So have you guys seen the Epi Joe Bonamassa LP? Better priced than the Slash ($699)

GAS Man

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

and the specs

Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Limited Edition Les Paul with Case

Redefining the Blues!

Musicians that redefine an art form are few and far between. Yet in the span of a few years, guitarist Joe Bonamassa has singlehandedly transformed blues rock with his own unique fusion of both old and new ideas. His distinct interpretation of the blues and his extraordinary guitar skills have earned him a fitting a tribute from Epiphone - the new Limited Edition Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Goldtop Outfit. Designed in close cooperation with Joe himself, this new signature model captures the essence of Bonamassa's Goldtop by blending several vintage features from the legendary Les Pauls of the 1950s including a traditional 1959 neck profile and Gibson Burstbucker pickups with a few modern appointments. Limited to 1,000 guitars worldwide, the new Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Goldtop sets a new standard for affordable performance.

Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Features

* 1950's rounded neck profile mahogany neck with long neck tenon for added strenth and sustain

* Mahogany body married to a hard Maple cap for that unique combination of warmth and bite

* Gibson Burstbucker 2 pickup in the neck and the hotter Burstbucker 3 in the bridge for added bite

* Black pickup mounting rings, a black pickguard, black toggle washer and black cavity control covers

* Limited run of only 1,000 guitars will be made

Traditional '59 Les Paul Construction!

There's little argument that the 1959 Les Paul is the "holy grail" of electric guitars and like the '59, the new Bonamassa Goldtop shares many of the same coveted features. It starts with a solid Mahogany body married to a hard Maple cap for that unique combination of warmth and bite. Add to that, a traditional Mahogany neck that is hand-fitted and glued "deep" into the body using premium TiteBond glue. Extending well into the neck pickup cavity, the long-neck tenon provides additional strength and stability to the neck and offers more wood-to-wood contact between the neck and body. This ultimately results in sweeter tone and longer sustain. Also true to it's heritage, the neck features an authentic, 1950's rounded neck profile. Often referred to as "the baseball bat", this neck feels beefy yet comfortable in your hands while adding warmth and sustain with it's greater mass.

Ultimate Vintage Blues Tone!

The classic tone of this new model comes courtesy of Gibson's famed Burstbucker pickups. BurstBuckers replicate the sound of Gibson's original "Patent Applied For" pickups - the pickups that gave the '59 Les Paul Standard its legendary sound. Like the originals, with unpolished magnets and non-potted coils, variations in pickup output and tone also came from inconsistencies in winding the bobbins, a result of the lack of automatic shutoffs on Gibson's winding machines in the late 1950s. Seth Lover, who invented the humbucker, always said they wound the bobbins "until they were full." When two coils in a pickup have a different number of turns, that variation puts a little "edge" or "bite" on the classic humbucker sound. That's the sound BurstBuckers replicate. The neck pickup is a Burstbucker-2 and is wound in the range of Gibson's '57 Classic. The bridge pickup is a Burstbucker-3 and is slightly over-wound with a hotter output that works well in combination with the BB-2 in the neck.

Classic Styling and Attention to Detail!

While most Goldtops feature cream plastic parts and a brown back, the new Bonamassa departs from that tradition with black pickup mounting rings, a black pickguard, black toggle washer and black cavity control covers. The back, sides and neck of the guitar are also black creating a unique and striking Black/Gold combination. Other details include a mis-matched set of bridge/neck pickup knobs (just like Joe's), Epiphone's patent-applied-for LockTone Tune-o-matic and stopbar tailpiece, vintage nickel hardware and premium 14:1 ratio Grover tuners, Epiphone StrapLocks and a 12-inch radius Rosewood fingerboard with 22 nickel/silver alloy medium-jumbo frets. "Bonamassa" is tastefully printed on the bell-shaped trussrod cover in white and the back of the headstock features Epiphone's "Limited Edition" logo in gold.

And That's Not All!

Each new Limited Edition Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Goldtop Outfit comes with a replica Lifton-style hardshell case and a certificate of authenticity personally hand signed by Joe Bonamassa. Combined with Epiphone's Limited Lifetime Warranty backed by 24/7/365 Customer Service, it's a one-of-a-kind package that is a fitting tribute to an extraordinary musician.

