EVH, Michael Douglas, Steve Jobs,...and now me.

's mel gibson

• Members

Yah! BC Bud is a winner in some European circles. It certainly ain't ditch-weed. Very distinctive odor (eau d'skunk or something like that)

I was thinkig of getting my head shaved ala "Joe". I got a short one anyways a few days ago. I know I don't want to leave a mess every where I go like a dog shedding fur in the spring. Some how, I sort of think I might l might like the look of missing patches of hair. Unless it all falls out evenly and perfectly.

Does it fall out with roots and all? Or do the hair follicles break off at the scalp line? Apparently, the hair begins to grow back after chemo. But how does it grow back? Evenly or looking like a bad lawn?

Sorry to hear the bad news. I wish you the best of luck during and after treatment. My friend's mom had lung cancer. She beat it--14 years later, she's doing fine. So keep thinking positively.

As for the hair, it falls out roots and all, but some hair follicle cells remain in the scalp. Once chemo ends, they start dividing and reconstitute the hair, so it will definitely grow back, probably in as good a shape as it was before treatment.

One other thing: people have been suggesting a lot of alternative therapies here. I'm sure it's with the best of intentions, but if you want to try anything off the beaten path, clear it first with your doctors. These alternative therapies are unregulated and largely untested, and you don't know whether they will interfere with your chemotherapeutic medications. God forbid they lessen the effectiveness of your standard cancer therapy. Follow your doctors orders--they are based on large-scale clinical trials that have been confirmed by the scientific community.

Again, best of luck to you.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't worry so much about the hair. It will grow back. It might be a different color and the texture of a baboon's ass but it will grow back :lol:

One thing about these herbal cures... They basically work on your nut and you may as well rub them on it when your hair falls out. They mean well and for the most part there is no harm in them. Just don't make the fatal mistake of relying on dime store cures. You are already getting the best standard of care for your disease. Do as your doctor's tell you and keep your head up. You will come out the other side, but ain't gonna lie to you. It is going to really suck BAD for a while.

• Members
EVH, Michael Douglas, Steve Jobs,...and now me.

Hey man, you left out "Brian Krashpad!" Had surgery in November for what was thought to be a cyst (needle biopsy was clean) since I'm a non-smoker. Nope! Took out my left tonsil (tumor) and a couple lymph nodes (spots) and another 18 clean nodes just to be safe. Have been in radiation and chemo since mid-December. 7 more zaps and one or two more chemo infusions to go! Have been going to work most days but stayed home today.

I don't have any info about alternative treatments or anything, just trying to do what my docs suggest, not lose too much weight (have lost about 20 pounds, partly just from no more beer but mainly because the chemo has made me lose my sense of taste and the neck-zapping has made my mouth really raw), and see the humor in things when I can (and yes, funny stuff still happens, sometimes moreso).

Feel free to PM me any time, and an even better resource is the Cancer Survivors Network here:
http://csn.cancer.org/

Prayers for you and mojo to you in your battle! You can do it! Be well!

fcancer.png

• Members

Mucho Mojo on the way.

I had a friend who had the disease, and was given 6 months. She lasted over 7 years by making her body very alkaline. She ate alkaline forming foods, drank alkaline water (high mineral content) and measured her ph every day to stay around 7.5.

She also avoided sugar and high glycemic foods like the plague. She reasoned that when they test for cancer, they put a tracer into sugar and see where it goes, as the cancers are very sugar hungry.

I don't really know if this worked or if she just had good luck, but it might be worth investigating.

Also go to Life Extension foundation, they claim to have some supplements to enhance the chemo and radiation effectiveness and minimize the damage.

Also, I'm not a doctor, nor am I qualified to give medical advice, so check it out before trying anything.

Good luck
Notes

• Members

Wow, sobering news brother. I'll be adding you to my prayers. Stay strong though the treatments. Even if you don't feel like fighting some mornings you still need to. For the people that love you as well as yourself. And pray, it works!

Like the man says,

Live Strong.

• Members

Don't worry so much about the hair. It will grow back. It might be a different color and the texture of a baboon's ass but it will grow back
:lol:

One thing about these herbal cures... They basically work on your nut and you may as well rub them on it when your hair falls out. They mean well and for the most part there is no harm in them. Just don't make the fatal mistake of relying on dime store cures. You are already getting the best standard of care for your disease. Do as your doctor's tell you and keep your head up. You will come out the other side, but ain't gonna lie to you. It is going to really suck BAD for a while.

This is true and I don't think anyone mentioning alternative therapies would suggest using those instead of conventional treatment. On the other hand, do your own research. It's not hard to do. Your particular doctor may be open to alternative therapies or not, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. In fact I prefaced my comments with the comment about following your doctors orders. I do know for a fact though that the lady I mentioned who beat lymphoma (she's still cancer free a decade later and she's in her late 70's) Anyway, her oncologist tried to dissuade her from using the essiac tea, but watching her be cured after he had told her there was no hope, he is now a big believer in alternative therapies. Moral of the story is that doctors are human too. They know a lot but not everything and they are subject to unscientific bias just like the rest of us.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.

• Members

More Mojo man

Lots of good advice here but as said before clear anything additional you want to do with you doctors. You don't want to start taking a miracle cure and find that it makes you sicker than the chemo does. My Mom and a few good friends have gone through what you are about to go through and it's not going to be any fun and your attitude will go a long way towards winning. Stay strong even though it will be hard

I'll be watching this space to see that you beat it and if I move to Vancouver (still working to convince the wife) we'll jam together to celebrate :thu:

• Members

Lots of this bad stuff going around. Sorry to hear this, and hope that you are able to fight it off. Can't say there's any magic bullet, because we'e all individuals, and each person's disease is unique, but I hope you're able to find the formula that works for you.

Archived