What's with guitarists switching from Gibsons to Fenders later in their careers?

paulisme

• Members

Probably been stated and debated already, but I don't feel like reading through 4 pages :cop:. Jimmy Page started on a LP for the first couple of albums, then started using Strats more and more (IV and Presence are the 2 I know of that he definitely used Strats on).

I for one like both equally, but I can only afford Strats (and the occasional lucky hollowbody find). They are a bit more versatile, but there's that heaviness you get out of a LP that you can't get out of a Strat (you can get other kinds of heaviness from a Fender, though). Gibsons also have a mystique about them, maybe that's the reason some people like them more (whenever I see a guitar that looks like an LP, I'm always expecting to see the Epiphone logo, but on the occasion I see the Gibson logo it always adds a little, can't explain).

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jimmy Page started on a LP for the first couple of albums, then started using Strats more and more (IV and Presence are the 2 I know of that he definitely used Strats on).

Like both Clapton and Beck, Page used a Telecaster in his days with The Yardbirds, and continued using one to record the first Led Zeppelin album. He also used a Telecaster to record the solo in "Stairway to Heaven".

• Members

Like both Clapton and Beck, Page used a Telecaster in his days with The Yardbirds, and continued using one to record the first Led Zeppelin album. He also used a Telecaster to record the solo in "Stairway to Heaven".

he used one for Hots on for Nowhere off Presence as well (one of my favorite zeppelin songs), and i believe on South Bound Suarez from In Through the Out Door (i'm basing that on the whammy bar sound only)

• Members
i have to call shinanigins on that, from the ones i've played (i've played quite few, just never owned one
:rolleyes:
), gibsons seem to be every bit as sturdy and well put together as fenders. epiphone is another story.

I don't get all the hate on Epiphone either. My Epi is phenominal, maybe I got a gem, who knows. However I would expect a guitar that costs three times as much to be of slightly higher quality.

• Members

That is a sweeping generalization with absolutely no factual evidence to support such an ignorant claim. It is a matter of pure opinion, and in my humble opinion I feel that the tone coming from a 24 3/4 scale, set neck guitar is far superior to anything fender has to offer. I don't care what anyone says, you cannot get that fat, warm, smooth overdriven tone that is characteristic of Les Paul from a Fender. Playability, I would take an SG for playability over the big heel of a strat anyday

This. A LP sounds like a LP and strats have to much snap to pull off a genuine LP sound. Its hard to get a 25.5 scale, bolt on necked, tremelo bridged, alder(usually), 7 lb guitar to sound like a 24.75 scaled, set neck, fixed bride & piece, mahogany and maple 10lb guitar. They are on different sides of the spectrum.

I will say this though, most guys who play strats think of Gibsons as "real" guitars while fenders are just 2 pieces of wood bolted together. I dont agree, but ive been told this over and over by strat players.

• Members

I have and have had many of both types, and I enjoy both for what they are. Obviously in my tribute act I play a lot of strat - but I still do enjoy the LP from time to time. They are of course totally different animals.

However - people who say you "need" a Les Paul to get heavy obviously haven't played a lot of Teles :cop:

...Obviously a lot also depends on how you play 'em. I wouldn't say that Gilmour's tone is at all "snappy" like people generalize strats, whereas I've heard Dickey Betts get some pretty twangy things out of a Les Paul.

• Members

I think it has to do with versatility and articulation, you can simply get a more precise attack with a Strat or Tele. Single coils leave you more naked, making it easier to hear the subtle variations of touch. And nothing can beat the clean tone of the #4 position on a Strat. :love: I'm definitely in the LP camp when it comes to neck position solos, however.

Also, speaking for myself, I like having extra room of 25.5" scale in the upper frets due to my big, manly hands. :thu:

• Members
Tony Iommi also went Fender to Gibson. He was a Strat player back in the early Sabbath days - IIRC, the entire first Sabbath album was all Strat. Then the pups packed in, and so, back in those days before repalcement pups were readiyl available, he swapped it for a saxophone(!). He had also, for a long time, had a right handed SG lying around, which he later swapped with another guy, a right handed player who had a lefty sitting. when the Strat packed up, he used the SG as he had it sitting, and ever since then he seems mostly to have been using either gibby SGs or custom guitars based on that model. (JayDees, and among others he also briefly had a Patrick Eggle sig model, basically an 'SG' with a more PRS-shaped body, and crucifix inlays).

