Alright you gigging guys - which straplocks and why?

rog951

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anybody knows about the strap locks that do not required installation... they are like a long plastic clip to go over the strap - I have seen them in here before, but never got to find out the name, price, or where to buy them...

:idk:

anybody?

Thanks!

I think they are also made by planet waves? Don't use them, they are crap. They will simply start popping out at some point.

Again- I simply sew the strap tight on to the guitar and have no issues ever again.

• Members

if you're not fussed about removing your strap to change to other guitars or whatever then you could do what i do which is just put a big washer on the end of the strap pin then put the strap on then screw through the whole lot.

like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GUITAR-STRAP-LOCKS-BasikLoc-designed-to-save-your-neck_W0QQitemZ170459968784QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item27b034b510#ht_595wt_1165

although i got some from the diy shop for about 10p each!

• Members

I have a couple of these:

SL1S_sm_.jpg

Usually I just make 'em out of old credit card plastic though, most often not actual cards but the fake ones they send you to sign up.

How do you do them? any template by any chance that you could share???

Thanks!

• Members

I think the keyword is "gigging".People just standing around their house may not need straplocks as bad. I personally HAVE had the planet waves straps {censored} up and leave the marks on my guitar. I do use and prefer schallers, but I've had the nut come undone and ALMOST dropped my guitar at a gig. Now I put locktight around the screw on the schaller and have had no issues .

It never hurts to check the nut every once in a while either. It's part of my setup to make sure it is lugged down as much as possible when setting them up for the night.

• Members

It never hurts to check the nut every once in a while either. It's part of my setup to make sure it is lugged down as much as possible when setting them up for the night.

Yea, I did and they still worked loose.Locktight solved that tho.

• Members

I use Schallers generally, coz they work well as long as you check 'em occasionally.

I also sometimes just use rubber washers too.

I tried those plastic twisty ones, but they always break, or the 2 halves pop apart.

:thu:

ok... good to know...

one thing, though...

I remember seeing somebody having like a leather strap lock... he will wrap it around or something... was I dreaming that?

• Members

How do you do them? any template by any chance that you could share???

Thanks!

I can describe it I guess. First I cut a disk out of the credit card plastic. I don't know the diameter, I usually grab something like a plastic spice shaker (like the McCormick brand small size that say cumin or white pepper comes in) and use that to draw a circle on the credit card. Maybe an inch and half across. Once the circle is drawn, cut out the disk with a scissors.

Once I have a plastic disk, I get a scissors and basically stab into the center of the disk, usually on a carpeted floor at first, and twist the disk around to get a hole started. Once there is a small hole, I cut a straight line out towards the outside of the disk from the center hole, on 2 sides of the hole. Try not to get too close to the outside edge of the circle though.

So, the center hole with the cuts looks like this:

-O-

Next all you gotta do is wrassle the strap peg (with the strap on of course) over the disk. If you're really paranoid about it holding, you can put black electrical tape over the disk at right angles to the center cut line, but I rarely do that.

Eventually these things will break after a long period of time or really rough treatment, but I just visually inspect them with a glance each time I suit up. Lemme see if I have any pics of the guitars that at least show the size.

Here, this isn't a very good pic, but you can see one of the homemade locks on the upper horn:

64187965_109d547812_o.jpg

• Members

I can describe it I guess. First I cut a disk out of the credit card plastic. I don't know the diameter, I usually grab something like a plastic spice shaker (like the McCormick brand small size that say cumin or white pepper comes in) and use that to draw a circle on the credit card. Maybe an inch and half across. Once the circle is drawn, cut out the disk with a scissors.

Once I have a plastic disk, I get a scissors and basically stab into the center of the disk, usually on a carpeted floor at first, and twist the disk around to get a hole started. Once there is a small hole, I cut a straight line out towards the outside of the disk from the center hole, on 2 sides of the hole. Try not to get too close to the outside edge of the circle though.

So, the center hole with the cuts looks like this:

-O-

Next all you gotta do is wrassle the strap peg (with the strap on of course) over the disk. If you're really paranoid about it holding, you can put black electrical tape over the disk at right angles to the center cut line, but I rarely do that.

Eventually these things will break after a long period of time or really rough treatment, but I just visually inspect them with a glance each time I suit up. Lemme see if I have any pics of the guitars that at least show the size.

Here, this isn't a very good pic, but you can see one of the homemade locks on the upper horn:

64187965_109d547812_o.jpg

Thanks a lot!!!

I will try that tonight!

:wave:

• Members

Dunlop Straplocks

large__331031.jpg

I got into them because I WORE THROUGH Schallers on my LP and this was just the best option I could find. Pretty readily available in the area here - which is a big plus. Mostly a Tele guy now, and while I don't really need them on my Teles because of the angle of the strap button near the neck... it's out of habit that they just go on all my guitars.

• Members

Thanks a lot!!!

I will try that tonight!

:wave:

You're welcome.

Good luck. Like I said, they will fail eventually. But as long as you don't get idiotic like chucking the guitar around your head or something, and regularly check what shape the disk is in, I've never had one fail unexpectedly. If the center line cut starts to widen or the disk otherwise starts to buckle or lose its shape, just cut if off and make a new one.

Archived