In your opinion, what is the single greatest Fender amp ever made?

PancakeBunny

• Members

Greatest, or quintessential? Two different things, imo.

Greatest would probably be the 5F6-A tweed Bassman, for it's sound, and how it inspired Marshall. Pretty hard to argue an amp that has remained very popular for over 50 years.

Quintessential would be the Twin Reverb. Big loud clean Fender tone.

This. If I could have two amps to use for the rest of my life, a Tweed Bassman w/ a couple overdrives for my dirties and a Blackface Twin Reverb for da cleans would be all I ever needed.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Of all the Fenders I've owned and played this is the one that has stuck around so it must be the '65 Princeton tremolo for me.

1925951048_5c2aff4118.jpg

My cousin has one of these, and it's one sweet, lightweight little gem. I haven't played with a twin or bassman, so I can't comment on those, but the deluxe reverbs I've plugged into have been fantastic. Frankly, I think this is a question that has no correct answer. Hell, I have all kinds of love for my dumb little pro jr!

• Members
My cousin has one of these, and it's one sweet, lightweight little gem. I haven't played with a twin or bassman, so I can't comment on those, but the deluxe reverbs I've plugged into have been fantastic. Frankly, I think this is a question that has no correct answer. Hell, I have all kinds of love for my dumb little pro jr!

Sunday I took it over to a friend's house to let him play on it for a while. I'm surprised I made it out of there with the amp! He was smitten. :lol:

• Members

Since the Twin Reverb seems to be among the winners, does anyone know why the amp has two channels -- one Normal and one Vibrato? I own one and never use the Normal channel. While I don't keep the vibrato on, I just add a touch of reverb. But is there an advantage to the Normal channel? Is it a different circuit or does it just bypass the reverb and vibrato? I know this is a question for the amp forum, but I get better answers here.... Thanks.

Also, does anyone else remove two of the output tubes, as mentioned above?

• Members

Since the Twin Reverb seems to be among the winners, does anyone know why the amp has two channels -- one Normal and one Vibrato? I own one and never use the Normal channel. While I don't keep the vibrato on, I just add a touch of reverb. But is there an advantage to the Normal channel? Is it a different circuit or does it just bypass the reverb and vibrato? I know this is a questio for the amp forum, but I get better answers here.... Thanks.

Also, does anyone else remove two of the output tubes, as mentioned above?

The amp was designed in the days when 2 or 3 people would plug in to it at once. Really.

• Members

The amp was designed in the days when 2 or 3 people would plug in to it at once. Really.

I agree... You can put just about anything through it. I've tried vocals, bass, a sampler, but I've always used the Vibrato channel for guitar. I have an AER Compact 60 that I use for vocals and sampling, so the Normal channel doesn't see much action. Thanks!

• Members

Can i have a Three part answer on this one?

Best all around Fender amp...

64 Deluxe Reverb

Best hot rodded

68 Bassman

Best budget priced use for everything practice /gig/knock around

The MIA Blues Jr

Only one thing I would add.

The ProSonic!!

Great heavy AND clean tones could be made with that amp. An actual true "Class A" amp, unlike other amps who make that claim, and could easily give most Marshalls, Mesas and even Riveras a run for their money. US made (not MIM like most Fender amps now are) and truly a great amp. Wish I had bought one when they were still around.

• Members

Only one thing I would add.

The ProSonic!!

Great heavy AND clean tones could be made with that amp. An actual true "Class A" amp, unlike other amps who make that claim, and could easily give most Marshalls, Mesas and even Riveras a run for their money. US made (not MIM like most Fender amps now are) and truly a great amp. Wish I had bought one when they were still around.

the prosonic was an awesome amp

• Members

Tweed, brown, blonde, black, silver... whatever. What amp from what era do you consider to be THE quintessential Fender amp.

Is it the Fender original tweed Bassman? The blackface Super Reverb? Tweed Deluxe? Or is it something else entirely? Maybe the Champ?

What is the best Fender amp?

The greatest Fender amp for me is the one Ill never be able to afford!

• Members

I have a 65 Twin, 67 Princeton, 73 Bassman, Blues Jr, plus used to have the ProSonic in the studio (miss it) that was on loan.

I still think overall the ProSonic was nice, even the Vibro King was cool... but I cant get into the sound of the Bassman to be honest. Its there so people can use it in the studio but Ive maybe used it a handful of times. The cabs kick ass tho.

octogardenAMPS.jpg

Archived