I can't imagine Toni playing anything other than his faithful SG. :thu:

Or maybe he hasn't if he spent that much on guitars!!!
:lol:

I remember seeing U2 in Belfast on the Popmart Tour - August 1997. He switched guitars every two minutes.... not the only player I've seen do that. The funny thing was by the time he processed the soud so much through all those f/x and so on, each and every guitar sounded exactly the same. Maybe he was using different tunigs, maybe they were going out of tune quickly, maybe he thought it made for a flashier show or, hells, maybe he was thinking "I'm the Edge, biatch..... I can buy and play
all
teh guitars!"

Edge's level of bank isn't even affected by puny things like guitars. :idea: I think he changes guitars often so often largely to keep himself entertained, after having played massive amounts of shows since the early '80s.

If I was a big touring star, I think I would likely have a considerable arsenal on stage as well, just to mix things up. I would have at least two Eagles (which are among my favorite guitars) instead of the stererotypical LPs or PRSs, a Tele, a YJM Strat and a couple Charvel super strats in addition to a couple nice acoustics.

• Members

If I was a big touring star, I think I would likely have a considerable arsenal on stage as well, just to mix things up. I would have at least two Eagles (which are among my favorite guitars) instead of the stererotypical LPs or PRSs, a Tele, a YJM Strat and a couple Charvel super strats in addition to a couple nice acoustics.

for a big show? Two of each setup plus spares. Minimum.

No one wants to pay to see strings changed.

Typically 20+ for Edge, 16+ for Keef etc etc.

• Members

The Gibsons I owned weren't made as well as the Fenders I've owned. That's all the factual evidence I need. What's your problem, anyway?

Yes it is, and I stated mine. Now relax.

I guess you missed the part where I said I like the Fender tone for the type of stuff that
I
do.
You
can play whatever the hell you want to.

Yep. I prefer Fenders. Why this bothers you is anyone's guess.

My apologies for the rant, but anyone who says a good Gibson is not made well, I just don't know what constitutes a well made guitar then? And you being a Fender guy does not bother me, I even stated that I prefer Fender's for certain kinds of music. But anyone who says Fender's are built better than Gibsons and vice versa is just poking the bear. Its like saying vanilla ice cream is "built" better than chocolate ice cream.

• Members
I think it's just 'coz a Strat is s generally lighter than a Les Paul.

I love LP's, but they do sometimes make ny back hurt, and this magnifies when you get old..trust me, as a 50 year old geezer, strapping on an LP for a long session can leave it's mark on your back the next day!

:thu:

Well..that's the general concensus yes...BUT! I've been rehearsing with my Tele's a lot through december, and after half an hour they start to really hurt my left shoulder.

The subsequent tour after these rehearsals was done on my Les Pauls (mainly because my Tele's need to have the cavities shielded realisticly if I'm to play S-standard tuned Br00tz onstage). 19 shows later and I've not had even a hint of back/shoulder trouble??? :idk:

• Members

In the case of Jeff Beck and Clapton, I'm pretty sure it was a lot to do with the influence of Hendrix.

For most of the others, they probably don't get as anal about it as people on here. Strats are just very user friendly and flexible.

Hendrix dropped his Strats for Flying Vs and Sgs

• Members

To be honest, I really don't see this as a all or nothing thing. I think all of these guitar players own lots of different models from many different manufacturers, and as other have pointed out here, it really just depends on how they're feeling or what sound they're looking for at a particular moment in their performance/life/career.

Endorsements are part of their income, and they will get photographed most frequently with the guitar they are endorsing, and name-drop the model that they agreed to have their name on. In some cases, I think there are "iconic" images and urban legends that circulate and the public "expects" to see a certain guitarist with a certain type of guitar; since guitarists are performers, they play to audience expectations to a certain degree.

It never fails to amaze me how often I associate a certain guitar player with a certain axe, only to see concert footage, website photos, and album information that contradicts my preconceived notions.

Example: David Gilmour is easily one of the names most frequently associated with the Fender strat - and his expensive custom model is a testament to this. However, watch any of his concert videos and he often puts the strats down and picks up a Les Paul (aren't there David Gilmour signature Les Paul strings?), Gretsch, or Telecaster (a Fender, yes, but not a strat).

Another example: Mark Knopfler has an eye-catching sig Fender Strat. I just glanced quickly at some concert photos from the On the Night period of Dire Straits, and there are few Fenders to be seen.

But what do I know... I'm a bass player... :)

Archived