How good is Iron Maiden?

DaveAronow

• Members

One of a select few bands who managed to "keep it real" for all these years. I bought a Killers cassette off the shelf having never heard of the band. It quickly grew on me. After DiAnno left I wasn't too keen on Number of the Beast or Piece of Mind for whatever reason, but when Power Slave came out they won me over all over again. :rawk: After that I was exploring the other vast flavors of "college rock" and stopped following most metal acts which seemingly had gotten sticky with hairspray anyway. :idk:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I saw Maiden on the Piece of Mind Tour in '83. Fastway and Saxon opened up. My first concert ever, and one of the best I've ever seen. Except for Fastway, they sucked. So while they were playing, we decided that would be a good time to stand in line for t-shirts. :lol:

• Members

I like Iron Maiden.

I don't like the fans of Iron Maiden.

(huge generalization, obviously, but
there's a lot of angry white 12 year old boys out there
)

Just my experience, but back in the 80s all the people I knew who were into Maiden weren't very angry at all. I've just never thought of Iron Maiden's music as catering to angry people. :idk: Maybe I hung around a different crowd.

The angry ones back then were more into Sabbath, Slayer and Metallica. Today, I think they'd be more into stuff like Slipknot and Lamb of God.

• Members
I saw Maiden on the Piece of Mind Tour in '83. Fastway and Saxon opened up. My first concert ever, and one of the best I've ever seen. Except for Fastway, they sucked. So while they were playing, we decided that would be a good time to stand in line for t-shirts.
:lol:

I saw them on that tour except we got Twisted Sister and Fastway...trade ya! Saxon fuggin' rocked!!! :rawk:

• Members

I saw them open for Priest and before they came on stage I was thinking "How long must I deal with this Iron Maiden garbage before Priest come on?, maybe I'll just go and walk around for a while".

And then they started to play and I was very upset when they ended and Priest came on - I think their twin guitar/now triple guitar style is simply untouchable!!

UP the Irons! Hell - I own an Ibanez Destroyer because of them!!

• Members

I don't own even one "metal" record, but those guys are undeniably a great band.

I was channel surfing last year and stumbled across a mid eighties concert of theirs. Was not planning to watch, but I was so impressed by their musicianship I ended up watching the entire thing and enjoyed it.

It's obvious they are serious about their craft and get my respect.

And I have no personal knowledge of the makeup of their audience, but their music did not seem "angry" to me. It just seemed pretty damn good.

• Members

I saw Maiden with Di'Anno and {censored}ing hated them, these days I just love em to {censored}in bits, I don't see how anybody couldn't

They are everything that's good about metal

damn! Killers was the 1st Maiden record I ever heard. The 1st two are my favorites, when NOTB came out it was a bit of a shock!

wrong lyrics - but good stuff!

[YOUTUBE]kNChchX6bpw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]gDZraNdXeS8[/YOUTUBE]

I was lucky enough to catch them on the Peace of Mind and Powerslave tours - great stuff :thu:

• Members

I saw them on that tour except we got Twisted Sister and Fastway...trade ya! Saxon fuggin' rocked!!!
:rawk:

Nah, you can keep your Twisted Sister!

Saxon was awesome on that tour. They were also one of my favorite bands at the time. First time I'd ever seen someone smash a guitar into an amp live. Buncha sparks flew out of the amp on impact. I'm pretty sure it was just staged, but for a 13 year old kid to see it was awesome! :lol:

• Members

Nah, you can keep your Twisted Sister!

Saxon was awesome on that tour. They were also one of my favorite bands at the time. First time I'd ever seen someone smash a guitar into an amp live. Buncha sparks flew out of the amp on impact. I'm pretty sure it was just staged, but for a 13 year old kid to see it was awesome!

I only got to see Saxon once in a relatively small venue in my home town instead of something larger in Oakland or SF an hour away. Accept opened for them. :cool: Crusader tour iirc.

*sigh...good times* :)

• Members

I saw Maiden on the Piece of Mind Tour in '83. Fastway and Saxon opened up. My first concert ever, and one of the best I've ever seen. Except for Fastway, they sucked. So while they were playing, we decided that would be a good time to stand in line for t-shirts.

I saw this show in Boise ID. Boy did you swing and miss on Fastway. I hope you still have your T-Shirts! :confused:Maiden was awesome but Saxon definitely held their own...

• Members

The song "Two Minutes to Midnight" just got done playing on my Rhapsody radio.

Pretty dam cool. I don't know a whole about their music, but the little I've heard I liked.

I've also just been introduced to some older songs by the group UFO. The guitar playing on these songs is just incredible.

I'm an older guy (late 40's) who really didn't pay a whole lot of attention to some of the hard rock/metalish bands of the late 70's and early 80's. I'm kind of getting turned on to these bands now. Some great playing, and cool songwriting.

TMTM is my favorite Maiden tune along with Aces High so naturally Powerslave is my favorite album. UFO is my all-time favorite band. I think we would probably get along...:thu:

• Members

...Iron Maiden kick ASS!

They have had SUCH an impact & influence on metal music.

I Love & prefer their music prior to NPFTD. Unfortunately since then, their music doesn't hit me the same way at all. Also, my apologies, but I never liked JanickY at all - they could do without him, not that they should do so though.

When I was 15 a buddy of mine gave me Killers, NOB, and POM all at once. I listened to them that night and was both blown away & scared {censored}less! The music was so HEAVY & so cool sounding, and the lyrics were interesting & DANGEROUS sounding. Unbelievable! :evil:

Then Powerslave, the World Slavery Tour, and Live After Death happened! WOW! Their show in Ottawa, even though it was a smaller venue, was THE greatest concert experience of my life! KILLER show right from the start! I remember it like it was yesterday.

As far as how "good" IM is ...I'd say that they have written some awesome songs of substance, are an EXCELLENT live band, sound great in the studio, and are real guys who (more importantly) can *STILL* bring the rock after such a long career!

As far as guitar proficiency goes, Dave & Adrian may not be best 'uns, but for sure they're good 'uns. IMHO Steve & Nicko are very special -- but Nicko just freaks me right out he's such an incredible drummer. {censored}ing *SOLID* rhythm section man! Of course Bruce is Bruce - who is a classically trained singer I believe (aside: same with Rob Halford!).

Of course these days IM might not be considered as heavy as say Lamb of God ...but heavy is MUCH more than just what one HEARS & sees ...

Up the Irons!

• Members

Love Iron Maiden. Amazing songs, amazing musicianship.

Powerslave is probably my favorite album, but they have so many great albums it's just hard to choose, but Fear of the Dark is def. my favorite song. Also, I loved the last album, especially Brighter than a thousand suns and the Longest Day. Both are really long songs, but filled with great riffs and solos, awesome lyrics, etc.

Archived