Scam scum

ExiledCrow

• Members
It was at a Long & McQuade in Ontario, Canada.

Oh, Mr. Goodbomb, I was not posting towards you in particular. No need to get snippy.
:thu:

I know, and nor was I. It's just generally my thought on threads like this, dredging up past BS that is entirely unrelated to anyone here on the forum but involves pages and pages of {censored}. Who {censored}ing cares?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
I know, and nor was I. It's just generally my thought on threads like this, dredging up past BS that is entirely unrelated to anyone here on the forum but involves pages and pages of {censored}. Who {censored}ing cares?

Well I thought you did since you have 21 posts in this thread.

Sorry, you left yourself open for that one. ;)

• Members

I think that you can point fingers at anyone you want in this kind of situation, but to me it all comes down to the point that just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should do it.

It's not only questionable legally, because deception is a form of fraud (especially since zero money changed hands here), but someone would have to be morally bankrupt to pull this kind of stunt.

They didn't work him over; I've done that plenty of wheeling and dealing in my life, but they lied to his face and took his merchandise from him for nothing in return. That's theft; I don't care how you try to reword it, point out the old man's responsibility, or if you could technically get away with it in a court of law on a technicallity or fancy talk.

If it happened to you or someone that you cared about you would be pissed. Just because it was the other way around doesn't make it all right.

If they didn't think that it was wrong than that really doesn't say much for them as people.

• Members
If the employees knew the value of the guitars this is a pretty clear case of both theft by swindle and theft from their employer for the retail value of the guitars. In most states this would be a felony.

should be here as well. if anyones managed to pinpoint which store and go in to tell the management, im betting they are already fired. LM is a large corporate chain, and even this little old discussion on the internet is probably bad enough press for them to want to make it go away.

LM is owned by yorkville sound. they are the canadian distributor for gibson.

• Members

I think though Mr. Goodbomb you are working from one misconception: At no point in the story (IIRC) was it indicated that the older man was a player. Just because the guitars were old and had been played doesn't mean it was by him. They could have belonged to a recently deceased family member. Maybe he was bringing them in b/c having them around were bringing up painful memories, thus the desire to "get rid of them" ...

It still makes him hasty and maybe foolish, but not deserving of being hustled ....

• Members

Wow, and now this thread has gone a bit out of hand.

I was there for the first thread and as I said before. The big issue of the first thread was that he had the balls to come on here and expect us all to cheer him on for his accomplishment.

secondly, I brought up in the original thread why he didn't just tell the guy to go to a vintage guitar retailer such as 12th fret, mojo music, capsule, etc., and he said that they HAVE sent people in the past to 12th fret, in fact there was a guy asking a few hundred bucks for an old LP that is currently in 12th fret's store hanging for around 12,000.00.................. So he knew that sending people with vintage gear that knew nothing about what they had to an actual retailer that would take care of them was the right thing to do. In this case he did not do that, he did the opposite and decieved an old man and got a new guitar out of it.

• Members
Wow, and now this thread has gone a bit out of hand.

I was there for the first thread and as I said before. The big issue of the first thread was that he had the balls to come on here and expect us all to cheer him on for his accomplishment.

secondly, I brought up in the original thread why he didn't just tell the guy to go to a vintage guitar retailer such as 12th fret, mojo music, capsule, etc., and he said that they HAVE sent people in the past to 12th fret, in fact there was a guy asking a few hundred bucks for an old LP that is currently in 12th fret's store hanging for around 12,000.00.................. So he knew that sending people with vintage gear that knew nothing about what they had to an actual retailer that would take care of them was the right thing to do. In this case he did not do that, he did the opposite and decieved an old man and got a new guitar out of it.

ah, so this was toronto...

*ponders getting someones ass fired*

• Members

Goodbomb does make a valid point. It's one I don't agree with, but valid none the less. I still think the scumbags that ripped the old man off should be strung up by their testicles. But that doesn't excuse the ignorance of the old man. Fore warned is fore armed. And the old man didn't do his research. In this world you'll get taken advantage of if you don't cover your own butt. It may not be right, but that's the way of the world. That's Goodbomb's point. He only mentioned that about ten jillion times.

• Members
What does this have to do with "Joe Public," man? This guy has owned, and probably played, these guitars since the 60s. If he's still clueless as to how it functions, then there's something very wrong.

How do you know know all of this? These guitars could have belonged to hypothetical his dead brother for all you know. The whole premise of your argument is that is it OK to rip someone off if they are and idiot. I can appreciate that there are people who agree with you on this point, but it gladdens me to know that that most of those people live in place called prison. :thu:

• Members
I'll say this: the ethics of the original transaction notwithstanding, anybody that called or contacted the guy's employer about this is a bigger douchebag by several orders of magnitude.

None of this is the business of anyone here. You don't mess with someone's employment.

You know what; you'd almost have a point if it was a private conversation amongst friends, but once they posted where they worked on the internet and the details of the story the employer has every right to know what's going on with his company's name on the internet.

And to be perfectly frank, these types of people are going to end up finding a way to get fired some other way. This just saves everyone some time and hopefully saves the owner's reputation.

They deserve to be fired for about 4 different instances of stupid.

• Members
How do you know know all of this? These guitars could have belonged to hypothetical his dead brother for all you know. The whole premise of your argument is that is it OK to rip someone off if they are and idiot. I can appreciate that there are people who agree with you on this point, but it gladdens me to know that that most of those people live in place called prison.
:thu:

Dear {censored}ing Jesus. I never said it was OK. I just said it's going to happen. Please stop putting words in my mouth for the sake of your arguement. Thanks.

• Members
You know what; you'd almost have a point if it was a private conversation amongst friends, but once they posted where they worked on the internet and the details of the story the employer has every right to know what's going on with his company's name on the internet.

And to be perfectly frank, these types of people are going to end up finding a way to get fired some other way. This just saves everyone some time and hopefully saves the owner's reputation.

They deserve to be fired for about 4 different instances of stupid.

Here's the thing though: no one here has any real facts about what happened. If it happened at all. All there was was a post on the internet. It could be 100% real, and it could be 100% bull{censored}, or anywhere in between. Regardless, there's no way for anyone here to know, so there's certainly no good reason to get involved with the whole thing and contact the guy's employer. That is as clear a case as possible of sticking your nose in where it doesn't belong.

• Members

I'll say this: the ethics of the original transaction notwithstanding, anybody that called or contacted the guy's employer about this is a bigger douchebag by several orders of magnitude.

None of this is the business of anyone here. You don't mess with someone's employment.

So if someone comes on here talking up a crime that they committed, then we are suppose to turn a blind eye to it? :facepalm:

{censored} THAT!

• Members
and by "common sense" I have to assume that you mean, crass, backwards and full of BS. :poke:

You sure are a presumptuous little {censored}, aren't you?

If you're stupid, people are going to take advantage of you. The world of full-service gas stations that start pumping before you've paid and tabs at your local convenience store are over. I wish that weren't the case, but there are too many slimey people, like the OP, willing to con a man out of his dollar or his property, and if you're not careful, that very thing will happen. For someone who acted so clearly dimwitted as this guy, I have trouble feeling bad for them. End of {censored}ing story.