What kind of guitar picks do you use?

the_gunslinger

• Members

I have used Ultex picks for a couple of years, preferring the Dunlop or Clayton .88mm they were a great choice. Longer lasting and better sounding then tortex. I use the larger ones with 3 usable corners.

I just recently switched to V-picks

http://www.v-picks.com/

The model I like:
Large%20Pointed%20with%20quarter.jpg

I have not been using them long, and they are expensive ($4-5.00 per pick) but what I like is
1) they, suprisingly, don't slip
2) they seem ideal for pinch harmonics
3) they glide over the strings with their beveled edges actually seeming to add speed to my playing

what takes some getting used to
1) they are thicker than picks I have been using
2) they have less flex than I'm used to

It is a different experience but I think you will find they are less fatiguing on your right hand. Some claim notifiable tone improvements, I'm not sure but they do articulate well. Also Vinnie at V-picks is excellent with the customer service so far. I plan to get some of the ruby ones next.:cool:

(The picks are all hand made and beveled which adds to their cost I'm sure....check out the sight)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I played 1mm Nylons for probably 10 years, then .88mm Tortex for abouter 10 years. The last 2 or 3 years I've been playing red Jazz IIIs and black Tortex Jazzes.

Overall though, I'm pretty easy to please. I can make due with a Fender celluloid medium just as well as those 2mm stubbies, but I prefer 1mm-ish Jazzes.

• Members

I have some custom made thick stainless steel picks, and these are my fave, but I can get by with Brass or whatever. I prefer metal picks, but in a pinch will use plastic, as long as it's thick. I dont like ANY flex in my pick at all.

This is on electric...on acoustic I usually use my fingers, but often use a lighter plastic pick.

:thu:

• Members
I have some custom made thick stainless steel picks, and these are my fave, but I can get by with Brass or whatever. I prefer metal picks...

:thu:

Really? I can't stand metal picks... maybe its just my incredibly sloppy playing style, but I hate the 'scratchy' sound that comes with using one...

• Members

I've been using Jazz IIIs lately. Usually I use the red ones because for me they're easier to hold on to than the black Stiffo ones, but sometimes strangely enough I don't have a problem holding on to the black ones and they seem to have a harder attack than the red ones.

I like them because as somebody said they're very fast and articulate, due to the small size, thickness and sharpness of the tip.

Dunlop now has a "Max Grip Jazz III" and that might help the OP with some of the problems he's having holding on to his picks. I don't see them available in any online stores yet, tho.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=403&pmh=products/picks

1246323368_Max_Grip_JazzIII_463X342.jpg

• Members

I used the red Dunlop Jazz III picks for maybe 24 years. I recently switched to the Dunlop Jazz III Ultex. It has exactly the same shape and feel as the red ones. I'm not sure if it sounds that different, but I find them easier to grip. Although they're harder to locate when I drop one on the tan carpet.

• Members
P_5827_S00.jpg

I buy 'em by the gross.

Been using them since Fall 1989. But I fingerpick most of the time anymore.

Been using these since I started playing guitar when I was 16 because I saw them on James Hetfields mic stand.

Tried a few others over the years but they never felt the same

• Members

Ahh... picks.

I have used MANY MANY diffrent types. I play music that has a lot of clean playing in it or simple overdrive. Sometimes distortion.

After enough comparistons to start an online blog - the following are my humble observations based primarily on SOUND produced by the pick.

LIKE: Jazz III XL - extra large sized Jazz III - the BLACK ones. This is great for distortion playing where articulation in a distortion type of way is needed. I have compared the Red and Black, and black wins. Red is a little more "rough" in a nylon sort of way on the string - black is better. Red seems a littel softer on the touch too.
ALSO LIKE: Ultex sharp .90 for like styles of playing

LIKE: Star picks Orange [.60] and Yellow [73]. The Star Orange are very very good for acoustic guitar, and the yellow fine too. This is a well rounded sound that's clear without putting out distorted trebble sounds. Feel descent in the hand.

BEST overall for SOUND: Dunlop Ultex .73. The feel of these is a littel stiffer than many of that thickness, perhaps that helps with some of the sounds. The individual picking and strumming on these is clearest, most perfectly balanced yet lively I have found. Moving down to the .60 size for instance creates a bunch of extra treble overtones that mess up clarity.
The .73 Ultex picks have a narrower angle of perfect picking sound than many [twist it too much and you loose your grip on strings by the pick]
They also stay put in my hands very well, and I like the subdued look of the transparent amber color. They are now my pick because of sound.
OH, and they work wonderfully for acoustic too. I've ususally used something with more flexibility, but pluged in they are the clearest, sweates, yet lively picks on acoustic electric I have found.

Yes, I wish this was a paid advertisement. :thu:
1246488822_ULTEX_Standard_463X342.jpg

Archived