NGD: 1974 Strat

funbnme

• Members

Lovely guitar. My favourite Fender styles are all 1958 and earlier or 1968ish through 1980 or so. I love those old CBS looks, th big headstock ,the big logos.... A 74 would be something I'd love, it being my birthyear, but the rise in prices in those killed that for me as an option. If I'd only bought one when I was 18.... back then (1992), a pre CBS Strat could be had for a grand sterling, and an early 70s for, if memory serves, the equivalentt of about five hundred dollars today. Then the sixties stuff got stupid expensive, so collectors turned to the 70s, the Japanese buyers started on the CBS era Fenders, and off it went...

This one has the staggered pole pickups, so from what I read over at stratcollector.com, this was probably made from the leftover stock on hand from before Fender was sold.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that September 74 was the point at which production Strats shifted from staggered to flat poles. I prefer staggered myself, though TBH that's more aesthetic than anything.

• Members

Didja pop the neck to make sure it's for real? I'm sure everything is super kosher, it's just some serious cash for guitar and it's always good to verify. I remember when a music store I loved in NY had a black '72 or '74 with a black guard, black PUs, and a maple neck...near mint. I didn't dig the big headstock and passed on it for $500 bucks. While not from what's viewed as the golden era it would be worth a ton more today. But I'm not one to consider resale value and investment when I buy a guitar, I just want something that sounds great.

Enjoy that bad boy.

Archived