what is so standard it has become generic?

jjpistols

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
would.

did ...

back in my tatoo'd days, while playing a 12 bar blues version of canon rock (in drop C) on a black/white strat, as I hummed SRV's Pride and Joy and Billy J. Armstrong sang Boulevard of Broken Dreams on the radio.

I had that onion firmly planted.. not tied to my belt like some of these lame-asses.

• Members
did ...

back in my tatoo'd days, while playing a 12 bar blues version of canon rock (in drop C) on a black/white strat, as I hummed SRV's Pride and Joy and Billy J. Armstrong sang Boulevard of Broken Dreams on the radio.

I had that onion firmly planted.. not tied to my belt like some of these lame-asses.

Fly your freak flag high brother!!

• Members

- White collar Caucasian males playing "blues" on ultra-expensive guitar and amp reissues.

- The lack of adventure and experimentalism in modern music (there are few exceptions)

- Stale old codgers who refuse to acknowledge there's great music outside of the Beatles, the Stones, and Zeppelin.

- Top Ten Greatest Guitarists Lists.... how many more times and by how many more "experts" can Jimi Hendrix be voted as "the greatest"... when he clearly isn't?

- Vampires

• Members
- White collar Caucasian males playing "blues" on ultra-expensive guitar and amp reissues.

- The lack of adventure and experimentalism in modern music (there are few exceptions)

- Stale old codgers who refuse to acknowledge there's great music outside of the Beatles, the Stones, and Zeppelin.

- Top Ten Greatest Guitarists Lists.... how many more times and by how many more "experts" can Jimi Hendrix be voted as "the greatest"... when he clearly isn't?

- Vampires

If you had asked me in 1980, this would be almost exactly what I'd have said.

• Members
So now we can tell people what words are fit for them to use to because we think they aren't cool... Awesome
:thu:

While I get what you're saying, I hear "fail" so often from the most obnoxious of people, clinging to an internet meme that has been around for years and they discovered last week, that I get sick of it, too.

• Members
Hipsters plugging jaguar/mustang/jagstang/cyclones etc into lo-fi pedals

I am pretty far away from being a hipster.. but I adore some of the really lo-fi garage rock distortion sounds from some San Francisco bands. What are these lo-fi pedals you speak of? that sounds up my alley..:poke:

• Members

$5 cover charges for downtown bar stages on weeknights.

Roots-influenced bands singing "John the Revelator" a cappella with hand-claps.

Bass players who make their lines too busy for what the song needs. (The great ones all know when to back off.)

People who anonymously hate on other local bands in the "musicians" community forum on Craigslist.

Sellers who obviously know better omitting the name "Squier" from their "Fender Guitar" for-sale ads.

Aging hair-metal tribute acts. (Nothing wrong with liking that music, but they are becoming about as ubiquitous as the "white guys in hawaiian shirts playing 90s-revivalist style blues" bands. Also, spandex pants and open-front tops don't usually work so well when you're on the wrong side of 40. Put on a hawaiian shirt and go play Kid Johnny Lang covers with the other old-timers, 'kay? Thanks.)

Live solo acts using loopers. ESPECIALLY if they are looping on an acoustic, and set up a "drum" track for each song by whacking on the face of their guitar. Done. To. Death.

You know what? That felt good to get off my chest.

• Members
Stevie Ray Vaughanabees

There was a point where every event that had live entertainment would feature a dime store version of a Vaughanabee, sometimes with just the silly hat. It was enough to make me never want to hear his music for a good span of years.

Me? I'm getting really tired of open mike/local night performers that think an extremely emotional performance is a replacement for decent songs or some practice.

• Members
Wood guitars in general, amps,effects, and accessories found in GC/MF, and most M & P stores.

It gets old really fast if you have been playing longer then 10 years.

I actually think that most of that box store stuff is pretty cool when it comes down to it for the simple fact that I wish there was so much basically decent lower priced gear to choose from when I started out.