what was your craziest gig ever?

geetarded

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

wasn't crazy because of numbers, but because of what we played. it was wall to wall people (why i dunno, we were pretty unknown at the time), and it was a venue where the band is on about a 3 foot riser at one end of a 65x65 ft. room, zeppelin's The Ocean comes to mind.

anyway i live in an area that's filled with a lot of goth high school kids, and they'd never heard blues turned up that loud before, and we had a room full of converts about 30 seconds in, everyone just went nuts. lots of punk blues stuff like black keys and white stripes mixed with hendrix.

• Members

this was just awesome for me,

6 years ago I played in front of 8,000 people at the Jacksonville Fl arena, It wasn't my band, but this singer Joy williams. She needed a band because she usually sang with back tracks, but she wanted a full band because it was a big show.

her tour manager contacted me and they saw me play a show a month before and said they thought I was really talented and had alot of stage presence. they sent me the tracks and told me too learn them perfectly, and I got there the whole band never practiced together we just played what we all learned and it all fit together.

look her up on wiki she is really legit now

• Members

I used to play a club where the stage was up on a loft. The lighting rig was mounted to the ceiling and right in your eyes, so you couldn't see the audience too well. Just outlines.

During one gig, I could see the dance floor below totally packed. The band was having a great time to play to such a big crowd and we got carried away in our own jamming and interplay.

When the song finished, I looked back down at the floor and it was completely empty. We finished the set and I walked down the stairs and asked my girlfriend, "What happened to all the people?" She said, "You couldn't see? Someone got stabbed directly in front of you."

The club was Beyond Ordinary right?

I remember that gig, you guys killed that night.

:badump:

• Members

Played at a cop, rescue, and veterans bar. Very weird, I didn't even know they existed. It was a one-off show in New Jersey. At the time, I was just singing for a band with occasional songs where I'd grab my guitar and provide some rhythm. We played alt-rock inspired by Britpop and early punk.

They didn't care for it. But I was young and eager for attention. The setup was: we were playing in a room attached to the bar area with a small stage. By the second song no one was in there, they were all in the conjoined bar room playing pool or drinking. So I just got off the stage, walked my mic over to the entrance of the bar area and started singing there. The band eventually followed me. I tried to involve the crowd a number of times by being obnoxious and throwing my arm around someone, and apparently I did it to the wrong person. Some very butch woman punched me right in the face.

I didn't care for it. I finished the gig, and didn't stay to drink. Needless to say I didn't care for the vibe afterward. Really, most of our gigs are pretty formula. Sad as that is.

• Members

Outdoor show "Parkinglotapalooza" and we were the final act. Late night in the middle of a small college town and the cops shut us down in our set. It was snowing and that somehow made it cooler. Cops shut the PA off, then the lights, then actually unplugged the amps. The crowd was loving it and so were we. Helluva way to go out. haha!

• Members

I used to play a club where the stage was up on a loft. The lighting rig was mounted to the ceiling and right in your eyes, so you couldn't see the audience too well. Just outlines.

During one gig, I could see the dance floor below totally packed. The band was having a great time to play to such a big crowd and we got carried away in our own jamming and interplay.

When the song finished, I looked back down at the floor and it was completely empty. We finished the set and I walked down the stairs and asked my girlfriend, "What happened to all the people?" She said, "You couldn't see? Someone got stabbed directly in front of you."

The show must go on, eh?

• Members

Well, apart from the wedding reception where the bride's great-aunt complained we were too loud (Super Reverb on 3, drummer playing w/brushes) and asked if we could 'turn off the amplifiers and just use the guitars' ...

• Members

Played at a cop, rescue, and veterans bar. Very weird, I didn't even know they existed. It was a one-off show in New Jersey. At the time, I was just singing for a band with occasional songs where I'd grab my guitar and provide some rhythm. We played alt-rock inspired by Britpop and early punk.

They didn't care for it. But I was young and eager for attention. The setup was: we were playing in a room attached to the bar area with a small stage. By the second song no one was in there, they were all in the conjoined bar room playing pool or drinking. So I just got off the stage, walked my mic over to the entrance of the bar area and started singing there. The band eventually followed me. I tried to involve the crowd a number of times by being obnoxious and throwing my arm around someone, and apparently I did it to the wrong person. Some very butch woman punched me right in the face.

I didn't care for it. I finished the gig, and didn't stay to drink. Needless to say I didn't care for the vibe afterward. Really, most of our gigs are pretty formula. Sad as that is.

With the kind of music you played, I'm surprised you were asked to play there. It was a very obvious mis-match.

• Members

A lot of years ago, the band I was in was playing a rather seedy bar. The stage was very small. So small in fact the the bassist had to stand right should to the crowd and I had to stand left should to the crowd. Mid way through the fist set the bassist keeps elbowing me in the back. We finish the set and I ask him, wtf is wrong with you? He proceed to tell me about this couple stage side who, if they were nekid, would be having sex. Second set starts and now they are being watched by both the bassist and myself. Well into the second set, the couple still going at it, a pool que snaps across the back of the guys head... with in seconds, it seems, the place is in a riot. Bodies flying, bottles breaking, blood on the floor. We unplug and head for the door, Just as we reach the door we hear two dull flat booms of a shot gun going off. The cops come screaming into the bar and start dragging people to jail. The cops lock the place up, and we go home (we were waiting to get the rest of our gear). We called the manager about the next night and we were told everything is a go (it was a three night gig). We come into the club, check out our gear (minimal damage) and get ready to play. About 5 minutes into the first set, the same couple sits down in the exact same seats as the night before. Him with a bandage on his head, a neck brace and one arm in a sling and her, what appeared to be a broken nose and one hand bandaged. Again the bassist and I spend the whole night watching them... this time in fear.

