Routing For Bridge Humbucker In 98 Gibson Les Paul Special W/P-100's

Charvel1975

• Members

Hello, I have a 98 gibson les paul special w/P-100's that I'm thinking about having routed just in the bridge for a full size humbucker but wanted some pickup recomendations.

I replaced the bridge pickup not long ago with a dimarzio p-90 super distortion but I play modern metal and that pickup is just not cutting it thats why I'm thinking of just having the bridge pickup cavity routed for a regular humbucker with pickup ring. I want to leave the stock neck p-100 so the concept would pretty much be like the les paul bfg's, I was thinking of maybe a seymour duncan sh-6 distortion in the bridge and then of course with the stock neck p-100, any other suggestions?

• Members

A P90/P100 is wider than a reg HB and I don't think that a HB ring will completely cover the rout for a P90. Have you looked into a HB that is made to fit in a P90 rout? Maybe that's what that Dimarzio is, but there are others out there. Pretty sure Rio Grande and BG has such an offering.

D

• Members

lose the p-100s and put some real P-90s in it!

:rawk:

Hell, I'd prefer the P100s which are humbuckers over P90s any day of the week. I've owned guitars with both and prefer the P100s, they sound great. Here is my opinion lol and its harsh for a reason as I have done this and please learn from my mistake: the owner wants to fuck up his guitar by routing it to play modern metal (believe me, you'll grow up one day realize how stupid that was but we all do stupid shit to guitars at one time or another). Just contact BG and have him build you a modern metal, high output humbucker with ceramic magnets that will fit the P100/90 slot.

The Dimarzio you purchased will not get you there. I have a super distortion in a 70s Ibanez LP clone that sounds really bad ass, but you are correct, it will not really get that modern metal tone (not what I go for either). It does that classic rock sound to a tee though!

• Members

Besides not fitting you'd destroy the valuse of the instrument. P100s are decent pickups. I like them over the P90s any day myself. If you want a humbucker, just get a mini. Its not quite as big sounding as a full sized one but they have great tone half way between a single and full sized. Plus you'll have a unique edge over any fender with singles, or guiitar with full sized HB's.

Something like an original Gibby or a Seymor would do the trick. I wouldnt bother with the generics, they all sound pretty much like mud in comparison. The triak is to get something that isnt overwound. If you go overwound you loose all your high freqency. You can always goose it up with dirt boxes but you cant clean up and overwound nor get the responce back.

• Members

The rout has to be done JUST RIGHT or the P-90/100 rout will be exposed at the edge of the PU ring, but it can be done. The rout will end right at the edge of the outer edge of the ring; there really is zero tolerance though, so have a pro do it and make sure they are the "measure twice, cut once" kind of pro.

It's a 98 Special. While not worthless, they is nothing unique or special about the year or model, so it's not like you are modding a rare or vintage guitar.

Or you could just sell it or trade it for a LP Special HB.

Mini's probably won't cut it for you, and while there are companies like Haussel and SK that offer their true HB's in a P-90 mount, their options may not be what you want as well, but Seymour Duncan Custom Shop will make a P-90-size version of just about any HB they make.

• Members

The rout has to be done JUST RIGHT or the P-90/100 rout will be exposed at the edge of the PU ring, but it can be done. The rout will end right at the edge of the outer edge of the ring; there really is zero tolerance though, so have a pro do it and make sure they are the "measure twice, cut once" kind of pro.

It's a 98 Special. While not worthless, they is nothing unique or special about the year or model, so it's not like you are modding a rare or vintage guitar.

Or you could just sell it or trade it for a LP Special HB.

Mini's probably won't cut it for you, and while there are companies like Haussel and SK that offer their true HB's in a P-90 mount, their options may not be what you want as well, but Seymour Duncan Custom Shop will make a P-90-size version of just about any HB they make.

I'd argue that point (respectfully) - while it might be a 98 special, those are really super bad ass sounding guitars to a lot of people, including myself. I had a 2002 with p100s and like a dumb ass traded it for an SG Classic which I thought was a better guitar - maybe was nicer, but feel and tone, the special blew it out of the water.

• Members

For everyone recommending Mini HBs, they will be a worse choice for his intended style than the P100 he is replacing. I have a mini equipped guitar, and "modern metal" really isn't in its vocabulary. HOWEVER, Rio Grande makes a mini-bucker that supposedly sounds like a typical humbucker.

I second the recommendations for a custom HB in a P90-sized package, wound for your tonal preference.

• Members

I'd argue that point (respectfully) - while it might be a 98 special, those are really super bad ass sounding guitars to a lot of people, including myself. I had a 2002 with p100s and like a dumb ass traded it for an SG Classic which I thought was a better guitar - maybe was nicer, but feel and tone, the special blew it out of the water.

But they aren't rare, I see at least one '90's LP Special RI every time I walk into a used store, it is a mass-produced consumer product, let the consumer cut it all he wants.

And once its routed (successfully), the world is his oyster in HB options.

