Show Me Your Offsets (Jazzmasters,Jags,Mustangs,Jagstangs etc)

Johansolo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ive decided this is pretty much what i want. except i already have 2 many black guitars...so the white one with red torty pickguard is in my sights.

i have joined up on offsetguitars...diffrent user name but yeah...its gonna escalate my gas me thinks.

• Members

For those of you who have owned both or have ever had to decide between a Jazzmaster and a Jaguar, what ended up pushing you one way or the other? Deciding myself right now. I love the look of the Jazzmaster, especially the '59-esque gold pickguard on blonde body, but the feel of the smaller scale and brighter tone of the Jaguar. Arg!

• Members

For those of you who have owned both or have ever had to decide between a Jazzmaster and a Jaguar, what ended up pushing you one way or the other? Deciding myself right now. I love the look of the Jazzmaster, especially the '59-esque gold pickguard on blonde body, but the feel of the smaller scale and brighter tone of the Jaguar. Arg!

this is what im debating...the look the same (to an extent) but there are enough differences to make a big diffrence in the overall sound/feel.

im only leaning more towards the jazzmaster as i want some soapbar goodness plus ima comfortable with the 25.5 scale

but the jags,jagstangs, jagmasters etc all look so goddamn sexy as well...

jeez ive come full circle...if i could see myself 15 years ago..id be like...wtf?

• Members

I've owned both and I'm just more of a Jazzmaster guy. Jags feel kinda small on me and I actually prefer the warm growl you can get out of a good Jazzy. Sounds like Jags might be the way to go for you, though!

Speaking of, I forgot to post these here. I forget about the Jag easily because it just wasn't around for long. :) The Grosh was pretty sweet, though.

j001.jpg

EJStdSonic_new1.jpg

edit: I also like to drop tune with my current band, which sounds like a wet fart on a short-scale guitar.

• Members

Thanks for the replies!

I'm headed to Chicago Music Exchange on Wednesday to play a bunch and make my final decision. If I go Jaguar, I'll be ordering a very special one online. If I decide Jazzmaster, I'm going to debate spending a little bit more on another very special, very limited guitar.

Also, how do y'all feel about the famous bridge debate? Should I have a Mustang bridge ready for whatever I buy? I had threaded steel saddles on a '62 Tele RI and had no issues, but there wasn't a trem on that.

• Members

Thanks for the replies!

I'm headed to Chicago Music Exchange on Wednesday to play a bunch and make my final decision. If I go Jaguar, I'll be ordering a very special one online. If I decide Jazzmaster, I'm going to debate spending a little bit more on another very special, very limited guitar.

Also, how do y'all feel about the famous bridge debate? Should I have a Mustang bridge ready for whatever I buy? I had threaded steel saddles on a '62 Tele RI and had no issues, but there wasn't a trem on that.

The stock trem will work perfectly fine with heavy strings and a good setup, and a Mustang bridge (or Warmoth-modified) will let you go down in string gauge while retaining the floating-bridge magic. In my opinion, the Mastery is kind of a ripoff. $160 for a bridge that functions like a tune-o-matic or two-saddle Telecaster bridge? The cult members will tell you otherwise, but I'll pass.

• Members
this is what im debating...the look the same (to an extent) but there are enough differences to make a big diffrence in the overall sound/feel.

im only leaning more towards the jazzmaster as i want some soapbar goodness plus ima comfortable with the 25.5 scale

but the jags,jagstangs, jagmasters etc all look so goddamn sexy as well...

jeez ive come full circle...if i could see myself 15 years ago..id be like...wtf?

The only thing, is that the Jazzy's pickup is not a P90-type. The pickups have shallow coils. They really don't sound like P90s.

Curtis Novak repro of a '63 Jazzmaster pickup
jm-v.jpg

• Members
Thanks for the replies!

You can do that, but IMO, one of the best things you can do, is go to 11s, or if you can handle them, 12s. I have 12s on my Jag, and it made a world of difference. The Jazzmaster/Jaguar bridge was designed for heavier gauge strings. It was never meant to be used with the .009 rubber bands so many players insist upon using, so they can do da blooz bends.

Good luck at CME. I tried out a CP Jazzmaster there last year. It was a blast playing it through a cranked Orange Rockerverb 100, in one of the small demo rooms they have located in the central part of the store. I just have two downers about the place: I wish they were willing to haggle a bit more on price; and parking sucks where it's located.

OH! Before I forget, here's my 2009 MIJ '66 Jaguar Reissue:

NewGuitarDay-Feb162010.jpg

I don't mind Jazzmasters, but I like the way Jaguars snarl, when you turn them up. :thu:

Archived