Only 1,000 will be made - get yours while you still can.

Collapse Specifications and additional product information

Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Specifications

* Body:

o Back: Mahogany

o Top: Carved Hard Maple Cap

* Neck:

o Material: Mahogany

o Shape: Rounded D-profile; 1959 shape

o Joint: Deep-Set Glued-In

* Truss Rod: Adjustable

* Scale Length: 24.75 inches

* Fingerboard Material: Rosewood with pearloid "Trapezoid" inlays

* Fingerboard Radius: 12 inches

* Frets: 22; medium-jumbo

* Bridge Pickup: Gibson USA BurstBucker 3 Humbucker

* Neck Pickup: Gibson USA BurstBucker 2 Humbucker

* Controls:

o Bridge Volume

o Neck Volume

o Bridge Tone

o Neck Tone

o Epiphone all-metal 3-way toggle

* Bridge: LockTone Tune-o-matic/Stopbar

* Nut Width: 1-11/16 in.

* Hardware: Nickel

* Binding: Body and Fingerboard

* Machine Heads: Grover 14:1 ratio

* Colors: Metallic Gold

* Includes:

o Lifton-style Hardshell Case

o Hand-Signed Certificate of Authenticity

o Epiphone StrapLocks

* Warranty: Epiphone Limited Lifetime

I don't care for the mismatched knobs but that's an easy fix.

Not sure what color that back is. Looks kinda like a slate metallic blue :idk: EDIT: It's black.

But I think it's intriguing that this guitar essentially has most of the goods as the Epi Slash and comes in at MAP at $300 below the Slash.

If you can even get a 10% off deal (should be easy) $630 wouldn't be a bad deal for a sig Epi with Gibson p'ups and hard case.

Now I'm not planning on getting in line for another Epi sig, but just thought I'd through this out there for info and another possible shit flinging fest. ;)

• Members

I don't know, but I did play a Slash Epi yesterday when I stopped in my local GC to get some $2.50 Ernie Ball strings. Pretty damn nice guitar. I'm on the hunt for a nice LP though I'd rather ante up for a Gibson IF I can find one that I love the looks of and it blows me away by how nice it plays. I want either one of the more faded bursts or a faded solid color... Honey burst, desert burst, iced tea burst or something amber-ish like the Slash.

Honestly, the Slash was VERY nice. I don't like the headstock scribble, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. Just makes me feel like I'm back in high school. I didn't play it very loud, but I know the Alnico IIs are very decent pickups. The setup was pretty decent. They have a decent tech on-site so I'm not sure if it came from Gibson like that or if he worked on it a bit. I prefer the fret ends to be more rounded like in my older Korean Epi, but again, that could be fixed.

Overall, it was probably the second nicest LP I've played in 2010 and I've played a LOT of Gibsons.

• Members

Nice to hear cratz.

I know mine is really growing on me (despite the few "issues" I found with my piece) and it just really looks gorgeous sitting here in my man cave propped up against some gigbag and hardcases, propped up against a dresser (man, I should straighten this place up)

On the JB model besides the goldtop draw, the BB2 and BB3 are intriguing. I know that the Epi Elitist Tak Matsumoto used that same combo. But I have yet to fall in love with the BB3. Now the BB1 and BB2 combo I do love. But I haven't given up on the BB3 curiosity yet because I figure that in a deep/warm enough sounding guitar I might like them. I do have a BB3 in a LP Studio BFG and a Joan Jett MM. They just seem better suited for higher gain to my ears. That kind of raw ragged presence that just needs to be cranked so you can get past the desire for warm sweet tones and just get straight to lots of harmonic overtones-ville.

• Members

Don't care about the signature aspect of it but as for the guitar itself..... :love::love::love:

that's one sweet looking guitar. Goldtop, burstbuckers, fat 59 neck profile, long tenon, maple cap, strap locks, I like the mismatched knobs and black trim...gives it a little mojo right out of the box. Man that thing is sweet. It's calling my name!!!!!!!

If I had the money and hadn't just bought a Gibby 50s Tribute, I would most definitely consider one of these.

And yeah, with a discount one could possibly snag one at closer to 600.00. They do have HUGE margins on these. I like it. :thu:

• Members

I'm much more of a Joe B fan than a Slash fan. However, I'm really not big on signature models, other than the Les Paul ones!

