what was your craziest gig ever?

geetarded

• Members

OMG! I remember you guys! In 1977 I was in the eighth grade at Riverwood HS. Did you maybe play our homecoming dance or something that year? I don't when I saw you, but I remember you sounding pretty impressive to my 13-year-old years.

OMG! Probably so. The bass player has all of our archives, so I can't give you the exact date. (he has kids, so that's where the history should be kept). We were in high school, too, and were probably 17 at the time. I was by far the least talented in the band, but we could start and stop songs together, which was most of the challenge.

We did a pretty good show, with Nugent, Boston, Cheap Trick, all of the crunchy stuff of the time. Were we smashing televisions when we played at Riverwood? I will try to find that story and post it.

I am so tickled about this! Wait 'till I tell my wife (Imagine eyes rolling).

oldMattB

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OMG! I remember you guys! In 1977 I was in the eighth grade at Riverwood HS. Did you maybe play our homecoming dance or something that year? I don't when I saw you, but I remember you sounding pretty impressive to my 13-year-old years.

Got it:

In 1977, I was a senior in high school in the Atlanta,

Georgia area, and playing in a High School dance

band called Phenix Rising. We were rough musically,

but we could begin and end all of the cover tunes

together, and had a few moments of brilliance, along

with many memories that are funny NOW. For about

a year, we were playing once or twice per week, and

getting paid to do something we would have gladly

paid to do.

We were all fans of the band Cheap Trick, and played

several of their songs in our set. Our favorite was

• Members

1969, Trois Riviere, Quebec. Stadium gig.

Couple of days beforehand they're warning of an approaching hurricane remnant. But the promoter insists on us proceeding.

Come Saturday, I mean it looks seriously ugly, local stations are promising doom, but we go on or no pay.

2PM - we go on. Sky is dark, slight drizzle, wind gusting to 5 knots.

Not counting the event relatives, maybe 50 people in the bleachers, all wrapped in see-thru plastic. We do a 90 minute set.

It's the most surreal event I recall.

• Members

Couple of days beforehand they're warning of an approaching hurricane remnant. But the promoter insists on us proceeding.

Come Saturday, I mean it looks seriously ugly, local stations are promising doom, but we go on or no pay.

Not counting the event relatives, maybe 50 people in the bleachers, all wrapped in see-thru plastic. We do a 90 minute set.

Wow, that should have been ten minutes and head for cover.

Neil Young's "Like a Hurricane," Dylan's "Hurricane," Any other good songs for that scenario?:

oldMattB

• Members

It was mid-Fall, probably 1977. For a bunch of kids with little talent, we were doing well, playing school dances, parties, and recently community pool parties. We had just finished our final set at a community pool in a northern suburb of Atlanta, actually the neighborhood where some of us lived.

Several of us were sitting in chairs resting and planning our evacuation. One of the adult chaperones, Mr. M. walks up to Floyd the singer. Floyd was a year or two older than the rest of us, and had long hair (ours was still growing). Mr. M. says get up and get this s#it out of here. Floyd replied, "We just finished playing... we'll rest a second and load the truck." I was sitting there with Floyd and thought Floyd's words were reasonable. What I did not witness was Mr. M grabbing Floyd by the hair and yanking him out of the chair.

Floyd starts cussing, grabbing and kicking. Mr. M. gets Floyd around the throat and squeezes until Floyd calms down a little, drags him to the gate and throws him out. Floyd has scrapes, blood blisters and finger imprints on his neck, and was missing an observable chunk of hair. We QUICKLY load our stuff and get the f*** out of there, not wanting to have the fingerprints of Mr. M. on OUR necks.

Floyd went to the police and pressed charges. Apparently the court did not think the incident warranted any punishment of one of the pillars of the community. Word was that the judge was one of Mr. M's drinking buddies.

another old story,

oldMattB

• Members
When a whacked out gal came onstage and began to fellate our singer. He took it all in stride. She "completed the task" too......

sorry to get super-specific here, but....he ...uh....jizzed?:eek: on stage? :eek: while singing? :eek: wtf? :eek::eek:

is that what you mean by "completed the task?"

I'm about to call shenanigans.

• Members

When a whacked out gal came onstage and began to fellate our singer. He took it all in stride. She "completed the task" too......

From the singer's voice lessons: "now close your eyes, open your mouth wide, AND PROJECT TOWARD THE AUDIENCE."

