New Apple product next week?

Bookumdano2

• Members
Yeah, but, to get seriously geeky for a minute... the videos get converted to .FLV format (Flash
video
) which is not the same thing as embedded Flash content (.SWF).

Correct. I was oversimplifying it for the less geeky among us (which, now that I think about it, is a small minority around here). :D

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

0.5 inches thick

- weighs 1.5 pounds (0.7kilos)

- 9.7 inch multitouch display

- 1GHz Apple A4 chip (built in house)

- between 16GB and 64GB of flash memory

sounds like a low level netbook.

I'm sure you meant to write designed in house and manufactured under their supervision, yes? (Or am I misinformed there?)

• Members

Big -- if not surprising -- news seems to be that the 3G models (available later at what seems like a hefty $130 premium) will not be locked into AT&T service -- although AT&T will be the first service providers online with month-to-month plans.

Looks like the perplexing ~$1K price point that had been floated was just a little bit of downward expectation engineering, since the base 16 GB unit (without 3G) will be priced at ~$500. But get the 64 GB unit with 3G and you're talking about ~$830 and another $30/month for 3G service.

From what I can tell...

This was designed as:

- the ultimate e-book reader

- the ultimate digital photo display

- the ultimate PERSONAL video player

- a complement to a Mac + iPhone combo

- the ALMOST ultimate net book*

* Apple will never display Flash content. It sucks but any iPhone user out there is getting used to that, anyway. Still, that may keep away many potential new customers.

It is NOT:

- A Laptop replacement for day to day work ( This is a bummer, given it could be awesome to prepare a killer KeyNote presentation on it and then just plug it on a video projector or even send the signal via WiFi / Bluetooth to a video device such like Apple TV and others)

- Designed as a "take it everywhere" and use it as a photo / video camera

- Your current DAW replacement. Forget about running Pro Tools or even GarageBand on it, unless Apple releases GarageBand for iPad.

- it does not sport USB ports, just like any other iPhone / iPod Touch

- it won't run full OS X apps, unless they are specifically designed for the iPad.

- a telephone :D

It is:

- Rightly priced. Slightly pricier than a standard netbook, but come on, this looks terrific.

- Muy bonito. :love:

I may end up buying one for me ... and even buy one for my son, instead of whatever new thing Nintendo / Sony release for home consoles. The video may not be the same quality but it seems the dwarf would like to have an iPod Touch... then why not an iPad? It would be great and I could save money from not buying him a computer + game console ! And he may -and will- end up using the music apps designed for it.

Yes, this will rock as a gift for my son :thu:

• Members

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Size and weight

Height:9.56 inches (242.8 mm)

Width:7.47 inches (189.7 mm)

Depth:0.5 inch (13.4 mm)

Weight:

1.5 pounds (.68 kg) Wi-Fi model

1.6 pounds (.73 kg) Wi-Fi + 3G model

Input and Output

• Dock connector

• 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack

• Built-in speakers

• Microphone

• SIM card tray (Wi-Fi + 3G model only)
It may not be a phone, but I predict there will be voice communications apps for it, with or w/o Apple approval. (File that one under, Well, duh. ;) )

• Members

Blue I was just quoting the Guardian Article

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/jan/27/apple-tablet-launch-live-coverage

Well... I was working off info from Ars Technica...

So... who ya gonna believe? The air-headed tech-wannabes or the old lefties? :D

But I'm pretty sure that Apple doesn't run its own chip fab plant(s). I could be wrong. I just watch Apple from a distant hill... ;)

EDIT: Here's a big from CrunchGear (pulled from Google cache, as CrunchGear appears swamped right now):

Apple looking into building its own chips

by John Biggs on April 30, 2009

apple_chips

Not content at owning 100% of the world

• Members

I'm buyin' one. But not until probably 2nd gen. Cam would be nice.

And yes I recognise it's shortcomings. But I see it handy for photo trips, toss it in my pack, multitouch maps/photos on a bigger screen, awesome.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if something like this becomes my computer. I don't game as much anymore and if my design career doesn't make it I won't need my desktop.

• Members

Can't wait to see the selection of armbands for this thing. Ha.

Yeah, at roughly ten by seven and a half inches and a pound and a half, it's a bit of an awkward size. Too big for most pockets (I've had overcoats with huge pockets that might accept one). Probably too big for most fanny packs. (Not that I would ever be caught dead with a fanny pack anywhere but a backwoods trail.) But small enough to make it hard to justify a backpack.

But I'm sure that there will be a raft of accoutrements for it soon.

• Members

So yeah, it sucks. Apple and Adobe really need to work this out. It doesn't reflect very well on either company, frankly.

I think it's part of a larger strategy to supplant flash in favor of native video support in HTML5 based on open standards that wouldn't require any kind of plugin to work.

• Members

On my list of fantasy/GAS items is a wireless controller for DAW usage. Granted, the iPad costs more than twice as much as, say, a Frontier Design Tranzport, but there are a number of iPhone apps that can be adapted to the iPad that do similar jobs, such as the Far Out Labs Pro Remote and Pro Transport.

• Members

- a telephone
:D

You *could* probably use it as a phone through VoIP or something, although you'd look kind of silly holding a big slab up to your face. I think everyone was waiting for a forward facing camera for using it for video iChat... maybe in the 2nd generation version.

• Members

On my list of fantasy/GAS items is a wireless controller for DAW usage. Granted, the iPad costs more than twice as much as, say, a Frontier Design Tranzport, but there are a number of iPhone apps that can be adapted to the iPad that do similar jobs, such as the Far Out Labs Pro Remote and Pro Transport.

A great remote for Logic - using your paws to adjust faders and other controls - is my #1 wishlist for this thing.

• Members

Good point. The iPad's multitouch screen has the potential to make this device a big hit with the DAW controller crowd.

The example below doesn't use multitouch, but it's a start:

http://gizmodo.com/332324/proremote-pro-tools-controller-may-be-coolest-iphone-app-ever-updated

Best,

Geoff

Archived