Used DRRI or brand new Hot Rod Deluxe?

elsupermanny14

• Members

What would be the better option? You can get a used DRRI for about the same price as a brand new Hot Rod Deluxe? So which one is better? Which one is a more versatile amp?

I like the effects the DRRI has but I like the dirty channel on the Hot Rod Deluxe. What do you guys think?

• Members

The drive channel on the HRD is no good, so you're gonna want OD pedals anyway. DRRI is more compact, better cleans, perfect size (a bit less loud than the HRD and that's a good thing!), better verb, and trem. And it's used so you don't eat the depreciation if you sell it.

• Members

The drive channel on the HRD is no good, so you're gonna want OD pedals anyway. DRRI is more compact, better cleans, perfect size (a bit less loud than the HRD and that's a good thing!), better verb, and trem. And it's used so you don't eat the depreciation if you sell it.

With two mods the cleans on a new HRDx can sound just as good, if not better honestly.

Change the speaker (cause the stock one is {censored}) and swap out the volume pot for an audio tapered pot and you're good to go.

I personally love my HRDx, but I've heavily modified it. and you can snag them for about the same price if you're willing to bargain a bit.

• Members

DRRI, and for the reasons listed above. A stock HRDx is decent. A stock DRRI is much better. To get the HRDx on the same level as the DRRI you'll have to change the speaker and do a volume mod (or run a volume pedal or volume box in the loop).

The only caveat here is if you play with a lot of gain a lot of the time. Then, the Hot Rod would work better. You would need pedals for this as the "more gain" setting is terrible beyond awful.

• Members

I'm not a big fan of either of those amps. You haven't said what you want to use it for, but for the money, there are better amps out there IMHO. The HRD and DRRI are pretty different amps that don't really compare directly.

• Members

I have a DRRI that I bought new and a HRD that I bought used. I have no liking for the drive channel on either one and get way better distortion/OD from pedals. Both have the same great clean sides, the HRD has twice the crap in the dirty side.

Holy crap I guess I had a senior citizen moment and confused DRRI with BDRI. :facepalm:

• Members

I had a HRD that I liked a lot. I did have to replace the speaker and install a Weber Beam Blocker to get it that way though. And despite that, I didn't like the weight, the drive channels, or the twitchy volume control. I loved the cleans, and it took dirt pedals great.

• Members

Of the two choices, DRRI.

But really, C: none of the above. If you're not opposed to used a used HRD at $400 is a good buy. Available at that price all the time.

That's the thing. It's so much cheaper than a DRRI - if you're willing to put up with the quibbles.

Archived