Will a 2 or 4X12 cab make my combo louder?

Faber

• Members

Stupid question I suppose but I have very little experience running extention cabinets with combos so I don't know how great a difference it will make, if any.

I have a Soldano Atomic 16 20w 1X12 combo. Fine classic rock crunch sounds out of this thing but it's JUST shy of being able to hang with the band volume wise. Now, I love the sound when I get to push the power stage (volume at 7, master at 9-12), so ideally I'd perfer if I could make this amp a little louder rather than finding another higher wattage amp that I then can't run as hard. Will an extention cab help me get there?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, it will not and if you try hook any old 4x12 up to a 1x12 combo the Ohms will likely be wrong and you can kill your amp quite easily if you don't know what you're doing.

20watts powering a 4x12 is a bit silly anyways, you'd want at least 50 minimum as a 4x12 at 20watts is overkill IMO.

A 2x12 would be better suited. Just make sure you check the ohms of the current speaker and make sure you keep the new speakers at that ohms, total.

• Members

Running your amp through a 2x12 or 4x12 will make your amp appear to be louder, but the bigger rewards will be tonal, not volume.

Oh, and there's nothing wrong with plugging your 15-watt combo or head into a 4x12 cabinet as long as you have the ohms matched up. A huge advantage is that you can crank the master volume without killing everyone's eardrums.

The Mesa-Boogie TransAtlantic sounds killer through a 4x12.

• Members

What's the spl on the amp's current speaker? Efficiency was mentioned. SPL is a measure of this. IIRC it's how many decibels at one meter one watt will produce from a given speaker. So if your amp has a speaker of, say, 80db spl and you yank that in favor of one that has an spl of 100 db you gonna get more balls. It also stands to reason that one 100 db spl speaker will be louder that a 412 loaded with 80's.

• Members

Would you be running the speaker in the amp PLUS the speakers in the cab?

It will definitely be louder because you are moving more air, but depending on what speakers you have and what speakers you get, it might not be a night and day difference.

For example, if you have a very efficient speaker like an EVM 12L in there now, and you add two relatively inefficient speakers like Greenbacks, it will likely not make a big difference. But if you have a Geenback in there and you add two 12Ls it would be tremendous.

• Members

No, it will not and if you try hook any old 4x12 up to a 1x12 combo the Ohms will likely be wrong and you can kill your amp quite easily if you don't know what you're doing.

20watts powering a 4x12 is a bit silly anyways, you'd want at least 50 minimum as a 4x12 at 20watts is overkill IMO.

A 2x12 would be better suited. Just make sure you check the ohms of the current speaker and make sure you keep the new speakers at that ohms, total.

:blah:

lawl.gif

You never heard a 5Watt top driving a 4x12........

More speaker = more moved air = louder !:idea:

• Members

stewpud

• Members
Stupid question I suppose but I have very little experience running extention cabinets with combos so I don't know how great a difference it will make, if any.

I have a Soldano Atomic 16 20w 1X12 combo. Fine classic rock crunch sounds out of this thing but it's JUST shy of being able to hang with the band volume wise. Now, I love the sound when I get to push the power stage (volume at 7, master at 9-12), so ideally I'd perfer if I could make this amp a little louder rather than finding another higher wattage amp that I then can't run as hard. Will an extention cab help me get there?

Depends. I found mine to be plenty loud for a good balanced stage mix with the band. A closed-back 2x12 or 4x12 should give you a better lowend, so it could mean lowering your bass knob, which in turn, would create a little more volume capability. After that, it boils down to efficiencies of the speakers in question. And of course, match your impedances regardless.

• Members

I nominate this for worst post of the day and the day is only half over. :lol:

• Members

More speaker = more moved air = louder !
:idea:

ding ding ding

plain and simple

When I went from running my 1x10 40w combo solo to running in parallel with a 2x12 cab it was noticeably louder and fuller. I had to redial my volume and gain to adjust.

• Members

Mr Math here. Assuming that the speaker in your combo is the same as the ones in the 412 (for argument's sake), doubling the number of speakers will net you an additional 4db (about). Double that again with the 412 and you're 8db louder, which is within a hair of twice as loud. Real world conditions may vary.

• Members
Mr Math here. Assuming that the speaker in your combo is the same as the ones in the 412 (for argument's sake), doubling the number of speakers will net you an additional 4db (about). Double that again with the 412 and you're 8db louder, which is within a hair of twice as loud. Real world conditions may vary.

especially since it isn't accurate.

• Members
Please rebut and learn me sumpin'.

I believe you are forgetting to divide the available power when considering more than one speaker. The less power you send to a speaker, the less the cone moves, therefore, the less air it will move. So a 4x12 cab being fed by 20 watts would only have 5 watts going to each speaker, vs the full 20 watts going to a single driver.

• Members

More air = more volume yes but to a certain extent as its not gonna be like a doubling in volume or anything.

Say you have a 100watt amp and you want an amp twice as loud, you will need a 1,000 watt amp, not a 200 watt amp.

This was the whole point!

This is bull{censored}! To double his volume he needs a 200 watt amp!

Amp volume doubles with a wattage increase by a factor of 10.

• Members

More air = more volume yes but to a certain extent as its not gonna be like a doubling in volume or anything.

Say you have a 100watt amp and you want an amp twice as loud, you will need a 1,000 watt amp, not a 200 watt amp.

This was the whole point!

5 Watt amps are a joke and made for pussies!
:wave:

This is bullshit! To double his volume he needs a 200 watt amp!

Amp volume doubles with a wattage increase by a factor of 10.

Who told you that ^^:facepalm:

No more watts - just 3dB more !

Archived