What's with guitarists switching from Gibsons to Fenders later in their careers?

paulisme

• Members

Example: David Gilmour is easily one of the names most frequently associated with the Fender strat - and his expensive custom model is a testament to this. However, watch any of his concert videos and he often puts the strats down and picks up a Les Paul (aren't there David Gilmour signature Les Paul strings?), Gretsch, or Telecaster (a Fender, yes, but not a strat).

Honestly, I'd have to argue against. He's been playing other guitars more as of late, and occasionally in the past in the studio, but to say "often" is to take it too far. He really IS a Strat guy, and for example the recent Remember That Night DVD, at least 3/4s of the time it's his Black Strat.

The real continuity may be his preference towards single-coil guitars, actually. The only humbucker-equipped guitar he's ever really used (aside from his installing a PAF in his Black Strat for a few years) would be his Duo Jet, and I don't classify Filtertrons as typical humbuckers anyway.

And on the matter of BB King, he WAS using a Telecaster for a little while if the internet is to be believed. I'd assume in the mid-50s before Gibson introduced the ES-335 and its higher-end variants that he uses.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hendrix dropped his Strats for Flying Vs and Sgs

Hendrix PUT ASIDE his Strats occasionally to play Red House on a V, and experimented with an SG Custom (see the Dick Cavett Show clip) live and in the studio, as well as owning (and sometimes recording with) a Les Paul Custom and using a Tele borrowed from Noel Redding for the original Re House session, etc. His main stage and studio guitars, however, were always Strats.

Despite occasional live experimentation with Sunn, Sound City and Orange amps, his stage backline was almost always Marshall, though he frequently used smaller Fender amps for recording.

• Members

Despite occasional experimentation with Sunn, Sound City and range amps, his stage backline was almost always Marshall, though he frequently used smaller Fender amps for recording.

That makes sense now, often when listening to the chimier staff such as castles made of sand or little wing I think "that can't be a marshall!"

• Members

I find it odd that a lot of us unknown, non-legends enjoy playing a variety of guitars, while guys like Beck and EC will not stray from their Strats. Okay, they prefer Strats,but a lot of their guitar playing fans (in Beck's case, the majority of his fan base) would enjoy listening to these guys change guitars occasionally and give us a glimpse of their skills in a different ( and in some cases, legendary) sonic context. "Crossroads' or ' Sunshine of Your Love" played on a Strat is almost sacreligious!' Where were You' has to be on a Strat, 'Beck's Bolero' on a Paul.

• Members

Sure they do. There have been examples posted in this very thread.

I've been to several EC concerts over the years, aside from the 'From the Cradle' Tour, where he played a 335 on a few songs, he played a Strat exclusively, with to my ears, at times average at best tones. On the Steve Winqwood MSG DVD he sticks to his Strat's middle pickup 90% of the time! At the Cream Show at MSG he had a Les Paul in his rack but never played it. Beck plays his Strat (occasionally a Tele) almost exclusively as well (whammy-itis) . I've not seen Beck's Ronnie Scott set (don't care for constant whammying), but I assume most , if not all of it is Stratocaster. All I'm saying is these guys are responsible for some legendary sounds acquired with guitars other than Strats. Why not treat their audiences to some of these tones. Clapton's playing and phrasing ,in particular, admittedly to my ears, takes on a whole other vibe when he's playing a Gibson. David Gilmour treats his fans to tones other than his fantastic Strat tones in concert. Why not Beck and EC?

Archived