New Apple product next week?

Bookumdano2

• Members

Too bad it doesn't have chain attachment points so you could wear it around your neck, Flavor Flav style.
;)

:D

I honestly don't see myself getting an iPad any time soon. I don't see what it would give me that I don't already have "covered" with my iPhone and MacBook.
:idk:

If one doesn't have either of those things, though, it could be rather fun and useful to have.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To join the uber-geekiness for a moment, I don't believe Apple's YouTube app is playing .FLV videos. Google developed an H .264 version of YouTube for the iPhone, so when the iPhone (or the iPad) plays YouTube videos, it's playing H .264.

Yeah, that would make sense.

I think it's part of a larger strategy to supplant flash in favor of native video support in HTML5 based on open standards that wouldn't require any kind of plugin to work.

I'd actually be very happy if that happened. I hate Flash. The only reason to use it is because currently nothing else really does what it does. I'm positive that what it does can be done much better.

• Members

If one doesn't have either of those things, though, it could be rather fun and useful to have.

For sure! I have a lot less need to lug the laptop around since I got an iPhone, for sure. There are even iPhone apps which you can use to log into and control your home computer, and those would work on the iPad. So if you really need to access your computer to do something the iPad can't do, there's that. That capability on the iPhone has saved my butt a couple of times.

• Members

The Big Kindle is almost $500. The small one is $259. The biggest iPod is $400, and most of the more robust media players are in the $300-$400 range..

I see the niche for certain people...I hate the name, but looking at it, it does look like something out of a Trek movie. Considering what people pay for a maxed out iPhone and then to pay monthly 3g on top of it, the loaded iPad as a laptop/travel alternate makes some sense, especially with the battery life.

• Members

The standards support continues with EPUB.

I think the word for the day is "immersive". That was the meta message of Steve sitting and surfing. The $30 data plan means that many people will find a reason to have these things with them all the time.

Some people have pointed out that "album" graphics will need to be resized. Overall, I think that there are a lot of things that are good for content people.

• Members

No isight. No skype ability. That's gonna sink this product.

Just like the iPhone, the iPad will probably let you use Skype over a Wi-Fi connection, but using 3G with VoIP is likely out of the question. I also wonder if Apple will allow a Google Voice app that's built specifically for the iPad. There may not be any point to that since the iPad isn't a phone, and Google just came out with a Google Voice Web app specifically for mobile devices.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/187963/apple_ipad_what_we_still_dont_know.html

The telecoms probably weighed on the decision to leave the camera off.

On my list of fantasy/GAS items is a wireless controller for DAW usage. Granted, the iPad costs more than twice as much as, say, a Frontier Design Tranzport, but there are a number of iPhone apps that can be adapted to the iPad that do similar jobs, such as the Far Out Labs Pro Remote and Pro Transport.

Pro Remote has been on my "want to get" list for my iPhone since I first heard about it. Unfortunately, they don't have a Windows compatible version ready yet, so it's a no-go with my system. However, that, plus an iPad, would probably make for a really cool (and at $600 total cost, relatively inexpensive) multi-touch touchscreen / wireless remote control for Pro Tools. I could see myself eventually getting an iPad and dedicating it to that, but otherwise, I really don't want / need one for anything else. IMO, it's too big to carry all the time (which is what the iPhone's for) and what the iPhone can't do, I have covered with my Macbook.

• Members

Now that I like hugely.

You hang it upside down, of course, so you just flip it up to look at it. As long as the accelerometer/gravitometer thingie doesn't just flip the picture around, in which case, hey, better yet.

But, yeah, I think you nailed it. That'll bring back bling with a peculiarly 21st century spin. So to speak.

• Members

To join the uber-geekiness for a moment, I don't believe Apple's YouTube app is playing .FLV videos. Google developed an H .264 version of YouTube for the iPhone, so when the iPhone (or the iPad) plays YouTube videos, it's playing H .264.

I think it's part of a larger strategy to supplant flash in favor of native video support in HTML5 based on open standards that wouldn't require any kind of plugin to work.

I'm a web developer so I'm looking forward to HTML5, just as I've looked forward to the widespread adoption of every previous web standard 'upgrade.' But the adoption of those 'standards' is glacially slow.

At any given time, right now, one in five web surfers are using Internet explorer 6 -- which came out in August 2001!

But most of them have the current or a fairly recent Flash plug in.

I used to hate Flash but it's clear that Macromedia put some very good work into it and now that its primary use is actually delivering desired content instead of woefully self-indulgent splash screens or irritating 'eye-catcher' ad animations (which are still widespread, of course, but at least are a little more 'amusing,' what with little video figures frantically gesturing for your attention trying to get you to turn the sound up so they can hit you with their spiel. Somehow that does amuse me. Mostly because I never give them the satisfaction.) We'll have to see if Adobe can keep up MM's prior good work.

• Members

You *could* probably use it as a phone through VoIP or something, although you'd look kind of silly holding a big slab up to your face. I think everyone was waiting for a forward facing camera for using it for video iChat... maybe in the 2nd generation version.

I made a Skype call from my laptop at the coffee house once... I used a pair of earbuds for the incoming but I felt a little odd sitting talking to my computer via its built in mic. But that was years ago. I think people are totally used to people talking to 'no one' now because of the proliferation of Bluetooth earpieces.

• Members

Pro Remote has been on my "want to get" list for my iPhone since I first heard about it. Unfortunately, they don't have a Windows compatible version ready yet, so it's a no-go with my system. However, that, plus an iPad, would probably make for a really cool (and at $600 total cost, relatively inexpensive) multi-touch touchscreen / wireless remote control for Pro Tools. I could see myself eventually getting an iPad and dedicating it to that, but otherwise, I really don't want / need one for anything else. IMO, it's too big to carry all the time (which is what the iPhone's for) and what the iPhone can't do, I have covered with my Macbook.

Ah, yes, I could see how the lack of Windows compatibility would be a downer. Can Pro Tools receiving MIDI controller messages? TouchOSC might be an option.

If I got an iPad as a multi-touch wireless DAW controller, it would probably stay in my music room. I wouldn't take a Frontier Design wireless controller out of my house very much either. My main DAW machine is my Macbook Pro, but it does not have a multitouch trackpad.

Archived