OLDmATTb

• Members

We did a pretty good show, with Nugent, Boston, Cheap Trick, all of the crunchy stuff of the time. Were we smashing televisions when we played at Riverwood? I will try to find that story and post it.

I am so tickled about this! Wait 'till I tell my wife (Imagine eyes rolling).

oldMattB

Small world! I don't remember the theatrics -- I guess I didn't see you till after the "no televisions or mannequins" clause went into effect. What a shame.

• Members

Aussie pub gig in the '80s. The bar in which we were playing was full of people there to get (very) drunk and have a good time. We'd played this pub many times before, the night usually started slow and got roudy... then more roudy until it errupted into a number of fights. The stage was only about 12" high and crowded. I hated playing there as the punters pushed up against the stage and so I was left playing with guys practically standing on top of me, spilling beer all over my guitar and blowing smoke in my face. Anyway, the first set went ok, played the "usual" covers. The bar filled, the beer flowed. We came out for the second set... "play Wild Thing". We did. After about 10 mins a drunk women got the crowd going again "play Wild Thing". We did it again (with some improvisation in the mddle to make it more interesting). After a few more songs... the same drunk women invites herself on stage to sing "Wild Thing" and begins to strip by pulling up her top and flashing. Our singer gets angry and makes a sign to security to get her off stage. Security does it's job but unfortunately the crowd feel robbed, they wanted to see her strip. Then it was on!!! One big brawl that spread across that room like a mexican wave. Drunks were up on stage smashing the foldbacks, grabbing the mic stands... We retreated to the band room. Our drummer stayed out there to protect his kit (brave man). I'd left my backup on stage and had to go back out myself. I had to wrestle it out of some girls hands. The police arrived and together with security cleared the place of wild drunks. We later came back out and finished the gig in a room now half empty. Just another gig in an Aussie pub.

• Members

Drunks are cool... I've seen them do soooooo many stupid things.

One of my favorites is when I was sitting in with a buddys band. We were playing some {censored}ty hall party. One drunk asked me "mmmkff blblullgg ffffff?" I said no, and went on with the set. About ten minutes later he asks my buddy (6'8 325, former college lineman) "do yoush nooo aloasfvmr asasjgase?". He answers "I don't speak drunk, you'll have to find an interpreter". He comes back several minutes later with someone drunker than him and the new drunk says "dijg[asodijfa asfgija[srptjl;asjdnfvsssssh?" My buddys askes them to go sit down so we can finish our set. He then punches my buddy in the nuts. My buddy pops the strap lock on his J-bass and clocks him in the mouth this the body. The drunk is laid out on the floor and we are beating it to the door. He start to work out a plan to retrieve our stuff when we notice my buddy isn't there. We take out first steps towards the door, when my buddy comes around the corner with his bass over his shoulder like paul bunyon. That's when we noticed the drunks two front teeth (parts of them anyway) were stuck in the body of his guitar.

No, we didn't get paid

Another fun thing to watch drunks do is dance. seen this fat assed drunk guy "dancing" (OK, more like a drunken seizure). He stumbles into the bride then falls backwards into the floor monitors, laying his head wide open. We never stopped playing

• Members

You should get The Guess Who's 2000? Reunion DVD. They were playing in a lightning storm and pouring rain with very strong winds. They went on break for about 1/2 hour when it got real bad, then came back and finished the concert and I don't think anybody left the stadium!

• Members
About 5 minutes into the first set, the same couple sits down in the exact same seats as the night before. Him with a bandage on his head, a neck brace and one arm in a sling and her, what appeared to be a broken nose and one hand bandaged. Again the bassist and I spend the whole night watching them... this time in fear.

The power of love :lol:

• Members

Good story... playing to aggressive drunks in an Aussie pub is considered a normal right of passage. All the big Aussie bands started that way.

I remember when I was 14 sneaking into a pub to see AC/DC. They were literally a "pub band" in those days. Angus wasn't much older than I was (he looked younger). Bon Scott was out front... Angus used to run around and moon the audience then just like he does today.

Given that you had to start in an Aussie Pub, the hardest part was getting your "originals" worked into the set. It was a balancing act... you'd have to warm the crowd with stuff they know and then sneak the unknown songs into the set list later. If you left it too long the crowd got too drunk and took offence to hearing songs they didn't know...

Once they were drunk enough you'd have to put up with the fights and the calls to play the same songs over and over -- "Aussie pub favourites"... mainly Cold Chisel and The Angels stuff. A refusal to play them could go bad for a band.

Archived