Do you 'anchor' your picking hand?

knotty

• Members

I anchor sometimes. It was taught as the "correct" way to do things when I was coming up. But I have a serious problem when someone says a certain technique is right or wrong. If the sound is coming out of the instrument, and I do mean ANY instrument, you're doing it right. I remember a trumpet player in high school who could blow the rest of us away with his range. "He's doing it all wrong." I say HORSESHIT!!!!! Look at my sig!

• Members

When I used a pick, I anchored my pinky and lightly touched the edge of my hand on the bridge for muting purposes.

Now when I play fingerstyle I don't anchor anything for acoustic, and for electric I'll rest the edge of my hand lightly on the bridge. About 25% of the time I'll hold the whammy bar while playing - I guess that kind of counts as an anchor although that's not the purpose.

I've seen lots of folks play great with both anchor and non-anchor picking techniques, so I'm a believer that either way is fine.

• Members

Do what you want, depending on your style, your mood, the song etc. If you ever meet anyone who tells you there is a right or wrong way to play the electric guitar just tell 'em to fuck off.

I would never tell someone there technique is wrong as there really is no right vs. wrong in this case. But some techniques are definitely less optimal than others.

• Members

I always anchor my pinky when i'm picking anything with a pick. strumming no, fingerpicking definitely no.

Bad technique or not, that's where my hands go automatically. I'm a fan of the outlook that nothing is sacred about playing music, there are no rights or wrongs, simply what works and what doesn't. and even then that is up to the listeners ear to decide.

• Members

In general, no. I find it too restrictive. I move my pick hand around a lot while I play.

I stabilize my hand position by how my forearm rests on the corner of the body, but I wouldn't call it anchoring, necessarily.

Palm muting is as close as I get to anchoring my hand.

• Members

It depends on the guitar I'm playing. An LP with a carved top and that TOM bridge sitting so high up off of the body and the outer edge of the LP being lower than the center of the carved arch sort of forces me to anchor my palm on the strings just behind the bridge and I'm also ready to palm mute.

On an SG with it's flatter top, it's my fore arm resting on the beveled edge of the upper body which allows my hand to float.

I really like Explorers, V's and Firebirds for this because their upper wings provide a good resting place for my fore arm.

As for any one who criticizes my technique, I go out of my way to blow them out of the water with my incorrect technique.

Then there are people like Django Rheinhardt with missing fingers. What do you say to them as they're playing some amazing stuff with their disabilities?

My motto is, "Just play the guitar and be good. And quit the fucking whining!"

*end of rant.*