What's with guitarists switching from Gibsons to Fenders later in their careers?

paulisme

• Members

Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton and Pete Townshend are all musicians who helped make the Les Paul and the SG the rock staples they are today, yet they play Strats almost exclusively these days. What gives? Can their old shoulders no longer handle the heft of an LP? Do their deals with Fender preclude them from playing anything else (not counting Townshend)? Can anyone think of a counter-example where musicians started out on Strats and jumped to the Gibson camp?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I'm not pro, obviously, but for my first decade of playing I had a 335 and a 175. Swore I'd never play anything else.

But then I sold 'em. Got seriously into acoustics for a long time.

And now, I'm really into my Strats, and my acoustics too.

• Members

Lose their ear for tone?

Or just the opposite ;)

Peter Green is another one who has expressed a preference for the sound of single coils.

Clapton is deaf, but that's another story. AFAIK, he switched to strats before having hearing problems.

Maybe it's just a matter of personal preference.

• Members

Or just the opposite
;)
Peter Green is another one who has expressed a preference for the sound of single coils.

Clapton is deaf, but that's another story. AFAIK, he switched to strats before having hearing problems.

Maybe it's just a matter of personal preference.

Since Greeny's mod made less bucker and more sc in his LP, not surprising he tried singles.

Clapton said he realised that you could play clean and still convey the same emotion, hence his change. Then he missed the growl and added the mid boost.

I just rewired a 2HB and now have neck, bridge and both combinations with HBs, outer sc coils and inner sc coils. Mid positions sc are fake HB and all 9 positions sound noticeably different.

Best of all worlds.

• Members

They are simply more sensitive to picking nuances, something a lot of people value as they get older.

Edit: Also, they were all pioneers of overdriven guitar, and with the limited gear available at the time, you almost HAD to use humbuckers to drive an amp hard enough.

• Members

They are simply more sensitive to picking nuances, something a lot of people value as they get older.

I'm not to sure about that. I hear a lot more articulation in Clapton's early recordings than in what he does now. Whether that's because of the guitars or the man is debatable.

• Members

Because they have seen the light. Fender, basically a more versatile guitar thats not a one trick pony like a LP or SG. (and not to be bias, I play both).

Mark Knoffer swapped from a Strat to a Les Paul.

9516_159801946358_9411551358_286996.jpg

this might make you feel better

LOTSlp_web.jpg

• Members

I'm not to sure about that. I hear a lot more articulation in Clapton's early recordings than in what he does now. Whether that's because of the guitars or the man is debatable.

Fair point, I was generalising grossly. But in his case, the switch happened as he started to get more influenced by different music styles, like country for example.

Or maybe it's just that Gibson wouldn't give him a cellphone contract ;)

Archived