Yeah, even though I did get a Slash, I basically look right past the signature aspect of it and look more at the features. The only part that grabs me a bit about the sig is that all of my guitars will eventually go down the road, and the sig designation might help a bit with it's departure. I'm creeping up on 54 so it's easily to see a day around the bend when I won't need mass lumber around me choking off my O2.

But I guess what struck me about this guitar is that even though it seems to have some premium features for an Epiphone, it's still priced a ways down their pricing hierarchy.

Hit the "Sort Price High to Low"

http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemList.aspx?m=2261

• Members

Yeah, even though I did get a Slash, I basically look right past the signature aspect of it and look more at the features. The only part that grabs me a bit about the sig is that all of my guitars will eventually go down the road, and the sig designation might help a bit with it's departure. I'm creeping up on 54 so it's easily to see a day around the bend when I won't need mass lumber around me choking off my O2.

But I guess what struck me about this guitar is that even though it seems to have some premium features for an Epiphone, it's still priced a ways down their pricing hierarchy.

Hit the "Sort Price High to Low"

And just 3 easy payments of $233.00!!!! What can possibly go wrong??

• Members

And just 3 easy payments of $233.00!!!! What can possibly go wrong??

I used to like that deal with AMS. Yeah really. But when they started adding a $3.95 to $9.95 fee for the privilege it really pissed me off because it makes the whole thing a lie. It's $9.95 if you get the 5 payment plan

Do the math -

$233 for 0 days free interest (since that's added to your card immediately)

$233 for 30 days free interest

$233 for 60 days free interest

That's

($233 x 30 + $233 x 60)/365 = Average Annual balance due of $57.45

Then take their charge of $4 divided by the average outstanding balance over a year ($57.45) and you find that it's really an interest rate of 7% (It's worse on most items you might buy on the 5 payment plan). Bastards. :mad: It's just dishonest to call it 0% interest when it really isn't.

I know I'm off the topic of the intent of your post, but it's just one of my little bugga boos.

• Members

I was pretty amazed the other day when Slash-tone started coming out of my LP's SH-2 neck pickup dialed back to about 6 and put on Rhythm position going through the Marshall. Everyone in the room agreed it was a dead on sound, so it makes me wonder how far off the SH-2 is from the Alnico II Pro

• Members

I was pretty amazed the other day when Slash-tone started coming out of my LP's SH-2 neck pickup dialed back to about 6 and put on Rhythm position going through the Marshall. Everyone in the room agreed it was a dead on sound, so it makes me wonder how far off the SH-2 is from the Alnico II Pro

They're pretty close as far as output. Looks like Seymour put the Jazz as being a bit brighter with a bit less bass than the Alnico II.

I like the Jazz p'up. It depends upon the guitar, but there's no "muddy neck" with a Jazz fer sher. They are really excellent for heavier/metal music from the neck position since that pickup retains so much definition even with loads of gain.

• Members

I like it. If you were to buy a BB2 and BB3 you would be set back over $200. So the price seems to be in line with an Epi LP Goldtop plus the BBs. Seems to me to be a great looking guitar, with good specs, at a reasonable price. What's not to like?

• Members

I like it. If you were to buy a BB2 and BB3 you would be set back over $200. So the price seems to be in line with an Epi LP Goldtop plus the BBs. Seems to me to be a great looking guitar, with good specs, at a reasonable price. What's not to like?

AND a "Lifton-style Hardshell Case"

N_1986h.jpg

Since we most Epi LP you get "zilch" that adds about another $150 or so to the deal. Even an Epi HSC would be what, around $70?'

Deal's looking sweeter all the time. ;)

"Monday, November 29, 2010

Epiphone Introduces The Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Goldtop Outfit"

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=1986

• Members

Any idea on country of origin? I assume far east, but which?

I was wondering the same thing. Like why would it be $300 MAP less than the Slash model. Sure, Joe probably doesn't charge as much as Slash does to sign the certificate, and the Flame Veneer on the Slash would cost a bit on materials and labor, but $300 diff?

I would guess it's MIC but could wonder about that. But it seems like only the lower end Epis are coming from other countries. My '66 RI Worn Wilshire came from Indonesia.

Archived