Paul Dean: Wow!

Brainfertilizer

• Members

I caught on that he was kind of an inside joke reference, but I wasn't sure why.

Then I googled, found and read an interview with him.

Holy crap! The guy had to be an inspiration for Nigel Tufnel, as far as having faily elementary ideas/abilities, but talking about his music philosophy as if he was Socrates on Guitar.

• Members

I don't get it. I don't get the reverence nor the hate.

Because of this thread, I googled an interview with him and found this one:

http://www.famousinterview.ca/interviews/paul_dean.htm

He seems normal to me. Who can fault a guy that's "Working For The Weekend"? I can't.

[video=youtube;rutArtds6r8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rutArtds6r8

• Members

Paul Dean and Mike Reno made love after every show. Just look at the love in their eyes.

Oh yeah, you can totally see Mike checking out Paul's ass in the intro. :thu:

All that side, the drummer's got the most hilarious faces. And Mike Reno dances like a constipated bear. :lol:

• Members

Sorry for not including the link.

Here it is.

The part that I laughed out loud at:

In the key of A I might do some licks around the open fifth string, and on the G String around the 2nd fret. Then I'd probably move up to the standard A chord at the 5th fret, top four strings {sings A C# E A}. In that positon I like to bend the D on the third string. 7th fret, up to E, and the G on the second string, 8th fret up to A. Then I'll play with my 1st finger on the A at the 10th fret second string, and work around that. There I would bend the A and the B on the second string, as well as the E on the first string up to high G. I like to bend the fifth up to the flatted seventh a lot. I just play out of the blues scale.

Q. What kind of rhythm chords work best?

A. I usually just play chords that have a root, a fifth, and a root, from low to high. If we get too far away from that sound, people raise their eyebrows and think that something sounds weird. I'm really comfortable with those, because there are a lot of variations you can do--and those are different feels, rhythms, and spaces that you can use. Muting the strings with my right hand has a lot to do with getting different sounds with that type of chord.

But maybe I'm being too harsh...

• Members

I thought is was honest, from a workingman guitarist. I laughed when he said himself, that guitar solos are boring.

the band was just on the edge of minor stardom at this point. I always thought he was pretty talented, even the streetheart stuff.

good arrangements/hooks

• Members

Sorry for not including the link.

The part that I laughed out loud at:

But maybe I'm being too harsh...

Out of context, I'd SWEAR it was a 15 year old giving that interview. No, the article says he's 37.

There's nothing wrong with playing root-fifth power chords all the time but PLEASE don't try to become "the theory guy" if that's all you have to say. This guy is so high on his horse, he makes it sound like he INVENTED palm-muting.

• Members

I always liked this guy: "Commerical-Pop-Rock" guitarist.

Always thought he had good guitar tone.

Alot of guitarist in that time frame are kinda overlooked. They played for the song, and were good working guitarists.

John Lilly of Hooters; Van Temple of The Producers, etc etc

• Members

Out of context, I'd SWEAR it was a 15 year old giving that interview. No, the article says he's 37.

There's nothing wrong with playing root-fifth power chords all the time but PLEASE don't try to become "the theory guy" if that's all you have to say. This guy is so high on his horse, he makes it sound like he INVENTED palm-muting.

Yeah, that's what made me laugh.

Also "root-fifth-root, bottom to top"...I half-expected him to say he sometimes "plays it top to bottom for a really professional-type variation..."

• Members

This guy is so high on his horse, he makes it sound like he INVENTED palm-muting.

I'm not seeing it. He makes 2 passing comments about palm muting and nothing there suggests to me that he thinks he invented it. If you want to hear someone on a high horse check out some of the Malmsteen interviews.

• Members

The only thing I ever really noticed about Paul Dean is that he seemed to be at least 10 years older than anyone else in the band. He looked old even back in the day. Kind of like Mick Mars in MC..

That's because like Mick Mars, he is really about 10 years older than the rest of his bandmates. Bon Scott, had the same situation in AC/DC.

Archived