Paul Dean: Wow!

Brainfertilizer

• Members

Why do I see so many videos from the 70's and 80's that involve mic sharing? Was there a mic shortage back then? It DOES look at least a little bit gay, there's no denying it. I would vote for everyone having their OWN mic and not having to swap spit if I were in charge.

I swear the director of that Loverboy video gave them specific instructions to hold their faces an inch and a half away from each other at all times. Constantly. Throughout the entire song. That would HAVE to be awkward.

• Members

On a whim, I picked up a Loverboy "best of" cd last weekend for $5. And all of a sudden he's all over the HCEG forums. I guess I don't get the joke. Seems like a decent enough player for what he did.

Maybe it isn't an inside joke...I might have gotten the wrong impression.

But I was reading this thread asking who is the most copied player of all time, and someone started off the Paul Dean argument with this:

Paul Dean. His name comes up all the time. You can even ask non-guitar players to name their fave guitar player and it's Paul Dean. When he played a red Hondo it seemed like every kid in the world went out and got one. He may not be to my liking but to deny his huge impact on guitar playing is just foolish. He is to guitar playing what Scott Weiland is to ham products.

At that moment I couldn't even remember who Paul Dean was, and with the number of posts agreeing/emphasizing the point, I just started to get an impression he had become a faux guitar hero.

He's decent, obviously, but didn't even come close to changing the history of rock as we know it. The proof, I think, is that Jack Black has never made a reference to Paul Dean or Loverboy, whether in Tenacious D, School of Rock, or High Fidelity.

• Members

I clicked on the link to the interview that was posted. I actually liked the part where he talked about what positions he uses to solo in A. It seems elementary now, but when I was 14, that was the kind of stuff I love to read about. Especially considering that most famous guitarists aren't so forthcoming about their tricks of the trade. Didn't sound like he was claiming to invent anything either.

• Members

Why do I see so many videos from the 70's and 80's that involve mic sharing? Was there a mic shortage back then? It DOES look at least a little bit gay, there's no denying it.

Sheesh. It looks cool is how it looks. Anyone who saw John & Paul singing harmonies into the same mic back in the early 60s (when there may have been a shortage of channels in mixing boards, for all I know) is aware of this. See also Mick & Keith, Joe Perry & Steven Tyler, and Bruce Springsteen & Clarence Clemons. It's a classic stage move. It may also let you harmonize better when you're standing right next to each other than when you're trying to pick the other guy's voice out of a dodgy monitor mix.

But you go right on looking for gayness if you're really eager to see it; that's your issue.

Archived