Talk Me Out Of Buying A Strat!

burton4snow

• Members

I have about every type of guitar except a Strat. Humbuckers, P-90s, Lipstick, Semi Hollow, Hollow, Tele. What am I missing by not having a

Strat? The one I am looking at is a Fender Road Worn or should I spend 100 more and get the American Standard? Or do I not need a Strat? The fate of the Strat is in your hands!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Whats the blacktop wagon

Fender have a new line out called the blacktop series, they sorta sneaked in under the radar, all good reviews so far i believe, just from reading the posts on these here forums. You will more than likely find a thread or two, blacktop themed in the 1st couple of pages of this HCEG forum:thu:

• Members

You asked us to talk you OUT of it:

A. Read the GAS thread on page 1

B. Bear in mind that a tele can do most of what a strat can do.

C. Isn't there just a bit too much plastic going on there?

D. Floating bridge? Give me a break!

E. Hard tail? Might as well have got yourself a tele.

F. What the... this bridge pickup sounds a wee bit crappy. Gonna have to rewire it. Might as well have bought a tele.

G. God, these 6 dinky saddles really get on my nuts!

H. Quack? I want my guitar to sound like a guitar, rather than a species of water fowl.

I. Oh no, not ANOTHER strat.

• Members

:wave:

I bet you use a fish for taking off wheelnuts

J. Yes, there does seem to be a lot of plastic on the front. Let's turn it over... Blimey! There's even some on the back of the {censored}er!

K. I understand the strat is like the swiss army knife of guitars. So, where has the swiss army been deployed lately then?

L. It's going to make me look like Jimi H or Dave Gilmour, if i have the right clothes, or male pattern baldness. But it sure as hell 'aint going to make me sound like either of them.

• Moderators

J. Yes, there does seem to be a lot of plastic on the front. Let's turn it over... Blimey! There's even some on the back of the {censored}er!

K. I understand the strat is like the swiss army knife of guitars. So, where has the swiss army been deployed lately then?

L. It's going to make me look like Jimi H or Dave Gilmour, if i have the right clothes, or male pattern baldness. But it sure as hell 'aint going to make me sound like either of them.

58.gif

• Members

You asked us to talk you OUT of it:

A. Read the GAS thread on page 1

B. Bear in mind that a tele can do most of what a strat can do.

No quack in a tele.

C. Isn't there just a bit too much plastic going on there?

Strats look cool.

D. Floating bridge? Give me a break!

Love the natural reverb.

E. Hard tail? Might as well have got yourself a tele.

Never buy a hardtail strat.

F. What the... this bridge pickup sounds a wee bit crappy. Gonna have to rewire it. Might as well have bought a tele.

The bridge sucks on its own but combined with middle, great lead sounds.

G. God, these 6 dinky saddles really get on my nuts!

Very adjustable and easy to intonate.

H. Quack? I want my guitar to sound like a guitar, rather than a species of water fowl.

What?

I. Oh no, not ANOTHER strat.

I thought I would throw in some pros regarding a strat.

My only con for an american standard, which is what I would recommend, is the neck is too small for my giant mits. But that's just me...

• Members

The one I am looking at is a Fender Road Worn or
should I spend 100 more and get the American Standard
? Or do I not need a Strat? The fate of the Strat is in your hands!

Since you already own many different guitars, you know what you should do.

Get out there and play as many Strats as you can within your budget. Forget about the model, brand or place of origin. Your hands and ears will tell you which is the right one for you.

:thu:

• Members

There are just somethings a Strat can do no other guitar can. It's like the perfect woman: shapely, graceful, clean and polite but can get nasty and raunchy when you want it. She can purr or growl. She will allow you to change her to suit your needs and will never complain.

The bridge can really cut, and wiring for tone control for the bridge is a snap. The cleans on positions 2 and 4 are heaven. Play the neck pickup with some overdrive and you'll need to change pants. You like fuzz? A Strat and fuzz sound great. Same with overdrive, even full-on distortion.

She'll love you, comfort you, allow you to use and abuse her and she won't complain if you spend your time with the other ladies. The necks are comfortable, they are easily set up, and changing switches, pickups, etc. is a breeze.

You need a Strat. You are incomplete without a Strat. On your deathbed, as you are getting ready to cross over into the unknown, your life will have been a cold sham if you have not owned a Strat.

Check out the American Special, Highway One, Blacktop, and MIM Deluxe Strats - all fine guitars with good prices.

Archived