Scam scum

ExiledCrow

• Members

If he didn't give a rat's ass, why did he take it in to get it appraised? Give me a break.

Easy, "I wonder if i can get anything for this old guitar? Who would know if its worth anything? A guitar shop would have a better idea than a pawn shop, ill take it there and if it isnt worth anything then ill just get rid of it, {censored} it."

Everyone is getting upset about something that, A, has zero effect on them, and B, is only made possible by someone's dimwitted approach to a situation. A new chump is born every day, and eventually it becomes hard to feel bad for them, especially when they're THIS outlandishly dimwitted. If this guy approaches everything in life this way, he must have given his credit card away to Nigerian scammers over and over, fall for every commercial on TV, and have a computer riddled with software that claims he "has a virus!" and must purchase a specific product to fix it.

I'm condoning nothing of this, it's just hard to feel bad for someone who gives things away to someone who makes a living off shorting people.

If you dont give a damn about some old guy who got scammed out of an expensive guitar, then that says a lot about you and your "moral compass", and I dont know why you got offended by the moral compass comment in the first place.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The difference is that a car is a consumer product that degrades with time. Eventually, it will become unusable. Also, a showroom will not have used or vintage cars. A guitar, on the other hand, does not become unusable from everyday wear, and even my parents, who know absolutely nothing about guitars, know that a vintage guitar is often worth more than it's new counterpart, and can tell you from watching TV that musicians are often seen playing old instruments, so clearly they do not become outdated. As well, a guitar store WILL carry used and vintage instruments. This isn't rocket science, man.

You and I know this - Joe Public doesn't - that's my point....

• Members

What if they truly didn't know the value? It's their jobs to sell items on a shelf, not be up to date on the supposed "value" of items sold a long time ago. I myself don't know what a similar Les Paul Jr. is supposed to be "valued" at. If I told you $100, I wouldn't be scamming you, because I DON'T KNOW!

At least you could give an honest answer and say I don't know and then research for the Customer?

• Members

If you dont give a damn about some old guy who got scammed out of an expensive guitar, then that says a lot about you and your "moral compass", and I dont know why you got offended by the moral compass comment in the first place.

I don't see where it questions my morals that I don't feel sorry for someone too stupid to tell when they're clearly being ripped off. In fact, I don't see where it says anything about myself, other than I have little sympathy for someone so clearly ignorant and disinterested in their own property. Sorry.

• Members

What does this have to do with "Joe Public," man? This guy has owned, and probably played, these guitars since the 60s. If he's still clueless as to how it functions, then there's something very wrong.

That's a giant leap of faith there my friend - he knows his old beatup guitars are 'valuable' how? He might be a player (now that's a novel concept) and doesn't have the slightest clue as the the relative vintage value of his 'well worn and old' guitars.

A bit of assumption methinks.....

Please try and look at this from the average player's perspective - not from a guitar aficionado's one...

• Members

"look at my new guitar I got on ebay for $200"

"great job!" "what a steal!!" "dude, that thing is worth $1500!"

---

"look at my new guitar I got from an old man who didn't know what he had for $200"

"scum bag" "loser" "you have no morals and I hope karma catches up with you"

• Members

Well I guess you are lucky your Folks are well informed - many are not. Let's just agree to disagree, I sincerely hope that I am never the 'cause' of anyone being scammed and I will do all I can to prevent it...

They aren't, that's the point. They're just not mindless. It's common sense stuff.

• Members

They aren't, that's the point. They're just not mindless. It's common sense stuff.

its not common sense to think a used beat up pos is worth more than new. sorry.

none of the people i know who know nothing of guitars would think it was valuable if the l&m guy told em it wasnt.

their reputation for trustwothy used/vintage guitar dealing just went to 0 because of some dumb{censored} employee.

• Members

its not common sense to think a used beat up pos is worth more than new. sorry.

none of the people i know who know nothing of guitars would think it was valuable if the l&m guy told em it wasnt.

their reputation for trustwothy used/vintage guitar dealing just went to 0 because of some dumb{censored} employee.

