BG Pickups Hellarail review and a short clip.

riffy

• Members

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=27424A short review of the BG Hellarail Pickup.

Bryan Gunsher, is in short a pickup genius. I won't usually resort to such hyperbole to describe an attribute of a person, much less a person as a whole.

In this case though, I personally am of the opinion that it is not only warranted,

but needed to describe the way he winds pickups.

Bryan sent me the #1 prototype of the Hellarail pickup to use. Such a nice

gesture to begin with and I surely do not deserve such a kindness, but I

digress. This pickup is a very hot wind. It is up around 17.5K f not a bit hotter.

I have never used a pickup this hot to the best of my knowledge, although, I

have used and love hot pickups. This pickup is an evil looking black with two

slippery shiny black rails in place of the normal screw or Allen type pole-pieces.

To say it is slick looking is an understatement. Simply beautiful work all around

on this piece.

How does it sound you say? Simply stellar in all respects in my humble estimation.

It does high gain in an outrageous manner. It is tight and percussive. Palm mutes

sound thunderous in the room. Chords are tight and articulate, even when playing

7ths and 9ths. I can play minor 9ths and hear every string ring out cleanly. There

is no slop in this pickup. The lead sounds simply scream off the fretboard. You hear a singing note and will be amazed at the amount of sustain it has. You can make is sharp and biting, or smooth and smoky with equal ease, just dial your amp

in and this pickup will sound great.

Most high output pickups don't clean up or split really well, but the Hellarail does both. Clean sounds are bright and spanky and would fit in with a funk band just as

easily as it would a heavy metal band in full on distorto mode. I dig the split sounds

that it does in my Les Paul as well. Skanky and snarky are two words that come to

mind. Using a wah with this pickup in split mode will give you 'Shaft' sounds all day

long or Isley Brothers if that is more your bent.

I can't say enough good things about this pickup or Bryan himself. He is the type

person that everyone wants to deal with. He will sell you his "standard" winds or he

will work with you on any custom wind that you have in mind. His work is stellar as

is his service. You won't go wrong with trying a pickup of his or even a set. I personally want a Lizard in the neck position of my Les Paul now to go with the

Hellarail. That to me, would be the best of both worlds.

I have enclosed a short distorto clip of the Hellarail. I must say though, I don't think

either my playing skill or recording chops do this pickup justice though. It is tax return time though, and I will be getting a new recording interface! YAY! So, hopefully, my recording quality will improve by leaps and bounds if my playing abilities won't.

Gary

• Members

Hey guys! Thanks for all the kind comments. The KUDOS go to BRYAN though. He can sure wind some KILLER pickups that make these kinda

sounds possible... I sure wish I could get a recording to sound like it

does in the room!

Gary

• Members

Gary, thanks so much for taking the time to do the review and clips. Though I think my wife might disagree with the genius thing.:p But thanks for the kind words.

Your playing and tone in the clips was stellar. I'm looking forward to hearing more.:thu:

Just so you guys know Riffy has the exact pickup I used to make my video.

• Members

Gary, thanks so much for taking the time to do the review and clips. Though I think my wife might disagree with the genius thing.
:p
But thanks for the kind words.

Your playing and tone in the clips was stellar. I'm looking forward to hearing more.
:thu:

Just so you guys know Riffy has the exact pickup I used to make my video.

Bryan,

Your wife knows... Like most wives she just won't admit it!

Thank you so much. I am going to do a bunch more, I can't

help it, this pickup just smokes... After I get my tax money

back, I am going to be wanting one of these for my 7 string

as well!!!!!!!!

Gary

• Members

Bryan,

Your wife knows... Like most wives she just won't admit it!

Thank you so much. I am going to do a bunch more, I can't

help it, this pickup just smokes... After I get my tax money

back, I am going to be wanting one of these for my 7 string

as well!!!!!!!!

Gary

I'm looking forward to more clips.

In the mean time here's the video I did with the same pickup in case someone haven't seen it yet.

yE9mK2GWCy8

• Members

All the positive things I hear about BG just make me GAS for V60s even more. It will be a while to save, as there are many other parts to get for my project, but it's a dead cert that I'm gonna be a BG player :thu:

Great clip, man :thu:

• Members

Riffy or Bryan, can you post a close up pic of the Hellarail please? I want to see if it resembles a X2N or a Bill Lawrence L500XL. Thanks.

ps. Bryan, will this become a standard production pickup you make? If so I am down for one.

• Members

Riffy or Bryan, can you post a close up pic of the Hellarail please? I want to see if it resembles a X2N or a Bill Lawrence L500XL. Thanks.

ps. Bryan, will this become a standard production pickup you make? If so I am down for one.

Here's a photo of 2 of them one shiny and one flat black distressed.

hellarails2.jpg

They are a regular model now. You can find them on my site right below the HellaBucker.

• Members

Here's a photo of 2 of them one shiny and one flat black distressed.

hellarails2.jpg

They are a regular model now. You can find them on my site right below the HellaBucker.

Cool Deal!!!

Do you think you will be able to do a 7 stringer in the Hellarail Bryan?

Tax return money is coming and I have to have one for the 7 stringer now!

Gary

• Members

I can't tell the difference Bryan. Can you shoot one in natural lighting or with more lighting the top is so dark even with my brightness turned up. I can't tell if the bobbin is fiber or plastic or if it is black or what looks more like charcoal grey. Also are the rails black or chrome it looks like it could be either by that picture.

Can you do these in cream or in zebra?

• Members

I can't tell the difference Bryan. Can you shoot one in natural lighting or with more lighting the top is so dark even with my brightness turned up. I can't tell if the bobbin is fiber or plastic or if it is black or what looks more like charcoal grey. Also are the rails black or chrome it looks like it could be either by that picture.

Can you do these in cream or in zebra?

The bobbin is plastic and it's black. The flat black is just the regular glossy bobbin sanded down. It does look like fiber when it's sanded. The rails are black.

They only come in black.:thu:

Archived