Alright you gigging guys - which straplocks and why?

rog951

• Members

Back when I was gigging (in the '90s) I bought a bunch of Shaller straplocks, but I was never 100% comfortable with them. They always seemed plenty secure, but there was something about the way the guitar was hanging that I didn't like. Plus, they squeak like hell which is annoying for unplugged practice. So, now it looks like I might be playing out again a bit and I just wanted to take a quick survey to see what you guys were using and why. Ideas?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not my pic but this is why:

MB4L0003.jpg

Seriously, I've seen more than a bunch of people drop their guitars while playing live and that's reason enough to install and use them. I never found that the guitar hung any differently with straplocks than without them. Never had them squeak but a little WD40 should solve that problem real quick.

• Members

Dimarzio Clip Lock straps.

Foolproof and fail proof. I've used them since the mid eighties (I still use the first one I ever bought) and have never had a problem. I have had Schallers and Dunlops fail.

Thanks Pete, but I have an old clip-lock setup and I really dislike having the ends still attached to the guitar and flopping around when the strap is removed. I was always afraid one of the ends whould whip around and ding the guitar or something. Though I'm sure it's something that could be easily avoided by being extra careful...I just know how I am and "careful" isn't it! :lol:

• Members

Thanks Pete, but I have an old clip-lock setup and I really dislike having the ends still attached to the guitar and flopping around when the strap is removed. I was always afraid one of the ends whould whip around and ding the guitar or something. Though I'm sure it's something that could be easily avoided by being extra careful...I just know how I am and "careful" isn't it!
:lol:

I've never had that happen in 25 years.

• Members

Most guitars I've witnessed falling were BECAUSE OF failing strap locks, NOT because there weren't any installed. I think they provide a false sense of security.

I had the opposite experience...I've never witnessed a straplock fail but I've almost dropped a guitar MANY times, like hundreds of times, because of the strap popping off the factory endpin. I've been lucky that rarely has one gotten all the way to the floor, and even luckier that none of the few that did get there broke. At any rate, I'll only be using the straplock for an extra measure of security...I'm not likely to be flinging the guitar around too much.

• Members

Most guitars I've witnessed falling were BECAUSE OF failing strap locks, NOT because there weren't any installed. I think they provide a false sense of security.

In 25 years, I've never had a strap lock fail.

I've had the strap slip off of the button several times when not using strap locks. Luckily, I was always able to grab it before it hit the floor.

Now, if I'm going to be playing the guitar live, it's getting strap locks.

• Members
I've never had that happen in 25 years.

I'm sure it's fine, but I was just always concerned...especially when carrying around the guitars in their cases: I envision the plastic ends pressed against the guitar finish and just grinding away with every step I take!

• Members

I'm sure it's fine, but I was just always concerned...especially when carrying around the guitars in their cases: I envision the plastic ends pressed against the guitar finish and just grinding away with every step I take!

I think the keyword is "gigging".People just standing around their house may not need straplocks as bad. I personally HAVE had the planet waves straps {censored} up and leave the marks on my guitar. I do use and prefer schallers, but I've had the nut come undone and ALMOST dropped my guitar at a gig. Now I put locktight around the screw on the schaller and have had no issues .

• Members

I think the keyword is "gigging".People just standing around their house may not need straplocks as bad. I personally HAVE had the planet waves straps {censored} up and leave the marks on my guitar. I do use and prefer schallers, but I've had the nut come undone and ALMOST dropped my guitar at a gig. Now I put locktight around the screw on the schaller and have had no issues .

You bring up a good point.

Schallers need to really be cranked down on the strap ends, and locktight is not a bad idea. Also, the threads are short enough that if you use really thick leather or suede straps, it's tough to get the nut started on them.

I still prefer their design to Dunlops, though.

• Members

You bring up a good point.

Schallers need to really be cranked down on the strap ends, and locktight is not a bad idea. Also, the threads are short enough that if you use really thick leather or suede straps, it's tough to get them nut started on them.

Exactly, my straps are thick leather and you're right, that doesn't leave alot of threads left.

• Members

Beware of the Marvels. I bought 5 sets and one of them is starting to flake out on me. I don't gig and I play sitting about 90% of the time. Looks like the metal that they are made out of is pretty cheap and it's starting to either wear a bit or the capture portion isn't strong enough. Bottom line is that I can slide the damn thing off without releasing it. It doesn't fall right off, but for something that is supposed to be strong enough to tow a truck I can pull it off with two fingers and a slight wiggle.

I love the design and the price is right, but if I was out there gigging I wouldn't put them on a damn thing worth more than $12.

• Members

Anybody knows about the strap locks that do not required installation... they are like a long plastic clip to go over the strap - I have seen them in here before, but never got to find out the name, price, or where to buy them...

:idk:

anybody?

Thanks!

Archived