So have you guys seen the Epi Joe Bonamassa LP? Better priced than the Slash ($699)

GAS Man

• Members

AND
a "Lifton-style Hardshell Case"

N_1986h.jpg

Since we most Epi LP you get "zilch" that adds about another $150 or so to the deal. Even an Epi HSC would be what, around $70?'

Deal's looking sweeter all the time.
;)

"Monday, November 29, 2010

Epiphone Introduces The Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Goldtop Outfit
"

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=1986

I'm starting to get the feeling that their limited run is going to sell out quick. If you're sold y'all better preorder asap.

I'm digging it quite a bit, and I don't normally like sig. guitars or LPs in general... and I already have a Gibson LP.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was wondering the same thing. Like why would it be $300 MAP less than the Slash model. Sure, Joe probably doesn't charge as much as Slash does to sign the certificate, and the Flame Veneer on the Slash would cost a bit on materials and labor, but $300 diff?

I would guess it's MIC but could wonder about that. But it seems like only the lower end Epis are coming from other countries. My '66 RI Worn Wilshire came from Indonesia.

Most all of these really good Special runs come from Qingdao unless it's something unique like the Pro FX which is made in Dalian China (Daewon/Rally)

That Swingster is nothing more than a Samick Artist Jazz box with an Epiphone namesake! That's not a bad thing though because Samick are still the kings at making the big box guitars.

• Members

I'm starting to get the feeling that their limited run is going to sell out quick. If you're sold y'all better preorder asap.

I'm digging it quite a bit, and I don't normally like sig. guitars or LPs in general... and I already have a Gibson LP.

Same feeling I get. It's one of the most appealing epis I've seen in a long time. I have two gibson LPs and one epi LP and I really like this one, at least based on the pics and the specs on paper. Could end up playing like a dog for all I know but so far I'm sold!! I only wish I had the extra $$$. Maybe if they're still available after tax time....

• Members

Who the hell is Joe bonamassa?

Decent geet tho

I saw him all over some guitar mags, and thought the same thing. Then I saw him on Paladia a month or so ago, and I was impressed.

I'm in the camp that's never really looked at signature models, but that does look like a nice goldtop with great features. If I had it, I'd just switch the truss rod cover and the mismatched knobs and be happy with a sweet guitar.

• Members

I saw him all over some guitar mags, and thought the same thing. Then I saw him on Paladia a month or so ago, and I was impressed.

I'm in the camp that's never really looked at signature models, but that does look like a nice goldtop with great features. If I had it, I'd just switch the truss rod cover and the mismatched knobs and be happy with a sweet guitar.

I actually like the mismatched knobs. Gives it a little built in mojo and character, imo.

• Members

Most all of these really good Special runs come from Qingdao unless it's something unique like the Pro FX which is made in Dalian China (Daewon/Rally)

That Swingster is nothing more than a Samick Artist Jazz box with an Epiphone namesake! That's not a bad thing though because Samick are still the kings at making the big box guitars.

I was wondering if it was out of Korea. I own a few guitars made there and have not been disappointed with any of them.

• Members

As of today, MF is now listing this guitar too.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Joe-Bonamassa-Les-Paul-Electric-Guitar?sku=H65655

I put in a reserve order for one at AMS.

Stupid yeah, but I figure I'm in line and can jump if I change my mind before January.

AMS doesn't tax me, MF does so that's a $60 savings there.

• Members

Never been a big fan of gold tops, but yeah... if it plays as nice as the Slash Appetite Epi, I think it would be a pretty decent value... for a brand new guitar. I almost always buy used, but yeah... $700 including the nice case and the BB pickups... not too shabby.

I sold a guitar cab today and I met the guy at one of our local Guitar Centers. Killing some time, I played the Slash Goldtop model. Definitely don't like how it looks as much as the amber flamed maple version, but this was a really nice playing guitar. Being really picky, there were two spots where the gold finish bled into the binding and one of the frets was high, but only on the G and B strings. The high E and the D were fine, but the G and B fretted one extra fret up. An easy fix, but kinda shaky for $1000 that is supposedly inspected and set up in the USA.

I also played a $300 Sterling by Music Man and that guitar was really nice for the money as well. It was in the vintage room and the only amp they had that I'm familiar with was a Deluxe Reverb Reissue. The single coils sounded pretty OK, but I couldn't really check out the HB. If it sounds decent enough, that would get my vote for best/most versatile guitar under $300 to cover hard rock and some single coil stuff. The finish and feel was as good as the $1,000 Epi.

• Members

I actually like the mismatched knobs. Gives it a little built in mojo and character, imo.

To be honest, I do too - it's the first thing I noticed about his guitar when I saw him on TV. I'm just irrational when it comes to signature models, and I'd try to make it look like it wasn't a signature model. Nonsensical for sure, but that's what I'd probably do.

• Members

Anybody know for sure whether or not the pot shafts on these Epis are the same size as the pot shafts on Gibsons?

If I do get it, I'd be tempted to go with either all gold knobs w inserts, like the bridge p'up controls, OR switch them all to either black speed or black with inserts to match the rest of the black plastics.

blskncosetof.jpg OR vigstchtoblb.jpg

All black plastics might be the coolest since the back and sides are also a black finish. Kind of an odd combo body color, i.e. gold and black, but I'd like to see it in the flesh before rendering my own verdict.

According to the write-up, Joe went with the mis-matched knobs so he can feel the difference wihthout pulling back from the mic for a visual check. Since I don't perform anywhere near that level, I can afford the glance down. ;)

Just toss the originals in the guitar case and no alteration's done. :thu:

• Members

Anybody know for sure whether or not the pot shafts on these Epis are the same size as the pot shafts on Gibsons?

Epi's (most imports) and Gibsons use different knobs.

Gibson knobs won't work.

I know the knurling is different (fine vs. coarse) but I can't recall which uses which.

Go with cheaper knobs. The pricier ones use the Gibson knurling.

• Members

Now if you lived in England you could get this at a much better price:wave:

V100MRJBM.jpg

What's the scoop on Vintage anyway?

I've read a lot of good about them but some bad as well. I've seen more than one person complain that the frets are soft and wear quickly.

Is the body thinner than a normal LP? It looks that way in pics.

• Members

Why oh why the pickguard and black hardware?

Because it looks better that way. IMO he should have gone with black bridge pieces and thick black binding on the body like the binding from warmoth (obviously in black rather than white/cream). That would be one killer looking guitar.

The black definately looks better than the cream on my '56 RI.

Thicker binding:

fullfrontal_full.jpg

Archived