for CORK SNIFFERS who say touring musicians never play cheapies

roygbiv

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I dunno, I have never considered Epiphone as a cheapy though. Some Epis cost quite a bit and are really good guitars.
:idk:

agreed. even the standard lp's are pretty great, just if i had one i'd switch the pups out.

• Members

lol, sounds like me.

My next guitar, I'm pretty sure, will be a CV 50's Tele, and my amp is a valveking 212. But I think when i can, I'm going to buy a Fender Super Champ XD.

I have the 1x12 Valveking and the SUper Champ XD. I run the Champ through a 2x12 and it sounds awesome.

• Members

I haven't heard of that group before, and now I am compelled to check them out.
I really like that tone. Its got enough grit to be aggressive, but it doesn't drown the clean lead guitar. That combination sounds a lot more interesting to me than the typical cleaner rhythm + more overdriven lead.
reminds me of Obits
[YOUTUBE]lsPZIlG8Sig[/YOUTUBE]
Also, this whole forum loves cheap guitars, especially the Squier CV. You're preaching to the choir.

• Members

Horay! the famous artist likes your guitar! It must make you feel so very special :)

(note for all of you who read above the 6th grade level: I have dumbed down the above post so that those whose gear choices are affirmed by what some flash in the pan artist plays can understand what I am saying)

• Members
Horay! the famous artist likes your guitar! It must make you feel so very special
:)

(note for all of you who read above the 6th grade level: I have dumbed down the above post so that those whose gear choices are affirmed by what some flash in the pan artist plays can understand what I am saying)

That was not the point of the OP, and it has not been a point argued at any time in this thread.

(note for all of you who are not threatened by people who do not try to compensate for the size of their inferior weener by posting nonsense on internet message boards: I have made the above point quite plain so that there is no further temptation for the "my gear is an extension of my sexual virility" to post such things.)

• Members
Horay! the famous artist likes your guitar! It must make you feel so very special
:)

yep.

It always seems like it's about validation with the cheap crowd.

• Members

yep.

It always seems like it's about validation with the cheap crowd.

There are good folks on both sides of the issue. What's being addressed here is the "only real/serious musicians play expensive gear" crowd, which I believe is not a majority of people that like high-end gear. The argument usually goes, "if cheaper gear was that good you would see real touring musicians playing it."

The flip side of the coin is those that buy a guitar for $199 and claim it is better than Gibson/Fender Custom Shop stuff. The lunacy of such a statement is apparent to all except those that make it.

• Members

honestly, i don't really care about that band (can't even remember their name!) and it's not something i'll ever listen to again.

but i can't help but notice that they are playing their crappy garage rock chords on David Letterman.

and you aren't.

just sayin...

And that means, what exactly? That they have label backing? We all know that's the mark of talent.

Has it not occurred to anyone that he may have used that guitar SPECIFICALLY FOR that television appearance? Product placement never happens in music...

• Members

Musicians don't really care. Players don't really care. Posers care. Guitar OWNERS care. Those that see guitars as investments care.

Electric Guitars are wood, plastic, steel, magnets, and wire. making a "serviceable" instrument isn't that difficult. Making one that plays pretty well and stays in tune requires more skill. Making one that is a work of the luthiers art and feels like a fine instrument takes craftsmanship and patience and the artists touch. We have progressed to the point where $200 guitars from China are beyond the "serviceable" point and are pretty damn nice for the $$$. If you can't turn in a halfway decent performance on one of these Squiers or downmarket guitars, you should probably get back to practicing. :idk:

• Members

The other night, I saw a guitarist playing a gorgeous Les Paul. When I finally paid attention to the headstock, I realized it was an Epi. To buy a Gibson that looked that nice would have cost $5K, easy. He'd have to constantly worry about damaging it or having it stolen. Sure there are differences, but I didn't think the guy was cheap; I thought he was smart.

P.S. It sounded great, too.

Archived