us in quiet moments.

There are some movies I wish I'd never seen; the one you mentioned and "Pet Cemetery" among others.

I wish I would have understood when I was younger that it's just as important to guard one's mind as it is to guard one's body from harmful substances. A disturbing image can be arsenic to the soul.

The Suffering and death I've seen up close and personal in real life is enough anyway.

Where it really gets interesting is how experiences, including the impact from movies influence our behavior in ways we don't connect to the event. You can figure a lot of it out

• Members

Thomas Edison would access his subconscious mind frequently. Known for his habit of taking catnaps, rather than taking long periods of sleep, his preferred sleeping pattern had a purpose. He would hold a number of ball bearings in his hand as he went to sleep, also placing a metal bowl on the floor directly under the hand which held the bearings. When he passed from waking to twilight sleep, he would drop the ball bearings and wake himself up. He found that in this state his creativity and imagination were heightened.

• Members

I was thinking the same thing.

It's not just some horror flick by another hack, though, it's by one of the most interesting (if not exactly prolific) directors of the 70s, Nicholas Roeg, who made the brilliant but widely misunderstood and neglected Performance (along with the equally brilliant and equally unconventional Donald Cammell), as well as The Man Who Fell to Earth... one of the best sci-fi movies about alcoholism ever.

• Members

Interesting. The first thing I'd say is always remember that the subconscious is a model not a hard fact of brain architecture, that it is a relatively recent model and has only been described anecdotally through dream interpretation and one man's verbally-based method of interrogation. It is also a VERY different place than Jung's unconscious.

When you're plumbing your Freudian subconscious, expect to find lots of unresolved issues and goo born of infantile sexuality and polymorphous perversity and incomplete bonding.

If you're plumbing your Jungian unconscious, expect to find a lot of heroic narrative and mythic kernels, your dark side, your inner queen and the likenesses of ancient deities you have never been exposed to in your waking life--also expect a lot of heat from proposing an a-historical explanation of how all this stuff got in you...

So if you want to make art like Woody Allen, plumb your subconscious. If you want to make art like George Lucas, plumb your unconscious. ;)

In fact, recognize both as models, not places, and models of a very specific period in the history of thought.

Archived