Ugliest Production Guitar on the Planet?

caveman

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was certainly the first hair metal guitar, it was so tacky and cheesy, it predated the Kramers and Charvels!

How do you figure?

What "hair metal" bands were using falcons? And you'd better not say the cult, cause they weren't anywhere near hair metal.

• Members

How do you figure?

What "hair metal" bands were using falcons? And you'd better not say the cult, cause they weren't anywhere near hair metal.

No, it's just so tacky, and cheesy, and just look at it!

It's beautiful yeah, but it's so glamorous and pretty boy ish!

It's like the guitar equivilant of a meterosexual man.

• Members
Nothing says "insufferable douchebag" like paying extra for a guitar with fake rust and pitting on the bridge.

Letssee....

1)Drove to "jam" in Hummer___check
2)Wearing Affliction {censored}____check
3)Playing relic Tele____check

:facepalm:
:lol:

• Members
Like my avatar isn't a dead giveaway.

But this guy is my actual inspiration;

denisdamour.jpg

While I'll agree that the, "Born to Rock", F4c guitar is ugly, I like the design's non-stressed neck.

If only someone could use that idea in a more attractive package.

• Members

Barf. Nothing says "insufferable douchebag" like paying extra for a guitar with fake rust and pitting on the bridge.

I thought nothing said douchebag like judging other musicians like a pretentious ass.

• Members

You mean like you're doing now?

I fail to see how calling someone out for being pretentious, is being pretentious. I don't care what people play. Personally I don't like yellow guitars but I'm not going to belittle someone over an aesthetic choice. It's childish.

• Members
I think I worded my original post wrong.

I meant to ask if you mounted the pickup to the pickup to the pickguard in a normal fashion (i.e. -- screws through the metal pickguard down to the pickup with springs providing opposing force against the bottom of the metal pickguard).

Is there a significantly large area around the pickup cutout where no body wood comes in contact with the bottom side of the metal pickguard (think "swimming pool route" on some Strats)? If so, you could be experiencing a "canopy" effect, where that part of metal pickguard is sympathetically vibrating with body -- this would not be good if it is.

Even if you don't have a huge route below the pickguard, the metal springs and screws holding a floating pickup under a metal pickguard is enough to cause mechanical / acoustic problems. If you are using springs on the pickup mounting screws, you should strongly consider replacing both springs with short pieces of vinyl tubing. Vinyl tubing is a common alternative to using pickup mount springs. Cut to the correct length, the vinyl tubing squashes a little as the pickup height is adjusted upwards towards the strings and provides opposing force like a spring, but will absorb most of the vibrations coming through the pickguard. You also need to place a small piece of foam between the bottom of the pickup and the body surface in the route below the mounted pickup to keep the pickup from moving and aim it precisely at the strings. All of these fixes will keep the pickup from being rattled around by the metal pickguard when you play.

Yes to the large 'swimming pool' route, and yes, pickup is attached via springs and screws. May look into the tubing thing at some point, see if there's a noticable difference. :thu:

Archived