Anyone I know could tell you that a vintage car is worth more than a new one, a fully-functional colonial estate is worth more than a new home, and a vintage guitar is probably worth more than a new one. I dunno what company you keep.

Add to that, there are all kinds of television shows that tell you about the value of vintage items. They're mentioned here constantly. It's not exactly a secret anymore.

So, you're telling me that any person you know would dive right into anything that someone who makes money from reselling used products says about an item's value? You're REALLY telling me some funny things about the people you like to keep the company of.

Their reputation didn't go anywhere except for with this forum, because that dimwitted seller still thinks the guitars he handed over for free are worth absolutely nothing.

• Members

Anyone I know could tell you that a vintage car is worth more than a new one, a fully-functional colonial estate is worth more than a new home, and a vintage guitar is probably worth more than a new one. I dunno what company you keep.

So, you're telling me that any person you know would dive right into anything that someone who makes money from reselling used products says about an item's value? You're REALLY telling me some funny things about the people you like to keep the company of.

Their reputation didn't go anywhere except for with this forum, because that dimwitted seller still thinks the guitars he handed over for free are worth absolutely nothing.

most vintage cars arent worth more than new ones, nor most "vintage" houses (certainly not up here in canada).

remember, people fall for nigerian internet scams all the time, and 51% of your country was dumb enough to vote for dubya... twice.

it would be nice if everyone could spot the liars, but they obviously cant, or we wouldnt be talking about this.

• Members

most vintage cars arent worth more than new ones, nor most "vintage" houses (certainly not up here in canada).

remember, people fall for nigerian internet scams all the time, and 51% of your country was dumb enough to vote for dubya... twice.

it would be nice if everyone could spot the liars, but they obviously cant, or we wouldnt be talking about this.

A vintage, well-kept, and fully functional car is a collector's item, the same as guitar. The major difference, as I've already stated (as with most of the information I've sent your way, I've repeated over and over for you), is that cars degrade and will eventually need replaced unless EXTREMELY well kept for collector's value. A home is very similar, and yes, I'm in a historic area, and houses from the 1700s and 1800s go for FAR more because of their history and age if they're well-kept. The big difference, AS ALREADY MENTIONED, is that a guitar DOESN'T degrade in such a fashion, and anyone who's played a guitar for years, as this man must have, and noticed that the parts don't need replaced like those on a car or an older home should know this.

So, what you're telling me is, stupid people exist? And it's ok? I'm sorry, but I feel no sympathy for someone who missed out on cash because of their own stupid actions. Do I think it's right? No. Do I think it's stupid? Yes. Could have been avoided were it not stupid? Yes.

• Members

Add to that, there are all kinds of television shows that tell you about the value of vintage items. They're mentioned here constantly. It's not exactly a secret anymore.

Are you a lawyer by any chance? :lol:

You really have a knack for skirting around the point.

" I dunno what company you keep...You're REALLY telling me some funny things about the people you like to keep the company of."

What does this have to do with anything? The vast majority of people outside small groups such as this forum would have no idea that a 50 yr old, beat up guitar would be worth anything. A lot of people I know are surprised when i mention that old guitars are worth a lot of money... oh but wait, i suppose this says something negative about me and the company I keep because they dont obsess over things like guitars! :eek:

:facepalm:

• Members

A vintage, well-kept, and fully functional car is a collector's item, the same as guitar. The major difference, as I've already stated (as with most of the information I've sent your way, I've repeated over and over for you), is that cars degrade and will eventually need replaced unless EXTREMELY well kept for collector's value. A home is very similar, and yes, I'm in a historic area, and houses from the 1700s and 1800s go for FAR more because of their history and age if they're well-kept. The big difference, AS ALREADY MENTIONED, is that a guitar DOESN'T degrade in such a fashion, and anyone who's played a guitar for years, as this man must have, and noticed that the parts don't need replaced like those on a car or an older home should know this.

