WORST RAP SONG EVER???

John Bartus

• Members

Ok - so I've resisted posting in this thread.

Rap music IMO is the result of the US administration deciding to reduce the education department funding of music.( Reagan years)

Do you remember when each high school had it's school big band where students learnt all those fuzzy instruments like Sax and Trombone?

All gone - all we get is computer generated RAP.

Those are some sweeping statements... there are many rap artists who play their own instruments and compose their own work. The reason why you don't see them everywhere is because their music requires a bit of thought, and isn't about the typical "bitches and hoes and bling bling" like what you see in the main stream and top 40.

I say again...

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiOcVWQY2bc

This is the rap that true hip-hop/rap fans enjoy. If that's "revenge"? Then revenge is sweet. K-OS is an extremely talented musician and producer. He could easily sell out for millions and make horrible crap "UHH UHH YEAH BITCHES N HOOOOES" but he doesn't. He makes a comfortable living, stays Canadian, and he's happy with that.

Only ignorant people can dare judge an entire genre based on the crap like Soulja Boy.

• Members

Rap music IMO is the result of the US administration deciding to reduce the education department funding of music.( Reagan years)

Do you remember when each high school had it's school big band where students learnt all those fuzzy instruments like Sax and Trombone?

:lol:

What a strange viewpoint!

So the schools no longer provided horns but there was no problem accessing computers, beat boxes and ghetto blasters!

If you'd really like to know where rap/hip hop comes from, spend a few days just south/west of downtown Chicago, north of Manhattan or east of downtown L.A.

• Members

He got angry with Weird Al when Al did his version
:D
This is another one I actually like.

Yeah that's a funny story and that Amish Paradise is a hilarious song/video.

I think I've read, or heard, that the original Coolio song is based on a Stevie Wonder song about a bar.

• Members

All my bets are on you departing this world before Rap... You may not like it, but it is definitely here to stay.

just sayin'

Your probably right. I have a degenerative condition, that in a few years will make you win the bet. Dont feel bad for the comment, you didnt know. I've come to terms with it.

• Members

Your probably right. I have a degenerative condition, that in a few years will make you win the bet. Dont feel bad for the comment, you didnt know. I've come to terms with it.

My post was supposed to be inclusive and say 'you and I...'

Which might have mitigated my comment a bit, but not much.

I am sorry to hear of your situation and

My prayers, and and much Mojo are sent to you.

Luke

• Members

Cmon, this a pretty narrow minded thread.

There is some great rap and there is some bad. Just like any genre of music.

You're right, of course. But we've seen this before.

It's just like parents disliking their kids listening to heavy metal.

It's just like parents disliking that floppy-haired boy band on the Ed Sullivan show.

It's just like parents disliking that horrible Elvis and his swiveling hips.

We'll just summarily dismiss an entire genre of music because we don't understand it/dislike what little we hear/think the latest generation are stupid, not like the previous ones/haven't listened to any new genres of music in decades/like to make snap judgments/other.

• Members

Well, I think the simultaneous emergence of both punk and rap, whose proponents boldly and unequivocally rejected the established aesthetic, says more about the stultification and lack of creativity that dominated the pop charts in the 70s.

Also, at that time, education budgets -- at least around here (Cali) were still pretty well funded.

That was, of course, before the so-called Prop 13 'revolution' that saw education budgets slashed into the bone -- followed by a huge expansion of prison building and natural explosion in jail and prison populations -- since nature abhors a vacuum and the prison guard's union, at the time the most powerful union in California, decided they needed to float the now-infamous 3 strikes -- you're out law that ended up sending 2 time losers up for life for third crimes like stealing pizza and food.

(The 3 strike law is still on the books and many prosecutors still automatically apply it to virtually every case they can and, guess what, all those prisons are now so over-packed and the prisoners so shabbily provided for in those shiny and very expensive and very expensively staffed new prisons that much of the jail and prison system around the state is under Federal supervision of one form or another, mostly related to bad health care, but also as a result of things like prison guards setting up death match fights between inmates, betting on them, and then often shooting the winner. Since all the prisons are typically built in remote areas where they are the only real employers, the juries on those rare occasions when guards are prosecuted virtually always acquit them. It's really charming.)

In the mid-70s, people I knew felt deeply alienated from the music you heard on the radio, stuff like Boston, and Kansas, and Toto, et al.

As the music got slicker and more dependent on expensive synths and guitar rigs and robotics, people I just didn't care about it, didn't identify with the people making the music, didn't respect them, and did not want to be anything like them.

So, seems to me, you ended up in rap and punk with a sort of musical street rabble revolution driven from the kids on up.

Of course, it didn't reach everyone. A lot of musicians had so heavily invested themselves and their pocketbooks in making that big budget music -- and they were so good at it -- that they had no reason to look for anything new.

I well remember around '80 when the second wave of punk/new music was finally starting to translate into sales and all of a sudden there were all these dudes with fluffy layered hair and funny looking clothes and these huge drum kits and big guitar rigs and ludicrous keyboard racks looking desperately to join a new music band.

At one point me and my then-bandmates were auditioning new drummers and this one guy had assured me he was into new music and punk and then when we got there we knew instantly, even before he uttered the howler that cracked us up the whole way home: "I'm really into punk. I love the Missing Persons." :D

• Members

Well, not really. Take a look at my the two videos I posted.

Especially the Roots. Extremely talented.

Either way, music is music no matter how you make it, it takes creativity and talent. You have to learn to appreciate more than just one form of it.

Archived