What kind of guitar picks do you use?

the_gunslinger

• Members

This has probably been asked before on this forum, but what kind of guitar picks do you use? What works best for you, and does anybody modify their picks like I do?

I use to use gator grip tortex picks, usually 1.14 mm, but those are like paddles to me. I found that the dunlop jazz III is best for me. It's really thick and articulate, which I can't get the same articulation from standard tortex picks. I suffer from sweaty thumbs syndrome and even these jazz III's escape my grip sometimes. What I've done to counter this problem is I lightly burn the gripping end of the pick with a lighter to burn away the smooth finish, then sand it in a cross hatch pattern with really course sand paper, usually 100 grit. The picking end stays nice and smooth and untouched. This gives me a lot of grip on it and I haven't dropped one of my modded picks yet. Plus it's small.

Anyone do something similar?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What brand pick is that? I might have to try it out.

For the record, I can't use thin picks. Anything less than 1.0mm the pick starts to flex, and it doesn't snap back quick enough for me to hit the next note string, or note, or whatever. It drives me nuts.

Those are dunlops nylon standard.

I have a jar of pics various brands styles and sizes. But I find myself useing dunlop .88 1.0 or 1.14 Tortex standards either of the three. I only use the thin on acoustic from time to time.

• Members

Currently, I have one Stagg pick... around .75mm I think. Really need to get more, better picks...

I have eight Dunlop red Tortex, but I don't use them because they're too thin. Don't know why I bought them.

Anyone tried Dunlop Ultex? The description on the website makes it very tempting indeed.

Archived