How good is Iron Maiden?

DaveAronow

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Love Maiden. Saw them twice in the early 80's.

Now, my 16 year old son is a huge fan and has started bass lessons as a result of Steve Harris.

On a side note, while I generally think headbanging is a bit strange, you just can't help but bang when Number of the Beast is playing.

Up the Irons.

:rawk:

• Members

To me, Killers and Maiden Japan (Live) are the ultimate Maiden albums, but the Bruce era stuff rules too. I hated the Blaze Bailey era stuff though. I literally wore through 2 Piece of Mind records.

Seen them way too many times in the 80's and very early nineties. By the time Fear of the Dark came out, they had to cut half the stadium in half because of very poor ticket sales. I couldn't be more happy they made a triumphant return with Bruce back on vokills.

I wish they'd fire Janick though. He is just awful. i hate that Adrian lets him play some of his solo's. Janick is a hack.

My instrumental band brought in a guest singer and cut a quick cover of "The Phantom of the Opera". it was one take (but guitars doubled), so it's not super tight, but it was fun to do regardless

• Members

I did not know you were at that show, Mazi. I was there too. Saxon was excellent! That was the first time I saw Maiden (seen 'em four times now) and I was mesmerized.

Piece of Mind remains my favorite Maiden album.

Yeah, was my first concert. The thing I mainly remember of that concert was Steve Harris' thundering bass. There was this massive metallic clanging sound of him slapping his strings so hard, it was like a metal spike going thru your brain.

• Members
My introduction to them was Number of the Beast album when I was 15. I was blown away. No other record in my music loving history has had that much impact on me. So, I was always a little biased towards Dickenson, but I DID pretty quickly become a fan of the older DiAnno Maiden. He did an adequate job, and it is a tough gig trying to be compared to Dickenson, but the band still kicked ass on the older stuff, especially for me, the Killers album.

I went through a little burn out phase with this band and had to take a break a few years agao, but lately, it is like there old music is as fresh as ever.

I LOVE their documentary DVD too!!

Yes.
Killers.
Yes.

I dig a lot of Maiden's material, new stuff included. Brave New World is awesome.

dscf0783v.jpg

• Members

To me,
Killers
and
Maiden Japan (Live)
are the ultimate Maiden albums, but the Bruce era stuff rules too. I hated the Blaze Bailey era stuff though. I literally wore through 2
Piece of Mind
records.

Seen them way too many times in the 80's and very early nineties. By the time
Fear of the Dark
came out, they had to cut half the stadium in half because of very poor ticket sales. I couldn't be more happy they made a triumphant return with Bruce back on vokills.

I wish they'd fire Janick though. He is just awful. i hate that Adrian lets him play some of his solo's. Janick is a hack.

I too think the Di'anno stuff has held up a little better than Bruce's stuff but Bruce era was my first experience so I'll always love it.

Fear of the Dark was the last album (back then) I ever bought from them. It was the final straw for me. I put up with much of No Prayer as it had it's moments but Fear was really really bad. And yeah Blaze was just {censored} in my opinion.

Those last couple albums were OK I guess...but they were just so formulaic though. To me it sounded like they were just copying old ideas....like "OK we'll have some Aces High type rockers, a power slow song or two and a 10 minute + epic like Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner." But none were done in a fresh way to me. Still though...it was a big improvement over the Fear era.

As for Janick, yeah he's not the best guitarist around (better than me though) but the thing is those guys are all friends. And Janick goes WAY back with them. So they will never get rid of him. I too think they would be better without him but at the same time that's one of the things I love about Maiden as a band. That they don't treat music (too much anyway) as strictly a business. Just guys that love to play and if they can bring their friend along for the ride then great.

• Members

For reasons I could not even define since I've never seen an episode of the show, The Prisoner from Number of the Beast is my favorite Maiden tune.

I've never seen them in concert so my "best" Maiden memory goes back to '87 when I was working at a Taco Bell. It was an opening shift and this guy Brian and I were doing prep before opening. The manager was a gay guy who mostly listened to Rick Astley.