• Members

Dunno if a recording session would be considered valid here but..

Years ago (early ninetees) a freind of mine ran a studio, which offered the unique service of co-writing songs for people who wanted to record but didn't have the know-how or experience.

During the couple of years it lasted, one of the clients was one of these mad women who fall in love with dudes on death row in the states.

I can only assume he was up for murder if he was on there right?

Anyway, he apparently wrote poetry, which this mad women wanted set to music for this murderer bloke.

The other studio guy did one track and my friend wrote a soft rock tune which he asked me to sing on.

So basically I sang this killers words over the tune. The woman paid (I did it for the experience) and took the finished tracks.

Although soft rock was never my thing the song was well written and fun to sing although the dudes poetry was some cheesy 'ride like the wind' type thing.

I never met her and heard nothing more after I did it but I sometimes wonder if matey heard it before he got fried.

• Members

did a gig once at a venue called the boardwalk - we all got dressed up as women, the singer drove a bike into me while i was playing a solo and nearly knocked me offstage (i still have no idea where it came from), the dressing room got smashed up, the drumkit was covered in whipped cream, and a comedy meat raffle went badly wrong - some girl got hit in the head by an airborne raw chicken, sausages flying everywhere being trodden into the floor. we got banned for life. i'm playing there in a month with a different band :)

• Members

(from some old writings)

A LESSON IN ANCIENT HISTORY

In 1977, I was a senior in high school in the Atlanta, Georgia area, and playing in a High School dance band called Phenix Rising. We were rough musically, but we could begin and end all of the cover tunes together, and had a few moments of brilliance, along with many memories that are funny NOW. For about a year, we were playing once or twice per week, and getting paid to do something we would have gladly paid to do.

Our singer Floyd had a gift of meeting and talking to strangers. In a chance meeting, he brought the band an experience we will never forget. A film crew was to be in Atlanta, filming a major motion picture called

• Members

Craziest in terms of sheer awesome win would be playing bass in a pickup band for the late great Bo Diddley at a benefit concert. But everyone here has heard that story a bazillion times.

Craziest in terms of bat{censored} crazy would be when a band I was in did a local show. One of the younger band members has some parents that, well, when they're not on their best behavior, can closely resemble suspects featured on COPS.

So one night, both parents (they're divorced) come to the show. Dad is out of it before his first drink. Turns out he took a handful of Xanax before leaving the house. After a few beers, he's basically comatose and someone has to be called to come get him.

Meanwhile, the Mom is there too, at another table, with her bigass shaven-head boyfriend. I'm guessing Mom is in her 40's. And is hitting the booze pretty hard. She starts going all cougar on our bassist while Boyfriend is out of the room. Boyfriend returns and is not amused. Fortunately (the bassist is ex-Navy and worked a security detail on a ship and can hold his own) before the fists can do much damage, Boyfriend is ejected from the bar.

All of this happens while the opener is still playing. We get up to play our set. I see out in the back of the bar, Boyfriend has either snuck or talked his way back in. He gets a camera from Mom and takes some pics from a safe distance. So far, so good.

Then he starts heading for the stage.

Uh-oh.

Amazingly, he does not take a swing at the bassist. Instead, he is drunk enough to fancy himself a rock photog, and proceeds to get in everyone's way trying to take pictures of us while he's still onstage. He is also drunk enough to fall flat on his ass, onstage, and basically have the bouncers drag him off. One of the band members snatched his camera and took a pic before he was dragged off:

013_13.JPG

Ah, good times!

• Members

played for over 2000 bikers at a private rally. At the end of the show they all got naked on their motorcycles and circled the campground in a roar of thunder. A gig I will never forget. Best applause ever.

No offense but that sounds a little homer sexual.

• Members

Ever hear of biker chicks!!!
:thu:

Sure, but not in his post.

played for over 2000 bikers at a private rally. At the end of the show they all got naked on their motorcycles and circled the campground in a roar of thunder.

Was Rob Halford, Zack Wild and Glen Hughes there?

• Members

Sure, but not in his post.

played for over 2000 bikers at a private rally. At the end of the show they all got naked on their motorcycles and circled the campground in a roar of thunder.

Was Rob Halford, Zack Wild and Glen Hughes there?

The word bikers is not male only. I know quite a few females that would take offense to that.

I've played for the biker club that Billy Gibbons and Jay Leno are members of and there were about half and half male and female bikers.

• Members

(from some old writings)

In 1977, I was a senior in high school in the Atlanta, Georgia area, and playing in a High School dance band called Phenix Rising.

OMG! I remember you guys! In 1977 I was in the eighth grade at Riverwood HS. Did you maybe play our homecoming dance or something that year? I don't when I saw you, but I remember you sounding pretty impressive to my 13-year-old years.

• Members

Well, apart from the wedding reception where the bride's great-aunt complained we were too loud (Super Reverb on 3, drummer playing w/brushes) and asked if we could 'turn off the amplifiers and just use the guitars' ...

Someone should have nicked her hearing aids! :cop:

• Members

1986, the Habs won the Stanley Cup on the road, and the victory parade was a few days later. I went to The Forum to check out the celebration, but the lineup to get in went around the block three times. Screw that, I went to the press entrance and a friend who worked for the local promoter saw me and let me in. "We have to get guitars, come with me!" So, we high tail it to his place, get axes, and return to the venue where I'm introduced to the rest of the band. You see, the real entertainment was stuck in the parade, and the crowd had been drinking beer for over an hour with nothing onstage.

"We're playing until the other bands get here."

Out we go, my knees were knocking,1-2-3-4 and it's 3 chord R&R for 45 minutes. the slap from the backwall was disorienting, and at one point I finished a break and this gawdawful noise broke out. "Oh, applause....."

We finished up, the big names came on, and lip synced.

Archived