What do you like/dislike about swamp ash?

HELSTRUME

• Members

If a guitar sounds good and plays good, buy it. Who gives a flying {censored} what wood it's made from?

:thu:

A light of reason in the darkness.

Honestly, a lot of us say "X" wood is dark, bright, muddy, etc. but truth be told, I don't think most of us could tell them apart by just listening to a guitar played through an amp. We have a load of discussions over how many pieces the body is made from and the type of finish we prefer but dang we do exaggerate!

Could you say something like...

"Dang, I love that Strat but I can hear how poorly that three piece, Adler, body resonates! Good thing that poly finish tames the highs a bit."

:facepalm:

:lol:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly, a lot of us say "X" wood is dark, bright, muddy, etc. but truth be told, I don't think most of us could tell them apart by just listening to a guitar played through an amp. We have a load of discussions over how many pieces the body is made from and the type of finish we prefer but dang we do exaggerate!

"Dang, I love that Strat but I can hear how poorly that three piece, Adler body resonates! Good thing that poly finish tames the highs a bit."

"Dang, I love that.......... Do you mean you don't do that when you go to a concert?:):poke::)

• Members

If you have looked up swamp ash as a tonewood, the descriptions are accurate. Tight, punchy, scooped and articulate.

I love the sound if the correct pickups are chosen. Alnico II's work well because they are warmer.

All tonewoods like specific pickups, choose accordingly...

• Members

"Dang, I love that Strat but I can hear how poorly that three piece, Adler, body resonates! Good thing that poly finish tames the highs a bit."

Ash provides those desirable toasted wheat underpinnings in the upper mids:facepalm:

• Members

If you have looked up swamp ash as a tonewood, the descriptions are accurate. Tight, punchy, scooped and articulate.

I love the sound if the correct pickups are chosen. Alnico II's work well because they are warmer.

All tonewoods like specific pickups, choose accordingly...

this ^^^^^^^

i have a lite ash tele, with the alnico II's, VOX+OD1 :rawk:

i love my alder strat, had an alder tele too recently, but it just didnt sound right at all so it had to go. i pretty much play the tele 90% of the time, i just love the sound from it so much

ash, swamp ash, lite ash, who knows, choose which ever you like and stick to it :cool:

• Members

I built a swamp ash body strat recently. It's fine but no better than alder for sound. In this case it is
lighter.
It may actually give more of a thinline or chambered sound that heavier woods.

AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!

This is my biggest complaint about swamp ash. It's too mysterious. Inconsistent.

When shopping for my LP, I was oogling the Swamp Ash Studios, if they had a nice inlay, I might've gone that route, anyone got any info on that model???

• Members

I like swamp ash chambered with a cap, just check out what Jim Soloway has been doing with it.

Here is a recent experiment of mine for a lap steel, chambered swamp ash with a walnut cap. It has a custom 8 string BG A3 Rockwind "Tele" set in there and I could not be happier with the tone.

JYD-001-29.jpg

• Members

I'm tired of alder, and am not a fan of basswood. I'm looking at swamp ash, but have never played a guitar with it. I hear its midscooped? Throw me your opinons.

Hands down Swamp ash is my absolute favorite guitar body material.

Fantastic tone and sustain.

Maybe the only downside is that it is really heavy but it sounds so good

• Members

Gee, you guys must be delusional. Don't you know that you can't hear the difference amoung different types of body wood? There was a big long thread not too long ago (with a poll even) that scientificalistically proved that it doesn't make any difference and pickups are EVERYTHING!:facepalm:

Afterall, when you have your amp set to teh brootalz and your bitchin' EMG pickups rockin', what difference does tonewood make? Just as long as you have a really thick poly finish. Black. With like, skulls and upsidedown crosses on it and {censored}.:rawk:

I mean, what idiot would sit down and listen to what an electric guitar sounds like ACOUSTICALLY? As if that would actually make any difference in how it sounds through an amp.

Seriously, you'd think some of you guys actually build your own guitars or something. What kind of loser does that?

;)

Archived