what is so standard it has become generic?

jjpistols

• Members

The PRS + Mesa Boogie combination in recorded, radio friendly 'hard rock'.

Modern day heavy metal. It seems to me that all the same gear is used. Same vocal formulas. A bit too much of the same old, same old. Guys & gals go out there trying to achieve something they perceive to be extreme, when in fact it's entirely a mainstream trend at the moment.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
breaking guitars

Conforming to the masses of people that self profess their antifashion and disdain for conformity by parading the same exact tatoos and piercings, haircuts, facial hair styles and uniform-like clothing fashion in a failed attempt to show everyone else how rogue and independent of mind and style they are.

Truth so absolutely pure.
:thu:

• Members

You guys are on crack. Black Strats are awesome, like black LPs, and a box full of happy kittens.

But I'm sure your seafoam green/baby blue/manly pink Strats make you feel special and remind you of when you used to tie an onion to your belt before a gig at the sock hop.

;)

• Members

Tie an onion to your belt? I don't understand that phrase at all. It's just... what?

Oh and Drop D, anything Gibson or Fender, and my all time favorite thing to hate:

People in Drop C or lower tuning, highs and lows maxed, distortion up the ass, and play the first 2 or 3 strings open and muted, and then play any of the following frets on any of the first 3 strings: 2 3 5 7 8 10 12, aka Aeolian aka the sad/dark minor mode. And then the icing on the cake: When that player mentions how much they love Slipknot, Korn, Disturbed, System of a Down (I like SOAD, but not like those dumbass middle school kids that don't know anything about music or guitar playing at all), and any underground bands that play the same way.

Or that same thing, but instead they do the open strings and play random frets to make it sound really diminished, cept they don't actually know the diminished scale and just know a few tabs, or try to make up their own stuff and call it improv, when it's just playing single finger power chords.

I wish all those kids would die, or get kicked in the balls for playing that crap.

• Members
You guys are on crack. Black Strats are awesome, like black LPs, and a box full of happy kittens.

But I'm sure your seafoam green/baby blue/manly pink Strats make you feel special and remind you of when you
used to tie an onion to your belt
before a gig at the sock hop.

;)

WTF Please explain, I wasn't around then.

• Members

Throwing horns

Head banging

Blues faces while playing (Or as Frets says... being taken behind by a camel faces)

"Real" guitars

13 year olds with GC sucks stories because they have no money, they don't give any {censored} away and get pissed if someone loiters all day without buying something other than a pick.

Teh BrOOtalz

"Underrated" threads

"OMG" threads

GFS Threads

"Road worn" threads

Gibson vs. Foreign vs. Guitars made on planet Ming threads.

Ian

"Help me pick a guitar...amp...girlfriend...pedal...dog...strap... motorcycle...sex threads.

Clown burst LPs

• Members
WTF Please explain, I wasn't around then.

Grandpa Simpson: "We can't bust heads like we used to. But we have our ways. One trick is to tell stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for m'shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt. Which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Gimme five bees for a quarter, you'd say. Now where was I... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones... "

• Members
breaking guitars

Conforming to the masses of people that self profess their antifashion and disdain for conformity by parading the same exact tatoos and piercings, haircuts, facial hair styles and uniform-like clothing fashion in a failed attempt to show everyone else how rogue and independent of mind and style they are.

Similarly, players thinking they are being left-field and out there by spending well over the odds for custom teles and pawn shop junkers. The same as everyone else.