So, what you're telling me is, stupid people exist? And it's ok? I'm sorry, but I feel no sympathy for someone who missed out on cash because of their own stupid actions. Do I think it's right? No. Do I think it's stupid? Yes. Could have been avoided were it not stupid? Yes.

I actually own and drive 2 vintage MG's - they are in showroom condition - are they worth much? NO! Nowhere near the price of a new similar spec vehicle....

• Members

I actually own and drive 2 vintage MG's - they are in showroom condition - are they worth much? NO! Nowhere near the price of a new similar spec vehicle....

Were MGs EVER worth much? Are they still made? They're the Univox of the car world. Cool {censored}, kinda clunky, but can be had for fairly cheap.

• Members

Wow.

I was there for the original thread. Yes, the guys at the store knew the guitars were worth something and they knowingly lied to the guy about it.

Even if you don't think they ripped off the customer they absolutely ripped off their employer. The guy gave the guitars to the store. They were the stores property. The dumbasses who kept the guitars had no right to them.

They should be fired and criminally charged.

If a guy trades in a car at a car lot, does the salesmen get to keep the car? Hell no.

• Members

Wow.

I was there for the original thread. Yes, the guys at the store knew the guitars were worth something and they knowingly lied to the guy about it.

Even if you don't think they ripped off the customer they absolutely ripped off their employer. The guy gave the guitars to the store. They were the stores property. The dumbasses who kept the guitars had no right to them.

They should be fired and criminally charged.

If a guy trades in a car at a car lot, does the salesmen get to keep the car? Hell no.

I have not, at any point, claimed that the man wasn't lied to, wasn't deceived, or wasn't conned. "Ripped off" is a bit of a strange term, because he gave the damn things away, which to me, no matter what it is, is incredibly stupid based on ONE person's appraisal.

Yes, the employee has no right to them. Yes, he should be fired. No, I don't {censored}ing care. No, it's none of my business. No, I wouldn't start a thread about it after one has already been modified, then deleted, just to continue bitching about how he should be fired. Who {censored}ing cares?

• Members

The thread got deleted that night. I think removing that thread entirely was a poor choice on the mods part. Better to delete an offending post than a whole thread.

The guy and his coworker stole a 1960 Gibson (plus and unnamed guitar) from an old man, and his employer, and came on this forum to brag about it.

I grabbed some of the photos from his post before he deleted it.

2259222500106161154S600x600Q85.jpg

2097724450106161154S600x600Q85.jpg

2364567620106161154S600x600Q85.jpg

I also grabbed pictures of the dude, photos that he had posted in his photobucket album. That way the president of the company, who showed up in that thread, could identify his employee. But I don't see a need to post them now.

where was this guy, do you remember? I saw a guitar that look like that one at the GC I go to...just the other day in the used section...

• Members

He's not a customer. He's a seller, who came to me! I'd be working for the guitar store, not him. I have no incentive to do his due diligence for free, while he expects me to give HIM money. He's not paying me, he can do his own research.

That's pretty funny, you expecting the potential buyer to do the seller's work.

Whatever happened to customer service? Don't know Mr Seller - **** off?

or let me find out, maybe we can offer you something based on it's market value?

Jeez we come from different worlds...

• Members

He's not a customer. He's a seller, who came to me! I'd be working for the guitar store, not him. I have no incentive to do his due diligence for free, while he expects me to give HIM money. He's not paying me, he can do his own research.

That's pretty funny, you expecting the potential buyer to do the seller's work.

By working for the store you would be buying the guitar at a 'reasonable' price and selling it at market related value - where is there doing the seller's research? Weird.

• Members

where was this guy, do you remember? I saw a guitar that look like that one at the GC I go to...just the other day in the used section...

It was at a Long & McQuade in Ontario, Canada.

Oh, Mr. Goodbomb, I was not posting towards you in particular. No need to get snippy. :thu: