Scam scum

ExiledCrow

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The thread got deleted that night. I think removing that thread entirely was a poor choice on the mods part. Better to delete an offending post than a whole thread.

The guy and his coworker stole a 1960 Gibson (plus and unnamed guitar) from an old man, and his employer, and came on this forum to brag about it.

I grabbed some of the photos from his post before he deleted it.

2259222500106161154S600x600Q85.jpg

2097724450106161154S600x600Q85.jpg

2364567620106161154S600x600Q85.jpg

I also grabbed pictures of the dude, photos that he had posted in his photobucket album. That way the president of the company, who showed up in that thread, could identify his employee. But I don't see a need to post them now.

• Members

The thread got deleted that night. I think removing that thread entirely was a poor choice on the mods part. Better to delete an offending post than a whole thread.

The guy and his coworker stole a 1960 Gibson (plus and unnamed guitar) from and old man, and his employer, and came on this forum to brag about it.

How much truth is really behind that though?

People will only brag about stuff if they want to get caught by the police and go to jail.

• Members

Well THAT part I know ... I'm just wondering what the outcome was ... I know there were several forumites from the area that happened that were going to the corporation about said behavior ...

Yeah, the presidents email is on this page,

http://www.long-mcquade.com/contact/

and someone sent him a link to the thread, not I.

It was Jeff Long IIRC that posted a thank you in the thread and said that he was going to look into it. I realize you know this Exiled Crow, but not everyone here is in on what happened. :thu:

• Members

Oh snap! When I read the original thread my first reaction was, "How will this guy's boss respond?"

I used to work for a store where the boss wouldn't have cared one way or the other.

Another store would have fired me for not allowing the store owner to profit from stealing the guitars.

Another would have fired me for stealing the guitars in the first place.

It looks like Long and McQuade take the ethical (IMNSHO) route. Good for them. :thu:

• Members

Blackcat: Let me see if I can sum this up correctly .... The story as reported by the OP (douche #1) was that this older guy came in with 2 beat-up guitars and asked what they might be worth. Douche #2, a fellow employee said, "nothing', so the old guy said they should dispose of them. So they took them cleaned them up and lo-and-behold, douche #1 had the vintage LP Jr .... which he was going to keep without reporting it to either his employer or trying to find the old man and let him know what was what. But, as he tried to defend himself, it wasn't like he STOLE it b/c he had to buy a couple of parts for it .... :facepalm:

Never did hear what douche #2 ended up with. Needless to say the responses to his post were not kind.

Orange you were there for that, right? I miss anything?

• Members

The 2 douches knew the guitars had at least some value. To say that both guitars were worthless is what makes these low life scumbags stink! So I say the old man was ripped off. Plus many people under 25 years of age think a guy in his late forties is "an old man". So they wrongly took advantage of someone. I hope the "old man" gets wind of this, finds the punks and teaches them an important lesson about respecting others.

• Members

What theft? The old guy gave them away! There is no story here.

I kind of feel the same way. If you don't know the value of things, don't sell them. It's not difficult with forums like this, Ebay completed items, etc, to find the value or an item. And expecting morality and fairness from a place that's going to re-sell your item to another person is moronic. My friend took his guitar and amp to GC for trade-in and was offered $75 for the guitar, and somewhere around $50 for the amp, if they even would take it. He sold them both on Craigslist a few days later for $800.

My old guitar teacher has a 60s Gretsch he got for $300 from a classified ad. He found an ad that read "gretch guitar," went to the house, and checked it out. It was an elderly woman selling it, it had been her husband's, and he had passed away. Perfect condition, worth probably 10x what she was asking. He took a few minutes to debate and told her, flat out, she could make a small fortune if she sold it to someone else. She said, "it was my husband's and he's gone, get it out of my house." $300 and he's got one of the nicest guitars I've ever seen or played.

• Members

I kind of feel the same way. If you don't know the value of things, don't sell them. It's not difficult with forums like this, Ebay completed items, etc, to find the value or an item. And expecting morality and fairness from a place that's going to re-sell your item to another person is moronic. My friend took his guitar and amp to GC for trade-in and was offered $75 for the guitar, and somewhere around $50 for the amp, if they even would take it. He sold them both on Craigslist a few days later for $800.