• Members

Hell, I'd prefer the P100s which are humbuckers over P90s any day of the week. I've owned guitars with both and prefer the P100s, they sound great. Here is my opinion lol and its harsh for a reason as I have done this and please learn from my mistake: the owner wants to {censored} up his guitar by routing it to play modern metal (believe me, you'll grow up one day realize how stupid that was but we all do stupid {censored} to guitars at one time or another). Just contact BG and have him build you a modern metal, high output humbucker with ceramic magnets that will fit the P100/90 slot.

The Dimarzio you purchased will not get you there. I have a super distortion in a 70s Ibanez LP clone that sounds really bad ass, but you are correct, it will not really get that modern metal tone (not what I go for either). It does that classic rock sound to a tee though!

This is some good advice. I routed my Hamer special and it was a big mistake. I came to regret it years later cause I'm back with the original p90's with a mangled bridge rout.

• Members
For everyone recommending Mini HBs, they will be a worse choice for his intended style than the P100 he is replacing. I have a mini equipped guitar, and "modern metal" really isn't in its vocabulary. HOWEVER, Rio Grande makes a mini-bucker that supposedly sounds like a typical humbucker.

I second the recommendations for a custom HB in a P90-sized package, wound for your tonal preference.

there are some pretty hi-octane minis out there. They aren't all low output/vintage.

• Members

there are some pretty hi-octane minis out there. They aren't all low output/vintage.

But none will ever have the same thick, creamy, (muddy), phase-y midrange of a real HB, they just don' sense a wide enough area of the string. And the tonal; options are sliver of what is available as a full-size HB.

On the plus side, and the reason I love mini's is they have great note-to-note definition and clarity.

• Members

Hell, I'd prefer the P100s which are humbuckers over P90s any day of the week. I've owned guitars with both and prefer the P100s, they sound great. Here is my opinion lol and its harsh for a reason as I have done this and please learn from my mistake: the owner wants to fuck up his guitar by routing it to play modern metal (believe me, you'll grow up one day realize how stupid that was but we all do stupid shit to guitars at one time or another). Just contact BG and have him build you a modern metal, high output humbucker with ceramic magnets that will fit the P100/90 slot.

+1 on everything.

I have the same guitar

LPJrSpc.jpg

and I like the P-100s. I have plenty of P-90 guitars to compare it against, but the P-100s I believe got a bad rap. Maybe not quite as edgie, but having A/B'd that guitar against this one

Guitars013.jpg

The difference wasn't that great, actually a bit hard to discern the difference between the two Gibby pickups. Folks here whose opinions I respect (like Chairborne and Krashpad) pulled the P-100s out for some upgrades (I remember Chairborne went with Lollars, I don't remember what Brian's choice was) but I've really been fine with these pickups. I think they have a sweet tone and still plenty of vibe.

I also agree that you shouldn't have any problem finding a P-90 sized pickup that will fit your metal needs, and then if/when you want to go back, it will be a piece of cake to get back to a more classic rock tone. It would probably be a good idea to talk with Brian (BG pickups) to have him wind you one that is hot enough, and probably a relatively flat EQ/ceramic magnet, pickup. The Duncan Custom P90 is a bit hotter than the DiMarzio you tried, but it might not be enough of a difference to satisfy you, that's why I think a custom wound might be your best, simplest, least expensive option.

• Members

But they aren't rare, I see at least one '90's LP Special RI every time I walk into a used store, it is a mass-produced consumer product, let the consumer cut it all he wants.

And once its routed (successfully), the world is his oyster in HB options.

I don't know what used stores you frequent, but I never run across P100 equipped Specials. I'd love to find one in fact, the one I sold was a DC Special and it was the one that got away. Man, it ruled.

• Members

I don't know what used stores you frequent, but I never run across P100 equipped Specials. I'd love to find one in fact, the one I sold was a DC Special and it was the one that got away. Man, it ruled.

In fact, just out of curiosity, I had this one in my "watch" list on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260679170251&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It went for $718 + $40 shipping.

Considering I bought mine new for $699.99 (unfortunately + tax) I'd say they're holding their value.

Definitely altering it for a humbucker could knock a couple Benjamins off of that. But OTOH, if someone wants to customize it to be theirs, then that's not a big loss to worry about.

From the bid history, it looks like one kept in good shape would go for $700 + shipping most days of the week.

Mine had a poorly cut nut by the way. Slots were too high. I had it worked on by one hack locally who charged me like $20+ but skipped the nut :rolleyes: (jackass) so then I dropped it off with Randy Parsons in Seattle.

It was kind of busy in there. I remember having to tell some kid named "Jack White" to wait his fuckin turn! :mad:

J/K, but it did go to the same luthier featured in "It Might Get Loud"

What does that add to the value? ;)

:lol:

• Members

Seymour Duncan Custom. Not Custom Custom. Not Custom 12. Just plain old Custom, the best pickup ever invented for Rock

Are you referring to the Seymour Duncan SH-5? If thats the one your talking about I was just checking out demo's of that pickup on youtube and it sounds like a killer pickup for modern metal! I also have an older (one of the really heavy ones) epiphone les paul custom w/ stock pickups that I want to swap out both pickups, what about a seymour duncan SH-5 Custom in the bridge with a sh-2n Jazz in the neck? Would that be a versatile combination?

Archived