Talk Me Out Of Buying A Strat!

burton4snow

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"And a Strat with humbuckers is not a Strat." amen brother

Imagine if somehow strats had never existed until they were released this year. Everyone would be wetting their pants over the new perfect guitar. I guess it is true that familiarity breeds contempt. I recently got a squier 50's cv and it is a joy. Cheap too. Oh, need that maple neck, by the way.... I like it better than the American strat I had that got stolen back in the 80's...

Teles are close cousins, which may be fine for redneck relations....

Do your homework and go get one! WTF

• Members

Advice - If you're not sure about a strat, just take your time to be sure you pick a good one. I've amassed 9 of them + a Showmaster and I'd say only about 3 of them are worthy "stand outs" for me.

I don't like sharp and shallow, I like a vowel-like resonance out of them. And then with the right pickups you can catch the particular flavor you're looking for, whether it's surf, Hendrix, or more "universal".

My faves are an Eric Johnson, '50s Classic, and an American Series Deluxe (Alder)

If I had it to do all over again, I might have just got one or two Custom Shop models and called it good.

I hear very good things about the Road Worn series from my 28 yo Stepson and that boy has a good ear and good chops. He was in the finals of a GC Blues Playoff.

Some folks don't like the '50s Classic, but the one I got is a real winner. Can't quite say the same for my Jimmie Vaughan which has been quite popular here. But sometimes it's just a matter of the pick of the litter. The same p'ups are in the RW Strat, but my Stepson says it's hard to believe they both have the same p'ups because the RW sounds so much better to him.

Archived