Scam scum

ExiledCrow

• Members

I don't know how much the seller's fault this was, but the original OP definitely was shady and new his guilt. His original post talked about how the old guy came in asking what he could get for the guitars and was told "nothing". So the old guy basically told them to dispose of them. These guys knew they had something. This dude ended up with a 1960 Melody Maker.

He even put the name of the store he worked at in his post. When he was called out that I was going to e-mail the company to let them know of his bad practices and also potentially taking sales out of their pockets, he edited his post to take out the name of the business he worked for. Later when I told him that I had e-mailed the president of L & Q and he e-mailed me back telling me thanks, the OP deleted his post entirely and later the whole thread was gone.

Yeah, he knew that he {censored}ed that old guy and was trying to save his sorry ass job!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I was in my local GC the other day.

I see a guy walk in with a clean looking Vetta I amp.

I know what it means when someone comes in with something like that... they're trying to get GC to buy it.

I see him talking with the night manager, who has to go off and check on something... maybe look at e-bay auctions, whatever.

They offer they guy a low price for it.

As soon as he's free of the salespeople, I go up to him, introduce myself, and inquire about the amp. He tells me he doesn't want to sell for that, but needs some quick cash.

I offer $50 more than the GC guy, and since he had not finalized the deal with GC, he says "sure", and meets me outside. I give him the cash, and we're both pretty happy.

I did get the amp for less than what it would be "worth" if I wanted to take my time and sell it... he did get more than what he was offered by GC.

I don't feel like I "stole" it from him, I be he doesn't either.

I do feel like I was at the right place at the right time.

M

• Members

So old guy walks in and ask how much is this guitar worth? Little d-bag lies to him, but its the old guys fault? Maybe the guy is naive or maybe he is just plain dumb, but its still the little {censored}bag of {censored} that was dishonest and lied to him.

No differance from that to the little old 80 year old lady that gets tricked out of giving her bank information out over the phone or gets cought up in other scams that most of us know better then to deal with.

• Members

I agree that taking advantage of someone is wrong. My father is also in his 80's and doesn't even want to know about computers or the internet. He's also wise enough to ask for assistance when needed. IF this is really what happened, no human laws were broken. Only the laws of common decency. He did step in the store and ask the value. They didn't go to him. The old man was taken advantage of and the business owner needs to be made aware of that fact. If fellow HC'ers did this, my hat's off to them. And I don't even wear a hat! I can only hope the scumbags who did the deed get what they deserve.

• Members

I was in on that thread when it happened, and in all honesty I think the big thing that made people go ape s*&t on that guy wasn't just the fact that he and his friend misrepresented the guitars value. It was the shear notion that he thought he could polish it up and post on here about his accomplishment and show off his new guitar, and that he expected us to praise him and shower him with happy new guitar day rhetoric.

• Members

People seem to think that, if no one sees you steal something, or cheat someone, that you are in the clear.

Not so. You now know that you are a thief. You've lost something in the process, your personal integrity.

Of all things in your life, your personal integrity is arguably the most important thing you have as a man.

• Members
So old guy walks in and ask how much is this guitar worth? Little d-bag lies to him, but its the old guys fault? Maybe the guy is naive or maybe he is just plain dumb, but its still the little {censored}bag of {censored} that was dishonest and lied to him.

No differance from that to the little old 80 year old lady that gets tricked out of giving her bank information out over the phone or gets cought up in other scams that most of us know better then to deal with.

One's an out and out systematic scam, the other is an idiot believing the first person he talks to when they say "it's not worth anything" and simply GIVING them the instruments.

{censored}ING.

STUPID.

There's no way around that.

• Members

One's an out and out systematic scam, the other is an idiot believing the first person he talks to when they say "it's not worth anything" and simply GIVING them the instruments.

{censored}ING.

STUPID.

There's no way around that.

So, because someone is and "idiot" it makes it OK to take advantage of them? Wow!

That is Sad moral compass you possess.

• Members
So, because someone is and "idiot" it makes it OK to take advantage of them? Wow!

That is Sad moral compass you possess.

+1

Besides, not everyone knows, or even thinks that old guitars are worth stupid amount of money. Most people think that they just depreciate in value over time like almost everything else.

• Members
+1

Besides, not everyone knows, or even thinks that old guitars are worth stupid amount of money. Most people think that they just depreciate in value over time like almost everything else.

