So have you guys seen the Epi Joe Bonamassa LP? Better priced than the Slash ($699)

GAS Man

• Moderators

What's the scoop on Vintage anyway?

I've read a lot of good about them but some bad as well. I've seen more than one person complain that the frets are soft and wear quickly.

Is the body thinner than a normal LP? It looks that way in pics.

I think it is a smidge thinner, but the guys to ask would be our resident Vintage endorsees.

I'm halfway to hitting this

AV1HNFSMALL.jpg

These were retailing at well over 350 when they came out

AV1HNF3SMALL.jpg

But I hear that they are sometimes up around the 10lb mark, and I just bought a Greco LPC:facepalm:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I also think that for some reason, different makers have different results with their unpotted pickups. Being a clean and low gain player, I usually get along with unpotted pickups just fine, but I routinely play a guitar with Seth Lovers through a nearly fully cranked Tweed Deluxe... And I've been messing around with my POD HD500 for a while... run it into a Peavey Prowler tube amp... LOTS of volume and my Seth Lovered guitar is probably the one I've played through it the most recently. Not a big deal.

But, my buddy has a Paul with the BB1/BB2 combo... As much as I love the sound of that guitar for cleans and low to medium gain stuff, it wouldn't be my first choice for a medium to high gain situation. They seem to have more issues than my Seth Lovers.

:ikd:

• Members

I'd have to change the knobs, but I dig the all-black plastic on the goldtop. Nice set of features for the money, hopefully the QC is okay. I'm generally not a huge Epi fan but if it's made decently that's a lot of guitar for the money.

What's the scoop on Vintage anyway?

I've read a lot of good about them but some bad as well. I've seen more than one person complain that the frets are soft and wear quickly.

Is the body thinner than a normal LP? It looks that way in pics.

Vintages actually are available in the US - people on here seem to dig them, but I've played their highest end relic'ed Strat-style and it had very bad frets, a really bad looking relic job (they don't actually relic it, it's a paint job, like wallpaper), and I didn't find the tones any better than a MIM Strat. $500, no thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Update, I will be getting the Epi today!
:wave:

Coolness! Where is yours comnig from?? I ordered mine from AMS and they are still not showing it cominng in until at least January 10th.

Please post a review once yours comes in. I've been a bit "on the fence" about this order. My last purchase, the Epi Slash, had some issues like a "too low cut nut" and therefore "high action" that had to be dealt with (picking it up from the tech today), so it shook my confidence a bit on the upper end Epis. On the other hand, I'm looking forward to hearing a BB2 in the neck position on an LP. I think that feature itself will be pretty sweet. I have a couple guitars with the BB3 in the bridge (a JJ MM and a LP Studio w BFG Electronics) and that can be a bit of a beast to wrangle. But if the Epi JB is as solid as the Slash, then it should tame that beast a bit more than my other two BB-3s. Anyway, just my thoughts so I'll be curious to hear of your experience with one.

• Members

Coolness! Where is yours comnig from?? I ordered mine from AMS and they are still not showing it cominng in until at least January 10th.

Please post a review once yours comes in. I've been a bit "on the fence" about this order. My last purchase, the Epi Slash, had some issues like a "too low cut nut" and therefore "high action" that had to be dealt with (picking it up from the tech today), so it shook my confidence a bit on the upper end Epis. On the other hand, I'm looking forward to hearing a BB2 in the neck position on an LP. I think that feature itself will be pretty sweet. I have a couple guitars with the BB3 in the bridge (a JJ MM and a LP Studio w BFG Electronics) and that can be a bit of a beast to wrangle. But if the Epi JB is as solid as the Slash, then it should tame that beast a bit more than my other two BB-3s. Anyway, just my thoughts so I'll be curious to hear of your experience with one.

Well, I order 2 (trying to make sure I will get one :poke:)... One from GC and one from MF...

Both shipped on the 23rd.... I will keep only one (I think), I will do a pic, set up, and sound comparison.... I hope both are CLOSE which it will imply that QC is consistant in Epiphone with these ltd ed guitars...

Omar :thu:

• Members

Ah, yes, the Favorite Son, MF/GC gets theirs first, no surprise I guess. I had to go with AMS or pay 8.5% tax. :( I almost snagged one from Sweetwater (which probably would have been even a longer wait) but they only had four coming in. They made me a nice offer in the morning (still had two left to sell) but when I called them back at noon, all gone :(

Surprising that some vendors like SW would only get 4.

• Members

Ah, yes, the Favorite Son, MF/GC gets theirs first, no surprise I guess. I had to go with AMS or pay 8.5% tax.
:(
I almost snagged one from Sweetwater (which probably would have been even a longer wait) but they only had four coming in. They made me a nice offer in the morning (still had two left to sell) but when I called them back at noon, all gone
:(

Surprising that some vendors like SW would only get 4.

Well, when I contact my Sales Engineer, the guitars were spoken for... THAT is why I order from MF and GC, I wanted to make sure I got at least one... I would have PREFER to order from Sweetwater....

Waiting for the Brown truck is NOT FUN!!! Last week I got one UPS delivery at Noon on the 22nd, and one delivery on th 23rd at 8pm... Hopefully they get here SOON!

Thanks!

Omar :thu:

• Members

hate that when that happens.
:mad:

I know... I am more upset because I STAYED home ALL Day to avoid a sticky notice on the door... tomorrow, I was supposed to go out with the wife to do some After-Christmas Shopping... Maybe I can look for an excuse to stay until the guitars arrive.... mmmmmmm, I know, I'll clean and shine the hardwood floors! or at least, I'll pretend! :D

• Members

From His website

Originally Posted by Joe Bonamassa

Yeah.... Im flattered that they think enough of me to do that but I would suggest saving your money for the Epiphone JB model due out this year. I have the prototype on the bus and its ace. Burst buckers, good hardware and this one is pretty light. Not to butter my own bread but get one thats sanctioned. I want to try the "imposter" and see if it plays ok. Again, they are all like my children.

Joe B

Originally Posted by Joe Bonamassa

I dont have a actual launch date for the Epi- JBLP. I would guess in the next 3 to 4 months. Gibson moves pretty fast when the Prototypes are done. I am stoked about it. I really think they sound good. I even A- B'd the epi with the real thing. It gets the Joe Brand seal of approval. Price I dont know, but will come with a certificate that I will sign and I will be in the ball park of similar models

Thanks

Joe B.

Archived