What kind of guitar picks do you use?

the_gunslinger

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been using Jazz IIIs lately. Usually I use the red ones because for me they're easier to hold on to than the black Stiffo ones, but sometimes strangely enough I don't have a problem holding on to the black ones and they seem to have a harder attack than the red ones.

I like them because as somebody said they're very fast and articulate, due to the small size, thickness and sharpness of the tip.

Dunlop now has a "Max Grip Jazz III" and that might help the OP with some of the problems he's having holding on to his picks. I don't see them available in any online stores yet, tho.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=403&pmh=products/picks

1246323368_Max_Grip_JazzIII_463X342.jpg

• Members

Jim Dunlop .73 or .88mm Nylons for electric.

Jim Dunlop .6 (mainly in the studio) or .73 for acoustic.

I find them really comfortable.

Depending on how much attack and depth you give the pick, you can get from really percussive strums to rigid attack without breaking the strings, picks or carving channels into the guitar.

I have used .46 Dunlops in the studio on acoustics for effect as well.

I'd be better off blowing on the strings than using them live though.

• Members

I use Cool Pick Jazz Thins 1.0mm. IMO they are the best. They have this sandpaper grip that keeps it where it is supposed to be but is very comfortable... doesn't peel the skin or anything. Whenever I see them I buy them all cuz they're kinda hard to find. I have about 30 right now. Anything else feels like I'm playing with a slick boat oar.

• Members

used to do Jazz III's too small

Used to use the Tortex - wore down too fast

Used to use Fender - broke too easy and wore too fast

Used to use Gibson - same as Fender

I now use the First Act picks you get a Wal-Mart - nice tight tip, has graphics that stick in your hand and the tip just won't wear out!!

they are GREAT - and $5.00 for 10 Picks = the big winner!!

Archived