Alright you gigging guys - which straplocks and why?

rog951

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i had some 1 1/4" rubber washers with a little 1/4" hole in the middle that I got from home depot that work great with standard strap buttons.

Well sure, they're way cheaper from Home Depot, but they're way tastier attached to one of these ....Grolsch%20Cap.jpg

And I've seen them on other beers ... In OTHER COLORS .... y'know in case you gotta go all color co-ordinated and everything ...

• Members

I prefer the schallers mostly out of cosmetic purposes. Yes there are others, but the two most common are dunlop and schallers, I don't like the way the dunlop straplocks stick out from the guitar, it makes me nervouse that the screw is being stressed additionally in the wood because of the angle.

The schallers don't worry me that way. I'm devoted to straplocks, but not entirely to brand. If I see something better, I'll probably try them down the road. I'm kind of interested in the ernie ball ones.

• Members

Most guitars I've witnessed falling were BECAUSE OF failing strap locks, NOT because there weren't any installed. I think they provide a false sense of security.

Every time I've ever dropped a guitar was before I installed straplocks. I haven't dropped a guitar with straplocks installed since.

I tend to have a preference towards Schaller's straplocks. As long as you make sure that the strap part of the lock is on the strap really tight when you install it then you should be golden (especially if they're gold straplocks). LOL

I have one guitar with Dunlops on it and I'm really not a fan.

• Members

i go to my local true value hardware store and get a rubber flat washer with slightly larger diameter than a quarter with a inner hole that will just fit over the strap peg with slight stretching. once that is in place over the strap i put a small round o-ring, again just slightly stretch to get over the strap peg. never comes loose.

• Members

I go to the hardware store and bring one of the strap buttons. I then look for a metal washer that fits over the small end of the button, but not the large end. After you find one, just slip it on and reinstall your strap buttons with your strap ends under the washer. It works great and it costs literally pennies.:wave:

• Members

Look at the slots on strap. You only need just over 1/4 inch to get the strap onto the button from the rear. punch or drill 2 small holes about 1/2 way up on either side of strapholes. Useing needle and sturdy thread, sew many times from these two punched holes. Which of course makes the strap hole much smaller. When all done with sewing. Snip the excess end thread off with scissors. And dab the thread with elmers glue. Unscrew guitars strap buttons. Replace them with nice extra wide (1/2 inch or so) strap buttons. Load the strap slots onto the new strap buttons from their rear end. Screw strap buttons back onto guitar. All done. Strap cannot come of the strap buttons yet rotate quite freely around it. You put your guitar on and take it off overhead. Like tshirt, rather then taking either end of strap off. Which now cant be done without removing the strap button from the guitar. And taking strap off strap button from its rear end (narrow guitar side).

I've also done simple way of just taking large drill bit and punching 1/4 hole into strap in new loacations. No sewing required then. Just load small hole thru strapbuttons back. And rescrew strap into guitar.

• Members
After having an old strap fail on me, I use Planet Waves Locking Straps.

I've had strap ends slip off hundreds of times in my 35+ years of gigging and playing and have never had a guitar hit the floor yet. I have seen guitars hit the floor due to straplocks failing. I'd prefer to not have that false sense of security in my head. Never use them.

• Members
Every time I've ever dropped a guitar was before I installed straplocks. I haven't dropped a guitar with straplocks installed since.

I tend to have a preference towards Schaller's straplocks. As long as you make sure that the strap part of the lock is on the strap really tight when you install it then you should be golden (especially if they're gold straplocks). LOL

I have one guitar with Dunlops on it and I'm really not a fan.

your guitar hit the floor just because the strap came off?

• Members

my buddy and I have both used Dunlops for over 10 years and never a failure. Plus, they look more like regular buttons and should you lose or forget your straplock equipped strap, you can always use a normal strap like you would on normal buttons.

• Members

Not my pic but this is why:

MB4L0003.jpg

Seriously, I've seen more than a bunch of people drop their guitars while playing live and that's reason enough to install and use them. I never found that the guitar hung any differently with straplocks than without them. Never had them squeak but a little WD40 should solve that problem real quick.

FYI, WD-40 is not a lubricant. WD stands for water dispersant. What would be better would be a dry type lubricant.

• Members

I don't like strap locks. I've had Schaller's come apart on me. A couple years ago I picked up several locking straps. I don't see this style around anymore but they have a slide on opening and a button down piece that pulls the button tightly into the slot. They work great for me.

• Members

Thanks for all the replies you guys! Seems like I'll probably just try to find a way to make my Shallers work for me. Definitely the cheapest option since I've got 4-5 sets here already. Pretty sure I tried WD-40 back in the day for the squeaking, but the squeak came back quickly. I've got silicone spray here now...I'll give that a shot.

The Grolsh gasket idea is also intriguing. I'll definitely mess around with that!

• Members

Thanks for all the replies you guys! Seems like I'll probably just try to find a way to make my Shallers work for me. Definitely the cheapest option since I've got 4-5 sets here already. Pretty sure I tried WD-40 back in the day for the squeaking, but the squeak came back quickly. I've got silicone spray here now...I'll give that a shot.

The Grolsh gasket idea is also intriguing. I'll definitely mess around with that!

You probably want to use dry graphite.

• Members

You probably want to use dry graphite.

I've got some nut lube around that's graphite...I'll try that, thanks!

Why not the silicone though? It's slippery as hell! I'd be applying it with a swab or something. Too dangerous getting it near the guitar finish I guess?

• Members

Just a quick tip for those complaining about thier straplocks coming apart (I'm assuming you mean unscrewing on the strap).

Just put some titeloc on the threads. It's a few bucks and will be enough to do about 200 guitars, you just need a drop or two, but it works great.

• Members

i have been playing 30 years and have never dropped a guitar - straplocks or not. But I tend to not jump up and down with my hands in the air when I am playing. When I am playing, I tend to be holding on to the neck.

I have a metal washer on one guitar. I put a piece of electrical tape on it so that it doesn't rattle. The little foam donut that comes with a CD spindle is also handy for damping that rattle.

• Members

I've got some nut lube around that's graphite...I'll try that, thanks!

Why not the silicone though? It's slippery as hell! I'd be applying it with a swab or something. Too dangerous getting it near the guitar finish I guess?

Yes, and petroleum products have dust and grit attach themselves very easily to any surface where it's applied.

Archived