He came in EXPECTING a considerable amount. The OP said that in the deleted post. The person came in expecting a decent amount because it was a vintage instrument. Then he asked a SALES PERSON, who's job is to resell things they've bought for next to nothing, how much it was worth. Lemme just take my car in for a trade-in and ask them how much it's worth, or go to hock shop to appraise my wedding band.

I'm not saying what the OP did was right, moral, entirely legal, or not at fault. But the seller was STUPID for selling it, and there's no way around that. Who says "what's this worth, sales associate? oh, nothing? throw it away for me?"

• Members
When did I say that? At all? I appreciate you being so presumptuous in your giant moral stand here.

All I'm saying is that it's no more his fault than anyone else's. Act like an idiot, people will use you. It's the way the world works.

He came in EXPECTING a considerable amount. The OP said that in the deleted post. The person came in expecting a decent amount because it was a vintage instrument. Then he asked a SALES PERSON, who's job is to resell things they've bought for next to nothing, how much it was worth. Lemme just take my car in for a trade-in and ask them how much it's worth, or go to hock shop to appraise my wedding band.

I'm not saying what the OP did was right, moral, entirely legal, or not at fault. But the seller was STUPID for selling it, and there's no way around that. Who says "what's this worth, sales associate? oh, nothing? throw it away for me?"

Excuse me, I assumed you had a point besides stating the obvious.

• Members

Excuse me, I assumed you had a point besides stating the obvious.

There's a middle ground between "a point" and "assuming {censored}ing everything."

If you can't see a point in what I've said, I think you're simply choosing to ignore anything that isn't exactly what you're saying yourself. Or what you're making up in place of what I'm actually saying.

• Members
There's a middle ground between "a point" and "assuming {censored}ing everything."

If you can't see a point in what I've said, I think you're simply choosing to ignore anything that isn't exactly what you're saying yourself. Or what you're making up in place of what I'm actually saying.

When people are arguing over who was at fault regarding a dispute, then someone comes in and proclaims that one side was "{censored}ING STUPID", its not exactly a big stretch to assume that they were in favour of the other side....

• Members

I really am suprised at ANYONE supporting the OP who ripped the older gentleman off. Have societal norms really dropped that low? How would any of you feel if that was YOUR Father who was basically stolen from? Just because there are a group of 'knowledgable' folk on this forum who can spot a 'bargain' at 40 yards doesn't translate into everyone else is an idiot!
Seriously pisses me off at some of the DUMBASS support for these degenerate thieves!!!! Even if the support is by way off indicating the seller was 'stupid'!!!! Really guys - get a life and some manners and decency. /rant off/

• Members
When people are arguing over who was at fault regarding a dispute, then someone comes in and proclaims that one side was "{censored}ING STUPID", its not exactly a big stretch to assume that they were in favour of the other side....

I'm certainly not in favor of either here, but no one seems to think that they man who gave a vintage guitar away based on the opinion of a teenager working at a place that thrives off resales is at all to blame for his own actions.

• Members
I really am suprised at ANYONE supporting the OP who ripped the older gentleman off. Have societal norms really dropped that low? How would any of you feel if that was YOUR Father who was basically stolen from? Just because there are a group of 'knowledgable' folk on this forum who can spot a 'bargain' at 40 yards doesn't translate into everyone else is an idiot!

Seriously pisses me off at some of the DUMBASS support for these degenerate thieves!!!! Even if the support is by way off indicating the seller was 'stupid'!!!! Really guys - get a life and some manners and decency. /rant off/

If you're suggesting I'm a "dumbass," I'm not supporting the OP's actions, in the slightest. I wouldn't do such a thing, and I don't condone it at all. However, I feel that falling for such nonsense is partially your own fault, and it's beyond me how anyone can't. If my credit card was overloaded with charges from an unscrupulous website that I myself decided to use without any recommendations or reviews, that would be partially my own fault. If I gave my bank information to some unknown Nigerian "royalty" telling me that, by doing so, I'd inherit their fortune, going along with that would be my own fault. Trusting someone that makes a living from giving people a small percentage of an item's worth and reselling it to give me an honest appraisal, and then GIVING them my property based souly on that appraisal, would be my own fault, and is incredibly dumb.

