Will a 2 or 4X12 cab make my combo louder?

Faber

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have an Epiphone Blues Custom 30 (2x12) that I run triode most of the time. There is not a drummer I have ever had a problem keeping up with.

You either have no idea what you are talking about or you are a troll. Either way, it shows you shouldn't be taken seriously.

That is an EXCELLENT amp that definitely proves the point.:thu:

• Members

When you add speakers of the same efficiency it will just sound bigger because instead of one 12 inch area pushing sound you will have more 12 inch areas pushing out sound, it doesnt make it louder.

But if you add say a Swamp Thang at 103db/1w instead of the 85db:facepalm::rolleyes::lol: you will make the sound louder because the speaker is using the 20w more efficently thus producing more sound.

Also when did JBL make a 107db speaker? This sorta sounds like Carvin's bass amp rating system.

• Members

That is an EXCELLENT amp that definitely proves the point.
:thu:

Thank you, sir. I bought it mainly because it had a tube rectifier and I wanted to see if I could tell a difference between it and a solid state one. I can, but the difference is not that big. It has awesome cleans, although it tends to be on the bright side.

I have played with all-out drummers and drummers that are very tasteful and play with finesse. Even with the loudest ones I have had no problem keeping up. If I needed more headroom I switched to pentode.

I thought I would wind up selling it or trading it but it has turned out to be one that I would keep. My only gripe with it is that it's heavy as hell and doesn't come with casters.

• Members

I have to think that LYSOL and GROOVMONGREL haven't spent much time with 20 watters.

I have a Marshall 2061x head that I bought used. The original owners complaint? "it's too loud".

A 20 watter is about 75% as loud as a 50 watt head. The difference is that you can run it opened up in more situations than a 50 watter or 100 watter.

To those who can run their 100W stacks full out at gigs - I think that's awesome and I'm maybe a little jealous. I don't play venues like that, I play smaller places where 50W and 100W heads would have to run at 9 o'clock or lower, and that's not their best sound of you ask me.

I can run my 20w head and 4x10 cab on the "angry" setting. Turn down the guitar volume for cleans, hit a pedal for more gain. It sounds every bit a Marshall, even if it's a simpler circuit. If you don't think 18/20W Marshalls aren't real Marshalls, you haven't played one, or don't know much about Marshalls.

I also have a 2204, and I'd rather run the 20W turned up than the 2204 with the master on 2.

:cool:

I personally have never used a 100w or 50w amp without somekind of attenuation.

Not since I was a dumb High School kid anyway. :facepalm:

• Members
You can even make it louder by just replacing YOUR speaker with a much more efficient speaker...just check the speaker makers web sites and look for a higher sensitivity rating. Example: Eminence Red Fang.

well, you are certainly correct, but I take it you didn't read thru the posts?:wave:

Archived