NGD: 1974 Strat

funbnme

• Members

Just got it today. It's in great shape. Couple of spots on the side of the neck where the finish has worn off (3rd & 5th fret area) and a few little bumps on the back, but other than that, it's in awesome shape.

Just need to put some new strings on it and adjust the string height.

Here are a couple shots.

DSCF1284.jpg

Olympic brothers

DSCF1285.jpg

I was playing it tonight...the hardest thing for me to get used to is the 3 position switch. Don't want to mess with the wiring at all, but I keep reaching to put it into the neck/mid spot and it just doesn't go there without having to carefully put it between the two positions.

• Members

$3,880 packed & shipped.

Don't anyone tell me I got ripped off either...that would be rude since I already have the thing.

I think I paid a fair price for it (from what I could find as recent sales for early 70's stuff). The 70-72 years were just way out of my price range for one that was all original and in good condition.

Thanks for the 'pure sex' compliment....but I haven't really fallen in love with the Mesa yet. I wind up playing my Marshall DSL a lot more. I even bought a 4x12 cabinet that I run the boogie through and that helped the sound a lot, but still haven't found the right settings for me with the amp. But I keep tweaking.

• Members

Good question on the weight. No scales in the house - I'm the only guy here and you know how the women hate scales. But, I used the non-scientific method of holding guitars in both hands to see if there's a difference.

It feels really close to the same weight as my 82 Smith and 87 Strat Plus. Feels lighter than my Agile goldtop (and I think those are supposed to weigh 10 lbs).

I'm not a big fan of standing with heavy guitars either and have played mainly strats for 20+ years and the 74 doesn't feel heavy.

This one has the staggered pole pickups, so from what I read over at stratcollector.com, this was probably made from the leftover stock on hand from before Fender was sold.

• Members

$3,880 packed & shipped.

Don't anyone tell me I got ripped off either...that would be rude since I already have the thing.

I think I paid a fair price for it (from what I could find as recent sales for early 70's stuff). The 70-72 years were just way out of my price range for one that was all original and in good condition.

Thanks for the 'pure sex' compliment....but I haven't really fallen in love with the Mesa yet. I wind up playing my Marshall DSL a lot more. I even bought a 4x12 cabinet that I run the boogie through and that helped the sound a lot, but still haven't found the right settings for me with the amp. But I keep tweaking.

Looks pretty sweet for a micro tilt Strat! If you love it that much than money doesnt really matter!:thu:

• Members

This one has the staggered pole pickups, so from what I read over at stratcollector.com, this was probably made from the leftover stock on hand from before Fender was sold.

That's what you want. I would have bought it.

Like I said, I have a lot of Fender 70s stuff over the years.

You'll find early 1974 stuff is fairly light and when it's light you have the staggared poles 9/10 times. When I see the flat pieces I'll only buy if it's super cheap so I can part it out.

I have also found the three bolts are no trouble on the good years, it wasn't until late 74 that you see wiggle in the pocket. In the early stages they were doing the three bolt right and it was a great system - better then 4 IMHO.

The other difference is the necks got flatter, just by a tiny bit in 74. If you hold two side by side you can tell the early 74 from a late one - the early ones are a little more 'round' feeling on the edges of the board. The profile is the same but the edges and fretboard are different.

• Members

$3,880 packed & shipped.

Sounds fair to me. It is in really nice shape and doesn't sound like it's heavy.

Archived