On this particular morning he was up front talking on the phone to his boyfriend which was really creeping me and Brian out so he turns on his boom box and sticks in his Number of the Beast tape. We're halfway through the tape when the manager walks through on his way to his office and asks what that noise is we're listening to. We say, "Dude, it's Iron Maiden" to which he replies, with a signature clich

• Members
I saw Maiden on the Piece of Mind Tour in '83. Fastway and Saxon opened up. My first concert ever, and one of the best I've ever seen. Except for Fastway, they sucked. So while they were playing, we decided that would be a good time to stand in line for t-shirts.
:lol:

Cool, I saw that same tour in Seattle. They had an autograph signing party before the show in Bellevue and I got my Levi jacket sogned by the member of Iron Maiden except for Adrian as he didn't attend the signing.

I told Niko that I hadn't seen him since he played drums for Pat Travers and he seemed to be surprised that I remembered that he played on Travers first record. They were all real nice guys.

I was also a big Saxon fan at the time so it was great show for me!

Max

• Members

Yeah, was my first concert. The thing I mainly remember of that concert was Steve Harris' thundering bass. There was this massive metallic clanging sound of him slapping his strings so hard, it was like a metal spike going thru your brain.

I'm pretty sure Steve uses flatwound strings on his bass. I don't think many other rock or metal guys use flatwounds.

Max

• Members

My first concet was Maiden on the Somewhere in Time tour, 1987? after the show there was a mini riot and the goombas turned a car over and lit it on fire. Rumor at the time was that it was Black Sabbaths bass players car lol...this as at Brendyn Byrne arena in Jersey.

I still listen to Killers and Maiden today, Killers is in my car right now actually...I never liked when Bruce sang D'ianno songs but hes great in his own right. Kind of like Scott/Johnson ac/dc sort of

:thu:

• Members

The last time I saw them was on the Death on the Road tour, the DVD is a nice memento with Paschendale and Dance of Death. I like them a lot. The Brave New World triple guitar works so well, too.

It's too bad they've written some awful crap and that they ignore so many great songs from their earlier years. Although SIT sounds disgusting, Adrian's solos are remarkable works of art on that one.

Funny bit : Revelations is one of my favorites and I bought a Piece of Mind tribute CD by some little orchestra and the only part they totally skip is the twin guitar harmony after the solos, my single most memorable Maiden moment from Live After Death. :facepalm:

Oh, and they almost make me like the Stratocaster! I've even owned a Hotrails!

• Members

It's pretty obvious SIT was Adrian's album...or at least the band tolerating Adrian's desire for more mellow melodic sounds. Don't forget, he'd only last one more album before ASAP...remember this?

[YOUTUBE]-a_ton6RJbc[/YOUTUBE]

Not a bad album, but definetly not what maiden fans were used to.

Personally I think SIT is still a much much better album than No Prayer or Fear of the Dark, as at least they still had some original songs left in them.

• Members

Long time fan and as a former bass player, I idolized Steve Harris in my teens and 20s. I still remember the day that I was in summer school in 9th grade and all of these kids went to the Judas Priest concert the night before and came to school wearing this t-shirt with a zombie holding a bloody axe. Was the coolest thing I had ever seen (it was Iron Maiden who opened for Judas Priest obviously the night before on the Killers tour). I walked home from school, stopped at the local Peaches records and bought the record. One of my all time faves to this day. They lost me after Somewhere in Time but every couple of years I'll go through a phase where I listen to a bunch of Maiden a lot. I even went and saw them 2004 and they were fantastic, I hadn't seem em in 20 years at least. Some of the newer material is fantastic, the song Paschendale is amazing, one of their best ever. I do admit, I prefer the Dianno stuff over the Dickenson stuff these days.

In fact Paul Di'anno played a show in Dallas just last Sunday night at some club, I should have gone but due to the recent storms, we'd been without power for four days and I left the family at a hotel the night before due to my band having a gig. Wouldn not have gone over well with the wife! His Battlezone record is fantastic, the rest of his solo stuff though was a little weak.

• Members

Cool, I saw that same tour in Seattle. They had an autograph signing party before the show in Bellevue and I got my Levi jacket sogned by the member of Iron Maiden except for Adrian as he didn't attend the signing.

I told Niko that I hadn't seen him since he played drums for Pat Travers and he seemed to be surprised that I remembered that he played on Travers first record. They were all real nice guys.

I was also a big Saxon fan at the time so it was great show for me!

Max

I went to that Maiden, Saxon, Fastway show also in 83, was awesome.

Archived