How about a KILLER FEMALE VOCALS Thread?

GAS Man

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A few GLARING singers missing:

Probably the most brilliant female singer/arranger/composer/musician I've seen, Imogen Heap:

Florence & the Machine (been listening to this a lot lately...like a modern day Grace Slick, even ripped off, er, "wrote" a song about Alice in Wonderland):

[video=youtube;7nxO-yPQesA]

I'm also a fan of Paramore's Hayley Williams, Bjork, and early Gwen Stefani. Lady Gaga's one hell of a singer but I can't stand most of her music. Same with Amy Winehouse, phenomenal voice and used to be gorgeous too, but with that mouth I can't listen to more than a couple songs at a time.

• Members

Not too many remember Linda anymore from when she used to rock and roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeYtyw8vgn4

Zappa hired Tina and the Ikettes to do some backing vox on the Over-Nite Sensation album. Ike, the control-freak asshole, wouldn't let Zappa pay them more than $25/song each, because that's what Ike paid them. The part on "Montana" was very difficult, but they nailed it after a day. But Tina listened to the part on "Dirty Love," said "Sheeeit, I could do that blindfolded with a broomstick up my ass," and nailed it in three takes -- one for each harmony part. In honor of the Beatles vs. Stones thread:

[video=youtube;M-ZBYZZWJbk]

Just passed yesterday. A friend tipped me to this clip, which I posted this in her RIP thread, but it's so goddamn amazing it belongs here too.

Nikka brings it live like few others these days:

.. And so does Gracie:

• Members

[video=youtube;w76dv8k-ZT4]

really? she dont belong here at all..

but man this is a FREAKING HEAVY cover...

im a love fan.. maybe not a fan of the lady now..

but for a time.. she was on the very edge and just outstanding HARD ASS ROCK...

• Members

Apart Chrissie-->which OWNS that song from the middle she is the weirdo

Not sure exactly what you meant by that, but here's a different Chrissy -- truly acting the weirdo in this one.

This is a long ways away from their later hit "I Touch Myself," and powerful as hell.

Going back a few decades -- this one is a classic from 1957. Give it time, let it build:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agp2on83hrA

Archived