LP build thread: Walnut and Sipo and hollowed out (LOTS of BIG pics)

deafinoneear

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Chrome hardware, carved top, binding, and if you have some walnut or one of the other woods left, cut out a pickguard out of that. You can always take the guard off if you don't want it, but having a matching walnut guard would be great. Also, make a bunch of the plastic parts (mounting rings, switch washer, truss rod cover) wood instead, that'll look better. I love the wooden parts on my guitar.

I made a mahogany guard for the LP I built, and inlaid the outer edge with pearl to give it definition, same with the washer and truss rod cover. Looks great against the blonde flame top, and I can take the pickguard off if I want a change of pace.

Whatever you do, use as much of that wood as possible. It's gorgeous.

• Members

One of the few for gold, which is where I'm leaning. I'm just not sure about an f-hole though. I want to know why people say to put on in... what's your reasoning?

Everyone's saying no pickguard with the carved top, but what about a nice one made out of the same curly walnut? I think that might look pretty killer.

Why so much hate for pickguards around here?

The pickguard will cover up the figure of the top. I would worry if you used another piece as the pickguard, you would end up with a clashing pattern that would ultimately be a distraction.

You could always get a pickguard and then make the decision to add it later. On a LP it is only like 2 screws.:thu:

• Members

Alright, my first build thread! :thu:I did two mockup's in Kisekae, first in chrome:

Then in gold:

E3NbN.jpg

I can't decide what I want, but I'm leaning towards gold as I don't have a guitar with gold hardware and the richness of the wood lends itself to the gold I think. What do you think?

I like this second version but with chrome hardware. Keep the amber knobs on it. And I agree with others about no pickguard even though 9/10 times I want to see one on a guitar. That wood grain is just too beautiful to have to lose the effect.

• Members

I like this second version but with chrome hardware. Keep the amber knobs on it. And I agree with others about no pickguard even though 9/10 times I want to see one on a guitar. That wood grain is just too beautiful to have to lose the effect.

It's all or nothing. All gold or all chrome, no mix or matching. I'm thinking I might just make the knobs though, out of the leftover walnut. Might even do the pickup covers.

That's not the real wood though-- just something I got online and used as an overlay in Kisakae.

• Members

It's all or nothing. All gold or all chrome, no mix or matching. I'm thinking I might just make the knobs though, out of the leftover walnut. Might even do the pickup covers.

That's not the real wood though-- just something I got online and used as an overlay in Kisakae.

Oh, god no. Please don't go covering everything with the wood! I think that's a terrible look, IMO. And no PG - as others said, it will cover up that nice top too much.

Anyway, I'm sub'd!!!! This is going to be gorgeous. I think, based on your original Photochop, that you go without inlays. :thu::thu::thu:

• Members

Very cool. I vote for gold hardware and carved top w. flamed maple binding. Small dot inlays too.

Maybe you can explain the reasson for the bookmatch vs. using a single piece of figured wood? Not just on yours, but on all guitars?

• Members

Soooooo, can we talk headstocks?

I'm in a holding period right now because I've been trying to get the hang of making a set neck mortise and tenon joint. I've been practicing on scrap fir and it's going alright, already made two, but I'd like to make one or two more before I commit to the nice wood I've used for this neck... it'd be easy to fudge it up seeing as how it's my first.

Anyway, one thing I haven't committed to is the headstock. While I appreciate the classic shapes of the big guys, those shapes are essentially their stamp, their signature, and I don't want someone else signing something I've built. Plus, this build isn't trying to be a LP really. My next build will actually be a '59 replica to as close as I can get, so I'll worry about correctness then.

So lets go over designs I like.

I've always been drawn to the idea of an indented headstock. Here's a beautiful example on a Bendetto:

AR3526h.jpg

And a the known design of D'Aquisto:

AR3911h.jpg

How about another Bendetto:

gYHJ3.jpg

D'Angelico's are fun:

45U1184_headstock-front.jpg

While overly busy, this one sure is interesting:

Ibanez%202671%20Artist%20HS.JPG

Kinda gaudy, but here's one:

headstock-augusta.jpg

There are, of course, non-indented headstocks I think are sexy, like this one:

2902.jpg

I think the elongated Epiphone headstocks are super cool:

headstock.jpg

• Members

I also seem to like offset:

headstock.jpg

This is cool, though it looks like my accountants hair:

arch_top_headstock.jpg

Anyway, you catch my drift. I like the different ones. I had an idea for a headstock a while back that was based off of a How it's Made I saw which shows heated hockey skates being made. Here's what I drew:

A8yHa.jpg

After some playing around, I came up with this:

9wMr2.jpg

Now, I know this is a LP style guitar, and those usually have 3 on a side, straight up headstocks, but I'm really wanting a straight string pull here. Yes, I know, there's the bend from the angled headstock, but I'd rather have one angle, not two. So this brings up a problem-- in order to do this correctly, 3-up, you've got to have a pretty skinny headstock, and skinny isn't exactly what you think of when you think of this style.

Anyway, playing around in photoshop, I came up with this, which allows for room for the tuners, has straight string pull and also has some interest in the design:

U0KBH&bpmKIl&Tp6jP

Here's one with a fatter top end:

Tp6jP.jpg

You'll notice that I rounded off the ends of the protrusions. My wife thought that it would go with the body design better, and like my last build, it's nice to have a design element repeated in both the headstock and the body... helps the brain take it in I suppose

Last guitar:

f1SMp.jpg

For this one, also the cutaway:

u74iK.jpg

(BTW, that's a darkfire, not mine.)

I don't know if it was subliminal or not, but after doing a bunch of designs I realized that what I was drawing bared a striking resemblance to the key wrench for my die grinder, pictured here:

PMDZ8.jpg

Coincidence? Hmmmmmm....

And just for shits and giggles, here's something I just thought up. I know it's kinda crazy, but I do like the headstocks on Gibson F mandos, and thought I'd just throw it out there. Keep in mind this is a quick mockup-- I'd make it prettier with more time. Plus it'll give me a bigger area to inlay my logo:

U0KBH.jpg

What are your guys thoughts? I know a fair amount of people are just going to freak because it's not LP accurate and as guitarists we're all quite a bit conservative, but for those of you that can help, constructive criticism and ideas are certainly welcome.

Also, if you'd like to play around with the design some, here's a zip of both Photoshop files of the skinny and fat-topped headstocks, and the skinny one has the mando idea in it.

Thanks for the help guys!

Archived