• Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well....let's see.....

I own this...

DSC00049.jpg

And yes, it's 100% A1 legit, original.

So I'd say I like them quite a bit.

Having said that...I've never been someone to blindly worship bands...ever....and maiden have done some {censored} music in my opinion. Namely post Seventh Son...and they've never truly recovered.

• Members
Ive just recently discovered them and am in the process of "getting into them"
:cool:

So far im loving Futureal, Fear of the Dark, The Mercenary, Number of the Beast... am open to more listening suggestions!
:thu:

Run to the Hills
The Trooper
Hallowed be thy Name
Aces High
Iron Maiden
Phantom of the Opera
Transylvania...

Also it seems like the Somewhere in Time album doesn't get enough credit sometimes, there are some great songs on that as well such as...

Wasted Years
Stranger in a Strange Land
Somewhere in Time...

I could go on for days but that should get you started.

• Members

How good is Iron Maiden? After 35 years, they continue to make music, sell music and sell a LOT of tickets for live shows. So, I'd say VERY good!

If we are counting Black Sabbath as heavy metal, I'd rank Maiden 2nd and Judas Priest 3rd for the greatest heavy metal bands of all time. Personally, I consider Sabbath hard rock even though they gave birth to heavy metal. Regardless, those bands seem to be the ones most often mentioned in the top 3 metal of all time.

I've been learning some classic rock standards recently and I added The Trooper to my list. I'll need some more woodshedding to nail it, but it sure is a LOT of fun to riff this tune on guitar! :thu:

• Members

i can dig some maiden. not all of it, but a good chunk of it.

lulz

Well you know I like AIC very much (not to mention having seen them when that guy was still breast feeding) but jeez..

As a big maiden fan I am definitely not one who is surprised by people who don't really like them. Like say..how I'd be more surprised by people who said they didn't like ACDC's sound. I can certainly see how Maiden's sound might rub people the wrong way.

• Members

What do I think of Iron Maiden? Well, this is the poster for my band's gig this Friday night...

powerslave-feb19.jpg

Iron Maiden is hands down, unequivocally my favorite band of all time.

Bought the 5 song Live EP "Maiden Japan" back in '81. I was into am radio pop like most kids my age in my hometown but I was fascinated with their album cover artwork. Didn't want to gamble the price of a LP on a band I'd never heard but when one day I saw the EP for half the cost of an LP, I decided to buy it so I could hear what this band with the scary albums sounded like. Took it home, threw it on the turntable and it changed my life. The song Killers got played a billion times over and over. Went back to the record store next weekend with my allowance and my saved up money and bought "Killers" and the self-titled LP. Then of course I picked Number of the Beast the next year when it came out and the obsession still sticks to this day.

Maiden is the reason I started playing in bands, grew my hair etc. I already played guitar but it was a minor hobby. Maiden got me playing everyday all day - and in 1983 I bought a black and white Fender Stratocaster and had a local luthier put in humbuckers so I could be just like Dave Murray.

Saw them live in 84 with twisted Sister opening (ugh), again in 87 with Waysted and then it was a long wait until they finally came back to my area in 2008 - what a show!!!!

Yep, I LOVES 'em! Up the Irons!

• Members
Very interesting. What are they like? Good thing they never registered the name!

They sound pretty dark,like doom(close to sabbath sound).The best song on the album,to me,is Liar,it lasts about 12 minutes.Maybe it's the same band,they changed the members like pampers,so at one point maybe Steve Harris came in,or he decided to resurrect the band name(they are from almost the same area,I think) This is just my theory.:lol:

• Members
They sound pretty dark,like doom(close to sabbath sound).The best song on the album,to me,is Liar,it lasts about 12 minutes.Maybe it's the same band,they changed the members like pampers,so at one point maybe Steve Harris came in,or he decided to resurrect the band name(they are from almost the same area,I think) This is just my theory.
:lol:

From what i read they have nothing to do with each other. Steve mentions in a documentary that when they came up with the name they heard another band had it as well so they went and registered it before the other band. I'm guessing this is that "other band". Steve was never in it. His first bands were Influence, Gypsy's Kiss, and finally Smiler before he formed maiden.

• Members

I like Iron Maiden.

I don't like the fans of Iron Maiden.

(huge generalization, obviously, but there's a lot of angry white 12 year old boys out there)

This - in fact I was shallow enough as a teen to let the fans keep me from getting into the music. It's taken me a good twenty years to finally come round to them again.

I love the music, the twin guitars, harmonies, good melodies for hard rock/metal. And the live recordings I've heard are just awesome, moreso imo than the studio stuff. Otoh I doubt I'll every be able to listen to metal lyrics with a straight face, and Maiden's no exception there

• Members
This - in fact I was shallow enough as a teen to let the fans keep me from getting into the music. It's taken me a good twenty years to finally come round to them again.

I love the music, the twin guitars, harmonies, good melodies for hard rock/metal. And the live recordings I've heard are just awesome, moreso imo than the studio stuff. Otoh I doubt I'll every be able to listen to metal lyrics with a straight face, and Maiden's no exception there

Drop acid and sing along at the show :thu:

• Members

Try to see their recent documentary of their "flying tour"--Somewhere Back In Time I think it's called. (Apologies if this has been mentioned :D). They basically loaded all their gear, roadies and themselves into their jumbo jet and toured the world. The jet lag must have been incredible...Anyway, they seem like great guys having a great time. Bruce D flies the plane :) And compare his voice on the recent Aces high to the video of the powerslave tour, he's better than ever (maybe the dropped it a step, can't say :D).

There was a short clip of one of the guitar players (forget which) playing some SRV blues backstage...they admit they pretty much do their one thing and do it pretty well, but I imagine they could bust out some other styles if they wanted to.

Edit, couldn't find a good quality copy, argh...
[YOUTUBE]Zq4daKZ7xXE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
Try to see their recent documentary of their "flying tour"--Somewhere Back In Time I think it's called. (Apologies if this has been mentioned
:D
). They basically loaded all their gear, roadies and themselves into their jumbo jet and toured the world. The jet lag must have been incredible...Anyway, they seem like great guys having a great time. Bruce D flies the plane
:)
And compare his voice on the recent Aces high to the video of the powerslave tour, he's better than ever (maybe the dropped it a step, can't say
:D
).

There was a short clip of one of the guitar players (forget which) playing some SRV blues backstage...they admit they pretty much do their one thing and do it pretty well, but I imagine they could bust out some other styles if they wanted to.

Flight 666 is the movie.

Dave an Janick don't tune down, Adrian does drop D on a couple song to fill things out a bit.

Adrian is also the one playing backstage:
KG7HQ-SC764

That strat is what inspired this guitar of mine, though it's more used on the "Death on the Road" DVD:
webDSCF0016.jpg

• Members

My top ten ranked Maiden Songs

1. Number Of The Beast

2. Wasted Years

3. Hallowed Be Thy Name

4.The Trooper

5. Wratchchild

6. Children of The Damned

7. Killers

8. Run To The Hills

9. Two Minutes To Midnight

10. Where Eagles Dare

check this out!!!

Bruce Dickenson's audition for Maiden...

[YOUTUBE]TVWpN6hfBCY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]TVWpN6hfBCY[/YOUTUBE]

Archived