My old guitar teacher has a 60s Gretsch he got for $300 from a classified ad. He found an ad that read "gretch guitar," went to the house, and checked it out. It was an elderly woman selling it, it had been her husband's, and he had passed away. Perfect condition, worth probably 10x what she was asking. He took a few minutes to debate and told her, flat out, she could make a small fortune if she sold it to someone else. She said, "it was my husband's and he's gone, get it out of my house." $300 and he's got one of the nicest guitars I've ever seen or played.

Even if they got the guitars in there for nothing, they still ripped someone off. If nothing else, they stole from the shop owner. I agree that you should always do market research. Pawn shops, GC and the like are out to make a buck any way they can. Only expect about 1/10 of the value when dealing with places like these, but know the phucking value!

As far as the Gretch guitar teacher, at least he tried to help her out. So I don't see any fault there.

• Members

I disagree - Granted, I don't know the specifics of this transaction, BUT: My Father (a man in his 80's) could not, if his life depended on it, manage to research the worth of an old guitar (or a new one). I love the man, and he aint stupid - but the technology-understanding gap is just too wide. I have tried to assist him with such things and its just a lost battle. He's also from a very different generation than me - in his day, you treated customers, and especially the elderly with respect.

For ANYone to so grotesquely take advantage and knowingly misrepresent the guitars value goes WAAAY beyond bargaining, and into the realm of the truly criminal. And I would fully expect such a case to go before a judge, and the jerks who took advantage would be found guilty of a crime.

• Members

I disagree - Granted, I don't know the specifics of this transaction, BUT: My Father (a man in his 80's) could not, if his life depended on it, manage to research the worth of an old guitar (or a new one). I love the man, and he aint stupid - but the technology-understanding gap is just too wide. I have tried to assist him with such things and its just a lost battle. He's also from a very different generation than me - in his day, you treated customers, and especially the elderly with respect.

For ANYone to so grotesquely take advantage and knowingly misrepresent the guitars value goes WAAAY beyond bargaining, and into the realm of the truly criminal. And I would fully expect such a case to go before a judge, and the jerks who took advantage would be found guilty of a crime.

I'm not suggesting your father, or anyone in that age range without the knowledge to use a computer to find the value or something they're selling, is stupid. My parents are in their early 50s, and up until fairly recently, they'd have trouble with it, too. But at the same time, they're wise enough not to sell for a price that they see unfitting. If you bring a vintage instrument into a store and they give you a few hundred for it, you should know SOMETHING is up. I feel selling it for that price is your own fault. I've had some pretty stupid offers made to me on things I was selling, and those offering were surely hoping I myself would be stupid enough to say yes, and if I were, I'd have no one to blame but myself.

• Members

The exact wording of the definition may vary depending on your specific jurisdiction, but "theft by deception" is recognized by the law pretty much everywhere in the English-speaking world as a subcategory of the crime of theft.

Those of you who disagree, at least thanks for letting us know about your personal concepts of honesty and integrity.

• Members

Those of you who disagree, at least thanks for letting us know about your personal concepts of honesty and integrity.

:facepalm::bor::rolleyes:

Get over yourself. Someone sold someone else something for less than it was worth because they didn't take the time to do anything but ask the BUYER, who makes a living from buying things for less than they're worth and re-selling them for more than they got it for, what it was worth. I'm sorry, but who's at fault here again?

• Members

It kind of looks like there's a full round of blame to go here...

What the store employees did is a real scumbag move, and most likely criminal. Their employer should definitely have been informed, and they should be fired. That's straight forward common sense.

In that same train of thought of common sense, the "older gentleman" that they ripped off should have some as well (assuming his mental facilities are intact). I don't know if he had family or friends that could have helped him research the value...but just giving them away for nothing, or next to? That's all him. He made the choice to do so.

Off the common sense and on to the heart strings... I feel bad for the guy. That was a real raw deal they gave him.

• Members

Absolutely the old guy made a mistake, but I would not have been able to live with myself if I didn't at least TRY to find him and let him know.

Of course, I probably would have said, "I don't know lets take a look ...", in regard to his question about the value ....

• Members

Absolutely the old guy made a mistake, but
I
would not have been able to live with myself if I didn't at least TRY to find him and let him know.

Of course, I probably would have said, "I don't know lets take a look ...", in regard to his question about the value ....

I agree. However, there are less than scrupulous people all over the place, and this is one of the lesser of those issues. I feel, with that in mind, this is more the seller's fault than the buyer.