• Members

Was what the Employee did morally sound? Hell no.
Was the old man an idiot for giving something away for free? Hell yes.

I mean, L&M sells Gibson. How could he not look around, look at the 2+k gibsons laying around and honestly deduct that this guitar was worth nothing? At the very least it would bring into question the veracity of the salesmen's knowledge.

• Members

It still boils down to two chancers taking advantage of someones ignorance - the fact that the dipwads tried to brag about their 'find' makes the whole thing morally reprehensible to me - it is really just a sad state of affairs when what is wrong and right has become so blurred, I worry at the world my Grandkids will be growing up in...

• Members
Was what the Employee did morally sound? Hell no.

Was the old man an idiot for giving something away for free? Hell yes.

I mean, L&M sells Gibson. How could he not look around, look at the 2+k gibsons laying around and honestly deduct that this guitar was worth nothing? At the very least it would bring into question the veracity of the salesmen's knowledge.

I could walk into an auto / bike showroom and see the latest prices of new vehicles - doesn't inform my knowledge to what my circa 1960's honda is worth....so I fail to see the connection - the poor chap was ripped off by unscrupulous scumbags, he trusted their 'expert' advice - hence him seeking it in the first place! The least he could have expected was honesty - I don't see what is so difficult about this concept?

• Members
Trusting someone that makes a living from giving people a small percentage of an item's worth and reselling it to give me an honest appraisal, and then GIVING them my property based souly on that appraisal, would be my own fault, and is incredibly dumb.

Whether or not hes at fault is really a moot point, maybe he didnt give a rats what it was worth - 2 dudes lied to him about the value and scammed him out of a vintage guitar. Whether or not he deserved it is besides the point and doesnt excuse their behaviour at all, which is what everyone is getting up in arms about (rightfully so).

• Members
I could walk into an auto / bike showroom and see the latest prices of new vehicles - doesn't inform my knowledge to what my circa 1960's honda is worth....so I fail to see the connection - the poor chap was ripped off by unscrupulous scumbags, he trusted their 'expert' advice - hence him seeking it in the first place! The least he could have expected was honesty - I don't see what is so difficult about this concept?

The difference is that a car is a consumer product that degrades with time. Eventually, it will become unusable. Also, a showroom will not have used or vintage cars. A guitar, on the other hand, does not become unusable from everyday wear, and even my parents, who know absolutely nothing about guitars, know that a vintage guitar is often worth more than it's new counterpart, and can tell you from watching TV that musicians are often seen playing old instruments, so clearly they do not become outdated. As well, a guitar store WILL carry used and vintage instruments. This isn't rocket science, man.

• Members
Whether or not hes at fault is really a moot point, maybe he didnt give a rats what it was worth - 2 dudes lied to him about the value and scammed him out of a vintage guitar. Whether or not he deserved it is besides the point and doesnt excuse their behaviour at all, which is what everyone is getting up in arms about (rightfully so).

If he didn't give a rat's ass, why did he take it in to get it appraised? Give me a break.

Everyone is getting upset about something that, A, has zero effect on them, and B, is only made possible by someone's dimwitted approach to a situation. A new chump is born every day, and eventually it becomes hard to feel bad for them, especially when they're THIS outlandishly dimwitted. If this guy approaches everything in life this way, he must have given his credit card away to Nigerian scammers over and over, fall for every commercial on TV, and have a computer riddled with software that claims he "has a virus!" and must purchase a specific product to fix it.

I'm condoning nothing of this, it's just hard to feel bad for someone who gives things away to someone who makes a living off shorting people.

• Members
If he didn't give a rat's ass, why did he take it in to get it appraised? Give me a break.

Everyone is getting upset about something that, A, has zero effect on them, and B, is only made possible by someone's dimwitted approach to a situation. A new chump is born every day, and eventually it becomes hard to feel bad for them, especially when they're THIS outlandishly dimwitted. If this guy approaches everything in life this way, he must have given his credit card away to Nigerian scammers over and over, fall for every commercial on TV, and have a computer riddled with software that claims he "has a virus!" and must purchase a specific product to fix it.

I'm condoning nothing of this, it's just hard to feel bad for someone who gives things away to someone who makes a living off shorting people.

Enough of this shiz and give us another one of your eBay sob story Mr GoodBomb. :poke:

Why does it not surprise me in the least to see you defending the actions of a couple of scumbag sellers.