As if we needed it, now we have a reason to HATE John Mayer

docjeffrey

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Meh I love John Mayer's music and his guitar playing. It's phenomenal. I find it funny how you talk about him "ripping off" other artists like SRV, for instance. Everyone musician learns {censored} from other musicians, where the hell do you think music comes from? When YOU invent a new type of music that doesn't sound like {censored}, get back to me and I'll be glad to hear it.

I also didn't realize that a musician's job was to keep out of the public eye and not do interviews, but just to release studio albums and play concerts where he doesn't interact with the audience. You have to admit the guy is pretty funny, and if you are taking the things he says seriously, then I think you're either a dumbass or have too much sand in your vagina.
:wave:

I will say that John Mayer is funnier than you are. And how did you know I was a woman?

• Members
His pop and blues are not my cup of tea, but there's no arguing he has talent. As for his persona, it seems to me like he knows
exactly
what he's doing. Hard to argue with his success.

That's sort of my point. He is too calculating for my taste. Too much head and not enough heart. I just don't feel it. I have never felt it. Something has always smelt "off" about him since his first songs hit the airwaves. Eric Clapton has been quoted as saying about Mayer: "I tried to point out the importance to him of music being truth.... I think he becomes too caught up in being clever."

• Members
When Steve Jordan or David Ryan Harris leaves his band over the comment, then I'll admit that he went too far.

I actually looked at this twice, thought "Why didn't he mention Robbie McIntosh or, or that keyboard guy?" It took me quite a while to remember that they are black and supposed to be offended by this stuff according to some people.

Sensationalist reporting is the real problem here.

• Members
I actually looked at this twice, thought "Why didn't he mention Robbie McIntosh or, or that keyboard guy?" It took me quite a while to remember that they are black and supposed to be offended by this stuff according to some people.

Sensationalist reporting is the real problem here.

Maybe. Maybe not. Hard to tell what his friends or bandmates think of it. I am sure they are used to it and just enjoy the gravy train while it's running. I have played with assholes before and tolerate their BS for the sake of the Bigger Picture.

I do wonder if Mayer thinks he is so cool and so clever and so subtle that he can say anything he wants in his quirky way and everyone will applaud him for it. Isn't that the danger of having people laud you all the time? Your head gets so damn big that you lose the perspective of the common person and presume to believe that it doesn't apply to you.... because you are .... after all.... John Mayer.

• Members
Maybe. Maybe not. Hard to tell what his friends or bandmates think of it. I am sure they are used to it and just enjoy the gravy train while it's running. I have played with assholes before and tolerate their BS for the sake of the Bigger Picture.

I do wonder if Mayer thinks he is so cool and so clever and so subtle that he can say anything he wants in his quirky way and everyone will applaud him for it. Isn't that the danger of having people laud you all the time? Your head gets so damn big that you lose the perspective of the common person and presume to believe that it doesn't apply to you.... because you are .... after all.... John Mayer.

Like I said before, I think he's going to have some explaining to do, especially if he wants to get back into the good graces of certain people.

Wendy Williams (of The Wendy Williams Show fame, "How u doin'?") has already said she's not going to mention him in her "Hot Topics" segment anymore.:o

• Members
Why should
I
hate him because
you
don't like what he said? Some of you are {censored}ing pussies when it comes to what other people say.

I don't think you "should have" to hate him...I think most in this thread have expressed their own personal opinions. Obviously, we're gonna having differing views on things, which leads to (in most cases) discussion on the topic.

I'm glad to see that he apologized...we'll see if it lasts. Whatever the case, I personally have never been a fan of him or his music...just hate to see someone go down this road...I wish he'd just play his guitar like he said...and let that speak for him. :thu:

• Members
That's hilarious...in case you haven't been conscious over the past decade...he IS taken seriously as a musician and guitar player.

But I guess you told him!

yeah right...so why is his audience made up of screaming 14 year olds?

...listen to his "apology" video as the screaming teenagers drown out his explaination...

• Members

Mayer is a Lone Wolf, an Alpha Male at the moment to boot (although I'm not particularly a fan). Face the facts, many of us would love to be in his shoes at the pinnacle of success.

He has adoration from millions of fans, and a truly elite talent for picking up A-level {censored}----he's much better at that then he is at music. I think a big part of it is the fact that is is an asshole. Any man that has lived long enough to be a man knows that many women secretly want to {censored} the guy that is the biggest asshole to them since he's a challenge and often marry them as well. Then for the 2nd marriage when their looks have already faded, they go for the nice guy. :blah:

Quite honestly, I think people would be far less interested in Mayer if wasn't constantly bedding down celebrity chicks. Same for George Clooney, who is vastly better at picking up {censored} than he is at acting. The most puzzling one of all is clearly the disgusting, pear shaped doughboy Adam Duritz of Counting Crows being able to pick up women at least 3 leagues above him (sucks being a rock star, eh?). :facepalm:

But worrying about it or being jealous won't change your life, except perhaps for making you have more pronouced worry lines on your face and higher blood pressure. So {censored} it, let 'em have their fun. I know I sure as {censored} would if I was in their position. :wave:

Conclusion: Mayer is a rich, famous asshole. No wonder women can't stay away. But his arrogance is uncool and will continue to bite him in the ass.